20 Things I've Learned Over The Academic Past Year

Nothing is easy about college... but it can be fun.
151

I talk about college life a lot. So naturally, that's what I'm doing again. These are some things I picked up since being a Freshman in college.

1. Professors don't care if you leave the classroom to use the bathroom

I raised my hand so many times and got so many looks from my classmates and professors.

2. It's OK to let those friends you made during orientation go

I was really conflicted by this because they're all great people. Unfortunately, the most communication I have with them is through Snapchat.

3. Just cause I'm 18, doesn't mean I'm an adult

I thought I would never have to call home for the little things like asking if its OK to drink milk that expires in two days. But I still call my mom to ask about laundry.

4. It's OK to get out of your comfort zone

I came to college as a shy, isolated introvert who thought she would make no friends. I am proud to say I have come so far from that.

5. It's perfectly fine to say 'no'

Sometimes taking on that extra task is too much and will put you over the edge.

6. No one cares how you dress for class

"Dress to impress" is a great motto to go by. But if you have a 9:10 and you rolled out of bed at 9:03...sweats and a tee are fine. I've seen it happen to the best of us.

7. Cliques disappear

Now, THIS is what made me happy. High school sucked knowing I never fit in. If I don't "mesh" with a person, there are plenty more. Everyone is their own self and I love it.

8. It's possible to make life-long friends

I know this is saying a lot being it's my first year, but I have friends who have gone through thick and thin for me and vice versa. They are irreplaceable and I am so fortunate.

9. Condom BINGO is fun

Something about a bunch of college students gathering around in a room with an awesome lady giving out prizes while shouting teaching us about safe sex really puts a smile on my face... and I never thought it would have.

10. Staying up till 4 A.M. is completely acceptable

If it's for laundry, getting food or studying for an exam, it's completely acceptable in college.

11. People are really gross

Sharing a communal bathroom and having three showers for about 30 people is just one example. Five washing machines and dryers for a building of 260 people is another...ONE MICROWAVE is what gets me the most. Clean up your mess if it explodes...

12. You don't have to do everything

At the beginning of the semester, I tried to do EVERYTHING because the last thing I wanted to do was be alone in my room. But now, I'm learning to be comfortable in my lonely.

13. Syllabi are VITAL

Depends on the professor, but from personal experience, when you get a syllabus, treat it with respect. Your grade and ability to have time management is riding on those pieces of paper.

14. Taking the train isn't that scary

Coming from Long Island to a school in New Jersey is quite the commute. My first time taking the train was terrifying, but since coming here I've grown used to it.

15. Calling home is always a good thing

Even if the people around you don't do it as often. Your parents do so much for you...you can give them a phone call instead of a text. Remember how you got to college in the first place.

16. New things are scary

Classes, professors, interviews, participating in clubs, meeting new people, you name it. It's all so scary at first, but soon you get the swing of things.

17. It's OK to coexist with your roommate

I love my roommate, I met her online and she's been great. However, throughout the months we've developed different interests. She joined Greek Life, I became super involved in extracurriculars, and at some point, the dialogue between us diminished. I'm very lucky to have her. She's amazing and I don't need to gossip with her every night to realize that.

18. Getting a C won't kill your GPA

In high school, I was constantly getting told I had to get good grades and nothing less than a B+. In college, grades aren't everything. When you apply for a job the interviewer will most likely ask about the classes you excelled in. So that C- you're going to get in math will not be the death of you.

19. It's OK to ask for help

Mentally, emotionally, physically, whatever it may be. There are people who have been in your shoes and who are trained to help with these exact situations. Taking your ego down a notch isn't the worst possible thing in the world.

20. I'm learning (still in process) time management

When you have a lot going on everything kind of creeps up on you. Planning in advance definitely helps.