20 Things I've Learned In 20 Years

20 Things I've Learned In 20 Years

It's almost as if the past two decades were a long training session to prepare you for your real life.

1341
20 Things I've Learned In 20 Years

Ah, twenty. The most useless age to turn because you're no longer a teenager and not quite an adult yet (no margaritas for you). It's almost as if the past two decades were a long training session to prepare you for your real life. I'm not entirely disappointed by this; I've learned so much about who I am through numerous experiences.

1. You can't control everything that happens to you.

The anger, disappointment and frustration just simply aren't worth the effort. I remember last year I had a hold accidentally placed on my student account and was not able to sign up for classes. After spending over two hours waiting with another hundred students, I made a new friend and ended up getting into the classes I wanted. Everything does work out.

2. Appreciate everything and expect nothing.

You never know what you have until it's gone. I think the only way to truly appreciate what you have is to put yourself in a situation where you have none of those things. As soon as you start expecting nothing from people, they will start surprising you.

3. You don't have to be best friends with everyone.

I'm the type of person who loves meeting people from all walks of life. If I think someone is even remotely interesting, I will want to spend more time with them. You have to remember though: the other person might not want that. They may just want a friendly smile when you pass them on campus. That's okay, accept it. The people who were meant to be in your life will always find a way of showing up again.

4. People will reject your ideas and tell you what they think you should be doing.

Make sure you are doing what you love and living your dream, not someone else's. One of the reasons why people might do this is because they really care about you. Be polite and listen to what they have to say, but don't feel obligated to take their advice.

5. Never change for anyone.

Not everyone is going to like you, and that's okay.

6. Spending time with yourself is essential.

I've lost track of the amount of times I've gone to my favorite coffee shop and left feeling like the most productive and creative woman on the planet.

7. Never be ashamed of what you like.

You should never feel like you have to hide who you really are.

8. Love unconditionally.

I'm not just talking about love in the context of a romantic relationship. Do little things for your friends and family to show them how much they mean to you.

9. Quit complaining.

It literally changes nothing, so don't waste your breath.

10. I have a really bad case of wanderlust.

I can't stop traveling. I probably talk about it way too much, so I'll cut to the chase: it's one of the best things you could spend your money on. Please do yourself a favor and get yourself a passport.

11. Learn to say no.

There have been many times where I've said yes just because I feared I would be missing out on something. In the end, I always wished I had gone with my gut in the first place. If you don't want to do something, then don't.

12. Gossip is a waste of time.

Gossip is like eating cheap fast food and still being dissatisfied afterwards. Words are powerful and they have an impact on everyone, whether they are true or not.

13. The people that care about you will always make time for you.

It doesn't matter how "busy" they are. When it comes down to it, whoever wants to see you will make time for it. It really is that simple. At the same time, it doesn't hurt to reach out to someone, but you shouldn't always be the one having to contact them.

14. Just because something doesn't go your way doesn't mean it's the end of the world.

If something falls apart, chances are it's because the universe wants to make room for something better to come together.

15. Your parents are usually right.

Just listen to them.

16. Being nice goes a long way.

You can never be too sure about what someone is going through. Some people hide their problems really well and you would be surprised how one compliment could turn around their day.

17. Get a planner, and get your shit together.

The amount of times I've forgotten something simply because I didn't write it down makes me so angry at myself. Write everything down and make lists because no one is actually capable of remembering every little thing.

18. Letting go is a part of life.

It really does suck and it may take awhile, but you have to let go of situations and people that are no longer serving you.

19. Relationships are nothing without communication.

If you and the person you're with aren't clear about what you both want, then you're just asking for trouble. You'll start investing more in the person and then come to find that you weren't on the same page after all.

20. Don't settle.

Know your worth, respect yourself and you will attract the right kinds of people into your life.