The 2016 Presidential Election, As Told By Hamilton: An American Musical

A history-changing election, illustrated by a history-changing Broadway hit.
14

The last year and a half, especially these past few months, have been focused on one thing, and one thing alone: the 2016 U.S. Presidential Election. The process has been a tireless triage of emails, demands for health records and tax returns, and a slew of Twitter insults. And ultimately, we have chosen our President-Elect: Mr. Donald J. Trump.

Thinking about this election, now that we've had a few days to let the reality of it sink in, brings to mind another political time period best shown in Lin-Manuel Miranda's Broadway hit, Hamilton. The emotions we see throughout the show parallel many of the emotions that we as a whole have witnessed over these past sixteen months or so.

1. When each party started out like this...

When they went from the plenty...

2. ...to when Trump and Clinton were named the nominees.

I doubt this happened that amicably, but I can imagine their thoughts were something similar to this.

But really, were you all that surprised when it came down to these two? It was inevitable from the start.

3. Every time Trump was accused of/blamed for something new.

A lot of people were just sick of it and were desperate for actual political issues by the end of it.

4. When the emails/primary election rigging information were leaked, or when Trump's tax records and Clinton's health records were asked for.

SO. MANY. DOCUMENTS!

5. Watching the debates between Clinton and Trump.

Let's face it...that one debate where they walked around on stage? That was totally a cabinet battle.

6. When you cast your ballot on Election Day.

#Werk that poll, my friends. You've successfully exercised your right to vote!

7. Waiting for the election results.

Some of us went to bed like normal people. Others of us waited until 3:30 a.m. EST to find out who won. Either way, we had to wait for it.

8. When Trump won the election.

Some were like:

While others were like:

9. And when you realized that this will either make or break America, that the next four years are completely up in the air, and will likely be talked about in a few generations.

History has been made here, people, and history will look back on whatever we decide to do with our nation.