Abortion Is Never A Moral Act, Especially At 20 Weeks

Despite the bill's failure to pass, the United States should not keep elective late-term abortions legal.

611
Flickr Creative Commons

The United States Senate recently put a bill on the floor that would criminalize abortions after the 20-week mark of a pregnancy, and those who voted in favor of the bill are on the correct side of history.

Despite the failure to pass the bill, opposition by Democrats reveals their thoughts on abortion are more than just about women's healthcare and the "right to choose."

The United States is constantly being compared to the rest of the world by people on both sides of the aisle. Comparing us to the rest of the world for our policies on healthcare and economics is one of Bernie Sanders' favorite past times.

So, let's compare the United States to the rest of the world on abortion.

The Center For Reproductive Rights released this document in 2013, easily breaking down abortion laws globally.

First and foremost, abortion being legal without restriction is not that common when all independent states are included. Of the states included in this chart, just 66/199 have laws that allow abortion "without restriction as to reason."

The United States would also not be alone in restricting abortions to a timeframe if they ever manage to pass a bill like this one.

There are 12 countries that let you get abortions for any reason while also mandating the procedure occur before the 20 week period. They include world leaders such as France (14 weeks) and Germany (14 weeks.)

109 of the states included in the chart restrict abortions to only being allowed for health reasons, such as saving the mother's life.

The United States banning elective abortion at 20 weeks would not actually be that out of touch with rest of the world. Globally, abortion is often highly regulated and only allowed under certain circumstances.

Moreover, this bill does not ban all abortions at the 20-week mark. Written in the bill are provisions that allow for exceptions to the law. These exceptions include if the pregnancy is life-threatening to the woman or the product of rape.

You can click here to read the bill in its entirety.

A recap of this bill means that Republicans wanted to ban people from getting abortions simply because having that child could be inconvenient. Meanwhile, Democrats overwhelmingly want to give people the ability to end the life of an unborn child due to convenience.

At some point, abortion becomes more than just a women's healthcare issue. There is a line that has to be drawn, a line that has to do with the fundamental right to life.

I am not arguing that abortion should simply be banned, and provisions for appropriate situations were included in this bill.

Nevertheless, a line has to be drawn somewhere. The constant narrative that governing abortion is "unconstitutional" is one of ignorance and is plain false.

The same Center for Reproductive Rights released a tweet calling the ban "unconstitutional" which has become a common descriptor of pro-life legislation.

The United States Constitution makes no mention of healthcare of any sort in the document. However, the right to life itself is one of the biggest reasons it was even written.

The "right to abortion" is not something that even exists, yet has been a rallying call for organizations like Planned Parenthood and pro-choice politicians.

There are very few reasons where someone should choose to abort a child, and those decisions can and should be made within the first trimester of a pregnancy. Ripping apart an unborn child at 20 weeks because it is convenient is not something that should be legal in a country like the United States.

The responsibilities of the United States government have been blurred by people using words like "unconstitutional" about any piece of legislation they disagree with.

In reality, banning abortions outright would not be unconstitutional, however, it would be a bad idea.

Nevertheless, elective abortions should not be legal at 20 weeks. Living children have been born at 22 weeks before; I myself have family that was born at less than 26 weeks. 20 is too close to what can be a living person.

Allowing doctors to rip unborn babies apart due to the convenience of one person is irresponsible and outright wrong.