The Best Of 2016's White House Correspondents' Dinner

All the jokes and no consequences

4
CNN News

This past Saturday, the White House Correspondents’ Dinner took place in the nation's capital. Each year the White House Correspondents’ Association holds a dinner party attended by some of the most famous people. It’s mostly intended for journalists covering the White House and the current president, but it’s turned into a party for the most prominent people in the media. Celebrities attend on the account of different media outlets; for example, Kendall Jenner attended with USA Today and Von Miller with Thomson Reuters.

While this sounds classy and glamorous, it’s actually a little bit of the opposite (except for First Lady Michelle Obama, who graced us with her presence in a Givenchy Couture gown.) The dinner has become a joke to many, mocking the association of journalists. Famous journalist Tom Brokaw isn’t expected to return anytime soon after Lindsay Lohan became a big name during 2013's dinner. Throughout the night, the president and a host speak, skits are performed and many jokes are thrown around. It’s really the one night you’re allowed loosen up your top button and be mean to the president or a certain journalist/celebrity who you may not particularly like. There have been memorable years, which include Stephen Colbert absolutely destroying then-President George W. Bush and former White House Deputy Chief of Staff Karl Rove rapping and dancing like a penguin (no, really.) It may seem unconventional for a dinner that is actually a scholarship benefit for gifted students in college journalism programs, but it is the one night for laughs by an otherwise stuffy crowd.

This year’s left no exceptions to the jokes and roasts, especially with this being President Obama’s last dinner. He didn’t let the naysayers interrupt his agenda either. Let’s start with some of the best moments from the President’s speech.

1) While Donald Trump missed out this year, he was still remembered: "You've got a room full of reporters, celebrities, cameras, and he says no. Is this dinner too tacky for the Donald? What could he possibly be doing instead? Is he at home, eating a Trump steak, tweeting out insults to Angela Merkel?"

2) I think we can all agree with Obama here: "Helen Mirren is here tonight. I don’t even have a joke here. I just think Helen Mirren is awesome."

3) Remember when the media freaked out because Obama admitted he was a typical college kid and had done drugs before? Let’s do that again: "In my final year, my approval ratings keep going up. The last time I was this high, I was trying to decide on my major."

4) Way back in 2006, then-Vice President Dick Cheney, while quail hunting, shot someone. In the face. He survived, but of course, it would be mentioned: "I love Joe Biden, I really do. I want to thank him for his friendship, his counsel, for always giving it to me straight. For not shooting anybody in the face."

5) He also delivered with a beautifully taped skit centered around his time after the White House. This included drinking beer at 11:30 am, driving himself around for the first time in 8 years and smoking cigars with former Speaker of the House John Boehner. I do recommend actually watching this one.

6) Finally, he closed as beautifully as one could. “Obama out,” with a mic drop and all.

Larry Wilmore, the actual host, had a tough act to follow. He wasn’t welcomed as warmly as President Obama with some but still made his mark. His joke mocked many and caused outrage, but hey, it’s the White House Correspondents’ Dinner.

7) With a black president and black host, race was a topic. It also allowed some jabs to none other than Fox News: "Welcome to negro night here in Washington. Or as Fox will report, two thugs interrupt elegant dinner in D.C."

8) Wilmore even allowed some jabs at a former president who has infamously been met with sex scandals for some time: "I have to say about the first lady, it’s so nice to have dinner with you. She’s the epitome of grace, class and poise, isn’t she? Not to be confused with the future first gentleman, Bill Clinton, whose three favorite strippers are Grace, Class and Poise.”

9) Taking down the corrupt one joke at a time: “There are so many rich, powerful people in this room. It's so nice to finally match the names to the faces of the people in the Panama Papers."

10) I imagine this went over many heads. Let’s just hope Megyn Kelly didn’t think this was a compliment: "Fox News actually tried to convince America that Beyonce was anti-cop after her Black Panther-inspired performance at the Super Bowl. At the most she’s anti-pants. I think Fox News secretly likes Beyonce, though. They just renamed the Kelly File 'Becky With the Good Hair'."

With everyone hit by a joke, you could call the night a success.