20 Things Non-Dancers Should Never Say To Dancers

This list could go on forever.

2415
The Corinthia Insider

Dance is a universal thing. There are many different styles of dance. Dance can be for anyone, from the littlest of humans to the older ones living out their dream. Every dancer has their favorite/best style and our own opinions on certain things on dance. However, there are a few things we all agree on. Dance is hard, but totally worth it, dance becomes a lifestyle, and everyone who guides you through dance becomes family. Dancers can also agree that sometimes non-dancers say some things that get on dancer's nerves. Here are 20 things (but the list could go on forever) you should never say to a dancer.

1. NEVER pronounce the “t” in “ballet”

Ever. period. end of discussion.

2. Why are all ballet terms so fancy and hard to pronounce?

Because it’s not English, they are French words; hence why we do not pronounce the “t” in ballet; it is a French word.

3. You dance? That’s cool I did ballet when I was like three.

Cool story bro

4. Can you do the splits?

Yes, but flexibility is not what makes a dancer a dancer, and no I will not show you

5. Try and kick this apple off my head.

Believe it or not, I really did have someone request this, I kick high, but my aim sucks, I may just end up hitting your head.

6. You don’t need to lose weight, you’re already skinny enough; eat a burger.

I’m not going to the gym or trying to eat better because I think I need to be skinnier, I am doing those things, but I want to stay in shape and not run out of breath on my 5-minute dance. You would actually be surprised by how much I do eat that isn’t healthy.

Or we get the complete opposite. . .

7. How can you be so skinny, yet eat a horse?

Because I was just in ballet class for three hours, and oh yea I had another dance class before that, that’s how.

8. Doesn’t it hurt your toes when you go on pointe? (it’s rare when they actually know what it is called)

Nah, standing on the top of my toes on a wooden box (it’s actually called a shank) is very comfortable; have you seen a picture of dancer’s feet?? Yes, it hurts!

9. Oh, I can go on my toes too. Watch.

NOOOOOOOO, you cannot just stand on the tip top of your toes with no support, that is so bad for your toes. We don’t just wear the fancy painful shoes for fun!! They help support you!

10. Can you do those turny things?”

Oh you mean a pirouette? Yes.

11. Can you do the fancy one with your leg?

À la secondeor fouetté?

12. À la se..what?

Yes.

13. Dance is not a sport

Please show me your best tombé pas de boureé glissade grand jeté finished off with a triple pirouette.

A whaaaat?

Exactly.

14. What do you do with all of your outfits?

Costumes… they are called costumes. And it depends on the studio; some keep their costumes and others put them in storage.

15. Do you actually dance down grocery aisles?

Yes. Yes, I do. I tap, I turn, heck I put on a show. Come watch free of charge!

16. Your feet are ugly.

Thanks captain obvious. . .It’s only okay for dancers to say this to other dancers.

17. Dance is only for girls

Can you lift a human above your head while still looking graceful? Girls in ballet will forever be grateful for the men that put up with us.

18. Are you any good?

I don’t know! I can’t watch myself! Also, dancers are the hardest critiques on themselves; we rarely will put ourselves on a high horse.

19. Dancing is easy look *as human points their toes.*

You’re sickling.

I’m what?

Exactly.

20. Why are you always dancing, don’t you get tired of it?

Nope. Dancing is not just something I do, it’s my passion. It relieves my stress, it is where my friends are, it is my happy place; why would I want to leave my happy place and my passion?