2017 in Reflection

2017 in Reflection

How 2017 changed my life for the better.

143
2017 in Reflection
HD Wallpapers

With a new year beginning, it's always important to reflect on the previous year with all of its ups and downs. While each year is significant to developing yourself as a person, 2017 had one of the most positive impacts on me. If you had asked me last January, I never would have predicted myself to be where I am and who I am today.

At the start of 2017, I was halfway through my senior year of high school which was exciting in itself. Weekdays were full of crew preseason and musical rehearsals and weekends were full of hockey games and prom dress shopping.

The first big moment of 2017 for me was becoming one of four captains of the Suffern Crew team. The best part was that the three other captains beside me were my best friends on and off the water. Being captain had been a goal of mine since freshman year and set the tone for what turned out to be the best season of my high school career. Getting to be stroke of the girls' varsity eight boat and medal at HVRL are two accomplishments from that season that I will never forget.

By April, I not only began my relationship with my boyfriend, but also created a relationship with all of the people that make up my friend group today. Having friends of such great character that I can rely on and trust completely improved my life and allowed me to create unforgettable memories throughout the year with them.

One of those memories being: senior prom. Getting dressed up and taking pictures with my friends and family was a lot of fun and, of course, the real fun began later that night at our prom house. My friends and I are lucky enough to travel to the Jersey Shore and be able to spend the weekend going out to dinners, playing mini golf, hanging out on the board walk and spending time on the beach together.

Soon after that came an important milestone: high school graduation. It was weird to know that all of the people I had been in school with for so many years would no longer be the kids surrounding me in class and that graduation would be the last time we were all together. However, it was an exciting feeling to know that I was onto the next chapter in my life with all of the right people beside me.

Over the summer I went on a vacation with my family and also went on a vacation with my boyfriend's family. I felt much closer to my family and felt like I had created an even better bond with his family throughout these trips since both of them were filled with such fun activities. The summer also brought me closer to my friends as we went to amusement parks, had sleepovers, went out for food, hiked and swam together. Another major part of my summer was a new job teaching swim lessons. Although I was nervous at first, I immediately began looking forward to my lessons every day with kids that were eager to learn.

A major change in my life this year was beginning my freshman year of college. In just one semester I've met amazing people through my suite, my roommate and various clubs. My roommate and I quickly became best friends and have created just the beginning of many memories to come. I got to continue rowing on a club team where we accomplished one of the best races as a novice team and was able to meet many kind-hearted girls. While being away at school I also learned how to deal with a long distance relationship, which has only made us stronger.

Being able to come home for the holidays was a great break from the chaos that my new life had been and gave me the opportunity that I needed to spend time with my friends and family. While on break I also got to travel to Paris where I got a new perspective on life and was reminded of my desire to travel. I was lucky enough to be able to begin the new year in a new country full of great experiences.

While 2017 was a great year full of various milestones and accomplishments, I'm more excited to look at what's ahead in 2018. I hope to have more great memories and experiences with the people I love, as well as be able to live in the moment and enjoy all that 2018 has in store.