21 Reasons 2016 Didn't Suck

21 Reasons 2016 Didn't Suck

Find the silver lining because you can't only focus on the bad.

9
21 Reasons 2016 Didn't Suck
Kiplinger

It's no surprise that 2016 was a rough year for a lot of people. For me, it included ending my first long-term relationship, getting diagnosed (and accepting those diagnoses) with a few mental disorders, as well as my brother dying. This year didn't start off too well, nor end too well. That doesn't necessarily mean that I can't look back on 2016 and say that this year sucked completely. Here are the good things that happened for me in 2016.

1. Getting accepted to all universities that I applied to

I applied to Winthrop in South Carolina, UNC Chapel Hill, and UNC Wilmington. These acceptance letters started off 2016 with a bang!

2. Losing 50 pounds

I began losing weight around June of 2015, but I hit the 50 lb mark right around February.

3. Meeting my favorite band, A Great Big World (twice!)

I first met them in Charlotte in March, and then again in July when I won tickets to a concert! They remembered me the second time, which was totally awesome. I also got to meet Phillip Phillips and Matt Nathanson at the second concert, so that was cool!

4. Finally going to Philadelphia! (Also twice!)

For as long as I've been writing novels (so since I was fifteen) I have set each book in a fictional town outside of Philly. Not only did these trips fill my love for travelling, it also meant so much to me as a writer. I also got to see one of my friends who lives here, so it was awesome.

5. Accepting admission to university, and becoming the first in my family to go to a university

Even thinking about this day now makes me want to cry because deciding to go to UNCW was the best decision I've ever made.

6. Running my first 5k (and placing tenth out of over 60 women in my age group!)

AND it was a color run!

7. Graduating from community college with a 3.4 GPA

It took me three years, but it was worth it. Getting my Associates degree made me the first out of my immediate family (parents and siblings) to have some sort of college degree! Both of my brothers were there, my parents, and my grandpa. Some of the English professors woo-ed when I walked across the stage. It was a great day.

8. Getting to see Paul McCartney live

The Beatles has been my all-time favorite band all my life as they were the first band I ever remember listening to. Seeing Sir Paul McCartney was easily the best concert experience I'll probably ever have. Those two hours, and that firework show...damn, it was worth the money and the eight hour drive to Philly.

9. Transferring to UNC Wilmington

Ah, yes, the act of moving to Wilmington, starting classes, and beginning my new life! I felt at home immediately and have never been happier.

10. Turning 21

My 21st birthday wasn't too big of a deal for me--at least compared to other college students. My roommates, who I had literally known for two weeks, decorated the apartment over night. I got to have dinner with them and had my first shot(s) ever with them and an old friend of mine. It was a great night!

11. Having the best roommates ever

Piggy backing off of my last topic, I have the best roommates ever. We all transferred here this year and didn't know each other until we moved in. It's so amazing that we get along so well, and it's going to suck without living with them next year. At least we have the spring semester <3

12. Joining RHA

Joining the Residence Hall Association at school was one of the first things I did, and I've never looked back. It's been full of meeting with these people twice a week, planning events, and getting to know amazing people. We're going on a retreat in January, which I can't wait for. I also wrote an article to the executive board of RHA, if you're interested.

13. Being reunited with one of my oldest friends

Adam and I became friends in 2008 when my family moved to North Carolina (top picture). We were good friends for a couple of years, and he played a very important part in my life sophomore year of high school. We went to different high schools, so it was hard to see each other. It wasn't until I transferred to UNCW that we started seeing each other a lot for random reasons, and I'm very glad to have him back in my life. (I'm also glad that puberty did us well.)

14. Getting to play with a baby pug

I've had a major pug obsession for the past three years or so. When I was hanging out with some friends from class and this pug (and her owner) walked into the coffee shop, I literally started crying. This was such a great, silly moment.

15. Meeting one of my favorite authors, Laurie Halse Anderson

This amazing woman has been one of my authors since I was 13. I already wrote an article about meeting her, so feel free to read why this was so important to me.

16. Meeting one of my new best friends

Meeting and becoming friends with Becka was a very quick thing, and I'm so glad to have her in my life. I also wrote an article about her.

17. Getting my first tattoo

I was never really planning on getting a tattoo until the doctors told us that my brother was brain dead. Our other brother both got our first tattoos together, and while they're not 100% matching, we both have Andrew's heart beat. (HUGE shout out to the nurse Melissa who gave us a printed copy of his heart beat when she heard this was what I wanted!)

18. Becoming friends with the best people ever because of the Creative Writing department

While meeting #DreamTeam was great, this isn't every one in the department that I've become friends with; I just seem to miss all of the outings where we take pictures! I can't get over how much I love my department and every one in it (including the professors and TAs).

19. Seeing the Trans-Siberian Orchestra

Christmas and a rock show! What could get better than this? I had been wanting to see these guys for years now, and it was going to be a birthday present to my brother. Since he passed, I ended up going with Adam, and it was a wonderful night.

20. Being selected to be an Orientation Leader for 2017

I knew I wanted to be an OL right after I went to Seahawk Preview Day in March. It was a lengthy process, and originally I was an alternate, but I got it and I could not be more excited for next summer! Shout out to the best OL out there, Corey, for sending me these pictures from last year. They only make me more hype for SROW and everything in general :)

21. Realizing how loved I am

Between meeting people at my new job, in clubs at both Wake Tech and UNCW, meeting friends of friends, or just being with my best friend since we were ten, this year was great. I didn't realize how much support I had until my brother died and I had over a hundred texts, Facebook messages, Twitter and Instagram DMs, etc. from all of these people in this giant picstitch, and many more. I also started writing and editing for Odyssey, which brought an old friendship back together. (Working with Odyssey has been amazing in itself.) I can't get over how many amazing people I have in my life.

2016, like most years, had its ups and downs. With the significance of the downs, it would be very easy for me to just say that 2016 sucked and that be the end of it. I'm glad that I'm able to still view it positively, and I hope that 2017 is only better.