20 Songs Anyone In An LDR Can Relate To

20 Songs Anyone In An LDR Can Relate To

Because when you're missin' your boo thang, sometimes music just makes you feel understood.

846
20 Songs Anyone In An LDR Can Relate To
Theresa Carcaldi

I've said it before and I'll say it again: long-distance relationships are so rewarding, but sometimes SO hard. And during these hard moments, sometimes you just don't feel understood by others. But, that's what music is here for: to tell us what we need to hear and make us feel like someone just gets it. So, if you're in an LDR, here are 20 songs that you'll easily relate to and find comfort in (and stay tuned for the final song that I think PERFECTLY describes what it's like to be in a long-distance relationship):

Something Just Like This by The Chainsmokers & Coldplay

I like this song for two reasons: 1) my boyfriend always says this song reminds him of us, and 2) these lyrics are very LDR-relatable:

"But she said, where'd you wanna go? How much you wanna risk? I'm not looking for somebody with some superhuman gifts. Some superhero, some fairytale bliss, just something I can turn to, somebody I can kiss, I want something just like this."

Symphony by Clean Bandit & Zara Larsson

Not only does Zara Larsson have such a beautiful voice paired with a fun beat, but these lyrics are #relatableAF:

"And now your song is on repeat, and I'm dancin' on to your heartbeat, and when you're gone, I feel incomplete, so if you want the truth: I just wanna be part of your symphony."

Mama by Jonas Blue & William Singe

I love this one not only for its fun dance beat but also because this song is about living with no regrets, especially when it comes to love. And if you're in an LDR, you know that you're taking a huge chance--but it's totally worth it.

"Don't wanna wake up one day wishing that we'd done more. I wanna live fast and never look back, it's what we here for. Don't wanna wake up one day wondering 'where'd it all go?' 'Cause we'll be home before we know, I wanna hear you sing it: Hey, mama, don't stress your mind. We coming home tonight. Hey, ma, we gonna be alright, dry those eyes."

Also, love "We got a ticket that takes us wherever we like. We got our problems, but just for the minute, let's push all our troubles aside," because last-minute, impulsive trips together are a thing.

For You by Rita Ora & Liam Payne

If you're in an LDR, chances are it's because you met this person briefly and knew you couldn't let them go, even with distance threatening to part you. That's why I love this song: it's all about love and contains this special lyric:

"Wasn't looking for love 'til I found you." #true

End Game by Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran & Future

An LDR is a huge risk--you're putting a ton of effort into a relationship that is constantly tested by distance. But, if you didn't think this person was your "End Game," then you wouldn't be doing it. Hence, this song.

"I wanna be your end game. I wanna be your first string. I wanna be your A Team. I wanna be your end game, end game."

I Like Me Better by Lauv

This song is just adorable. It's also highkey relatable because you know that when you and your SO are finally in the same physical location, it won't last for long, so you know you have to try to use your time wisely, just like Lauv sings:

"Midnight into morning coffee, burning through the hours talking. Damn, I like me better when I'm with you."

Also, every LDR couple when it comes time to part for a long time: "Stay awhile, stay awhile, stay here with me." :(

Tell Me You Love Me by Demi Lovato

Time for some real talk: LDRs come with a lot of struggle. It takes a lot of trust and a lot of faith and a whole lotta love. But there are days where it's just freakin' HARD. Some days you will miss them like you're missing a piece of yourself. Some days you will have fights. But, you two are in it for the long haul, like Demi sings:

"Through the ups and downs, baby, I'ma stick around. I promise we will be alright, alright."

Meant to Be by Bebe Rexha & Florida Georgia Line

As I said before, LDRs take a lot of faith. Some days, you have your doubts. But at the end of the day, just listen to what Bebe and FGL sing:

"Who knows where this road is supposed to lead? We got nothing but time. As long as you're right here next to me, everything's gonna be alright. If it's meant to be, it'll be, it'll be, baby, just let it be."

Just enjoy the incredible ride you're on right now and live in this moment with your loved one.

Rewrite the Stars by Zac Efron & Zendaya

Not only is this my favorite movie of all time, but this is also now one of my favorite songs of all time. If I had a dollar for every time I told my boyfriend I wish we could "rewrite the stars" so that we had been born in the same country, I'd be rich enough to solve the distance issue. But when Zac Efron and Zendaya sing about their doubts about their relationship and how ultimately they wish they could rewrite the stars, I just feel that deep in my soul:

"How do we rewrite the stars? Say you were made to be mine? Nothing can keep us apart 'cause you are the one I was meant to find. It's up to you, and it's up to me. No one can say what we get to be. And why don't we rewrite the stars? Changing the world to be ours."

Would also like to point out specifically "No one can say what we get to be" because when you announce you're in an LDR, people will have A LOT to say about that. Moral of "The Greatest Showman" story: ignore them.

Colour by MNEK & Hailee Steinfeld

This song is just SO. FREAKIN'. FUN. This could definitely apply to any relationship, but it makes me think of my boyfriend every time, so this one is for you. ;)

"Before you came into my life, everything was black and white. Now all I see is colour like a rainbow in the sky. So, tell me your love will never fade, that I won't see no clouds of grey 'cause I don't want another. You bring colour to my life, baby."

