20 Things I've Learned Across My 20 Years

I don't have my life together, but this is what I've got so far.

I’m no longer a teenager!!! Birthdays are a very big deal to me, especially mine. Since I’m officially no longer a teenager, I thought it would be beneficial to look back on my years and make a list of the things I’ve learned. No, I don’t have my life together. My laundry is never done and my idea of a meal is a tub of ice cream. All that matters is that you are trying your best!

1. It’s okay to not go out on Friday night

Some nights you just want to watch Netflix and eat ice cream. There’s nothing wrong with telling your friends you don’t want to go out that night.

2. Eat your fruits and vegetables

You can’t survive off of pizza and ice cream. Trust me, I’ve tried.

3. Be yourself

Life is too short to be someone you aren’t. Be yourself, because people love you for who you are.

4. It’s OK to treat yourself, but not too much

Go buy that chocolate milk after you took that crazy hard math test! But don’t go too crazy treating yourself, because your wallet will not be happy.

5. Always eat breakfast

Fueling your body is a great start to the day. Even if it’s just a banana, you should eat something in the morning

6. Wear what you want to wear

You don’t need to wear uncomfortable heels just because they are “trendy”. Wear what makes you feel good!

7. Smile

Smiling is contagious, and the world could use more happiness.

8. Sing... always

Singing can raise up your spirits, especially if there is dancing involved.

9. Don’t apologize

There’s a difference between apologizing when you’re wrong and apologizing to make someone happy. I’m a people pleaser and tend to go out of my way to make sure others are happy. There’s no need to apologize if the other person is in the wrong.

10. Respect other’s opinions, even if you don’t agree with it

Just because you don’t agree with someone’s opinion, it doesn’t give you the right to be rude or hateful. If you respect other’s opinions, they will respect yours.

11. Say what’s on your mind

If anyone judges you for what you have to say, that’s on them. In most cases, your opinion will be appreciated.

12. Do what you love

I’ve been told that if you love what you do for work, it doesn’t feel like a job. Money can be tempting, but doing what makes you happy in the end is a better choice.

13. Call your parents

This is something I’ve learned by going to college across the country from my family. Even though you’re an adult and can make your own choices, no one will give you better advice than your parents.

14. Alone time is important

It’s so important to have time for yourself at least once a week. Whether you work, are a student or something in between, you need to have time to relax. Having time to be by yourself and to just take a breather will help you so much in the long run. I am a firm believer in taking a bath or watching a couple Netflix shows to chill out for a bit.

15. Prioritize on the things that matter

It’s essential to prioritize, but I’ve learned you need to prioritize the things that matter. There are some nights that I have so much homework, but my roommate is having a hard night. In that moment, my priority is to be there for my roommate. Other times I will have a huge test but my friends want to hang out. I have to make my test the priority in that moment. It’s all about learning to find the balance.

16. There’s always tomorrow

I have a problem with putting too much on my plate and thinking I can do it all. Ending up overwhelmed and exhausted, I remember that there’s always tomorrow. There’s no need to put the world on your shoulders when you can finish your To Do list tomorrow.

17. Bring your charger AND SNACKS wherever you go

Too many times has my phone died and I’m left bored out of my mind. Finally, I learned my lesson and I bring my charger wherever I go. You never want to be left without a phone, especially in an unsafe situation. Another thing I always keep on me is food. I am known to get hangry, so snacking is essential.

18. Sweatpants are the best

Lemme tell you…Wal-Mart sweatpants are the BEST $5 you will ever spend. They are so comfortable and are perfect for Netflix binging. Not only are sweatpants a want, they are a need.

19. Text the boy

I have spent countless hours trying to figure out if I was going to text a boy and what I was going to say. Instead of stressing, just text the boy. It’s better to be straightforward rather than wonder every night if he likes you.

20. Love with all your heart

Most of all, love. Love yourself, love your family, and love others. There’s no need denying yourself of love, because you deserve it. Love with all your heart, and keep loving. No matter what happens, love.