20 Lessons 20 Years Of 'Harry Potter' Taught Me

Accio, Odyssey article!

254
Madeline Dziak

I was only 10 when I stepped into the magical world of Harry Potter, but I feel like it's has been around for my entire life. Well, it pretty much has. The first book, "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone," was published June 26, 1997 in the United Kingdom (the United States version called "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" would come about September 1, 1998). 20 years, seven books, and eight movies later, I can say that Harry Potter has taught me a lot of things during my 18 years of living. Here are 20 of them.

1. "Family" doesn't always have to be your immediate family.

Harry lost his parents to Voldemort when he was a baby, so he was sent to live with his aunt Petunia, uncle Vernon, and cousin Dudley. But even as he spent his entire life there on number four Privet Drive, they didn't treat him like he was family either. When he went to the Burrow, home of the Weasleys, in the second book, they treated him like he was one of their own, even though he wasn't exactly a blood member of their family.

2. Bad things can happen to good people, but they can still be good.

In the third book, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, we meet Remus Lupin, who is the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher at Hogwarts. He looked like he could be the first Defense teacher that didn't teach for only one year. But near the end of the book, we. learn that Lupin is actually a werewolf. But as the series continues, we learn that even though Lupin has this side that is dangerous to others, he is still loyal to Harry and his friends, even making a sacrifice to him in the end.

4. But then again... not always.

I'm talking about you, Fenrir Greyback.

5. Most people go through an awkward phase.

I could go into how the entire cast of the Harry Potter franchise has changed dramatically, but I think the winner of the biggest glow up is Matthew Lewis, who played Neville Longbottom in the franchise. I mean, look him up! Have you seen him?!

6. You don't have to be 21 to drink butter beer.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione have butter beer quite a bit throughout the series, and they are in their teens. I had butter beer at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Orlando a few weeks ago (the non-alcoholic kind) and I was fine.

7. Pretty on the outside doesn't necessarily mean pretty on the inside.

We meet Gildroy Lockhart in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, the second Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher in a row. While he did seem like he could be a charming man and a good author, he was very self-centered and only really thinking about himself in situations.

8. There are teachers that you will remember throughout your lifetime, good or bad.

Good teachers would be for example McGonagall or Lupin or Flitwick. But for horrible, must I mention Dolores Umbridge?

9. Be careful what you wish for as there is usually a price to pay.

Everyone wants to get the Elder Wand, the most powerful wand in the wizarding universe, and will do anything to get it. Even if it means to die.

10. Death doesn't discriminate between the sinners and the saints.

(Yes, I know I'm quoting Hamilton on this but it works.)

(Also some major spoilers ahead.)

Fred, Lupin, Tonks, Cedric Diggory, Sirius Black, Harry's parents, and so many more died innocent. They had so much to live for but it was just cut too short too soon. However, people like Bellatrix Lestrange and Voldemort were already forces of evil and if they died, they will be remembered for the wrong that they did.

11. You may think your first love is your only love, but be patient. Your forever love is out there.

While Harry does end up with Ginny, Ron's little sister, in the end, we can't forget that Harry did have a huge crush on Cho Chang. While they did kiss and (if I can remember if they did) date for a while, they did end up ending things. But like I said, Harry does marry Ginny.

12. It's alright to fail, because that means you've learned.

I could go into the multiple times that Harry suggests a plan that almost goes horrible, but he does learn from his mistakes and can learn to never do something like that again. (Or try not to at least.)

13. Please don't overwork yourself.

Hermione schedules too many classes for her own self during Prisoner of Azkaban, and while it does somewhat work out because of her Time Turner, she does still end up overpressured with too much.

14. It is OK to ask for help.

While Harry can be very adamant about asking others for some guidance, help does help him out in the long run. Whether it be in the Triwizard Tournament or looking for the diadem that is a horcrux.

15. Money can't buy happiness.

In the first book, Harry finds out that he inherited a vault full of gold from his parents. But while Harry is filthy rich, we learn from the Mirror of Erised it is money that Harry wants, it's his family alive and happy again.

16. Fears must sometimes be faced in order to achieve something.

Whether would be Harry facing his fears of dementors or Ron facing his ever growing fear of spiders, they both were able to learn how to face them in order to move forward to achieve a task.

17. Question authority.

This mostly happens with the Ministry of Magic and how they handle the fact that Voldemort has returned. They think it's all alternative facts when they have an eye witness. It only takes the end of Order of the Phoenix for them to realize he who must not be named is back.

18. Most of the time, a good laugh can help out big time.

Fred and George Weasley always try to bring smiles to others, even in hard times. We can't forget their infamous invasion during the OWL exams with all of the fireworks during Order of the Phoenix.

19. Don't let anyone get the best of you.

Hermione faced a bit of discrimination from Draco Malfoy and his band of friends by calling her "mud blood," the derogatory term for muggle-born. But Hagrid told her to not let it get to her head as she continues to stand up for herself.

20. We may not have the power to change our past, but we have the power to shape our future.

Harry's future was changed forever when Hagrid busted through the doors one night telling Harry those famous lines, "yer a wizard, Harry." His parents are dead and he's been stuck with his aunt and uncle for eleven years at this point. He didn't have to chose to go to Hogwarts, but he did. He chose how he wanted the rest of his life to go.

The rest is magical history.