Ocean by Martin Garrix & Khalid

OK, this one gets me in my FEELS. Major time. Especially because at times, there is a literal ocean between me and my boyfriend (@ Pacific Ocean, I have some issues with you). But, Khalid sings it perfectly:

"You could put an ocean between our love, love, love, it won't keep us apart. You could build a wall, I would run it up, up, up just to get to your heart. If we're caught in a wave, baby, we'll make a way."

Lay Me Down by Sam Smith

First of all, Sam Smith has the voice of a literal angel. Second of all, this song perfectly describes all those feelings you feel when you're having one of those off days where you miss your SO more than other days.

"One day I will be, where I was right there, right next to you. And it's hard, the days just seem so dark. The moon and the stars are nothing without you. Your touch, your skin, where do I begin? No words can explain the way I'm missing you. Deny this emptiness, this hole that I'm inside. These tears, they tell their own story. You told me not to cry when you were gone, but the feeling's overwhelming, it's much too strong. Can I lay by your side, next to you, you? And make sure you're alright. I'll take care of you. And I don't want to be here if I can't be with you tonight."

Long, but SO. DANG. ACCURATE.

Shallow by Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper

Another one of my favorite movies. I love this song because the chorus is all about a relationship that is in far too deep to turn back now. Not that we want to turn back. It's about taking a risk and enjoying the spontaneity and unknowns of the deep end.

"I'm off the deep end, watch as I dive in. I'll never meet the ground. Crash through the surface, where they can't hurt us. We're far from the shallow now."

Always Remember Us This Way by Lady Gaga

Yes, another "A Star Is Born" song, but can you blame me? Every time I hear this song, I replace "Arizona" with "Australia" for obvious Australian-boyfriend reasons. I love this song because it's all about cherishing your relationship, especially all of the amazing moments you've shared.

"But all I really know: you're where I wanna go. The part of me that's you will never die. So when I'm all choked up, but I can't find the words. Every time we say goodbye baby, it hurts. When the sun goes down and the band won't play, I'll always remember us this way."

Is That Alright? by Lady Gaga

OK, LAST "A Star Is Born" SONG, I PROMISE. But this song is just too good not to share. It's such a beautiful song about a special relationship that wants to go 'til the end. And if you're in an LDR, you've definitely talked about going to the end of time, or else you wouldn't be doing this.

"Family dinners and family trees, teachin' the kids to say, 'Thank you' and 'Please,' knowin' if we stay together that things will be right. I want you to look right in my eyes, to tell me you love me, to be by my side. I want you at the end of my life."

Speechless by Dan + Shay

If you've ever listened to this song and haven't pictured you and your SO on your potential future wedding day, then you're listening to this song wrong. I LOVE this song for many reasons, but mostly because of how Dan + Shay perfectly describe the butterflies you still feel when you see your SO, even after all these years. These nervous butterflies are something I feel every time I see my BF after not seeing him for a while.

"I'm speechless. You already know that you're my weakness. After all this time, I'm just as nervous every time you walk into the room. I'm speechless."

Needy by Ariana Grande

I'm putting this one on the list mainly because I think it'll give my boyfriend a laugh because me being needy is a running joke between us, but also because Ariana describes those tough days when you really need your SO, but you can't be with them. I admit that I, too, can indeed be needy.

"Lately I've been on a roller coaster, tryna get a hold of my emotions. But all that I know, is I need you close. And I'ma scream and shout for what I love. Passionate but I don't give no fucks. I admit that I'm a lil' messed up, but I can hide it when I'm all dressed up. I'm obsessive and I love too hard, good at overthinking with my heart."

Emphasis on *overthinking* in my department.

Jet Lag by Simple Plan & Natasha Bedingfield

If you've ever experienced insane time differences that make you want to literally go bonkers (as in USA's and Australia's current 15-hour time difference), this is the song for you:

"What time is it where you are? I miss you more than anything. And back at home you feel so far, waiting for the phone to ring. It's getting lonely living upside down. I don't even wanna be in this town. Tryna figure out the time zone's making me crazy."

And finally, "My heart is so jet-lagged." #true. And so is my body. :/

Perfect by Ed Sheeran

I have to throw this one in here for three reasons: 1) it's my and my boyfriend's favorite song, 2) it's #LDRrelatable, and 3) it's absolutely beautiful.

"We are still kids, but we're so in love, fighting against all odds. I know we'll be alright this time."

MAJOR emphasis on "fighting against all odds."

I Want Crazy by Hunter Hayes

If you're still reading this, then YOU'VE MADE IT TO THE ULTIMATE LDR SONG! There is no other song, in my opinion, that describes an LDR more perfectly or is more relatable to LDR couples. Just take a listen for yourself. *inserts 'Change My Mind' meme*

"I'm booking myself a one-way flight. I gotta see the color in your eyes."

"You can't undo a fall like this 'cause love don't know what distance is. Yeah, I know it's crazy, but I don't want 'good' and I don't want 'good enough,' I want 'can't sleep, can't breathe without your love,' front porch and one more kiss, it doesn't make sense to anybody else. Who cares if you're all I think about, I've searched the world and I know now, it ain't right if you ain't lost your mind. Yeah, I don't want easy, I want crazy. Are you with me baby? Let's be crazy."

So, there you have it: 20 songs that everyone in an LDR can relate to and listen to when they are highkey in their feelings like Drake. Listen away, my emotional LDR people.