20 Pieces Of Advice For Second Semester Seniors

Senioritis has hit like the plague.

480
msecnd

At this time last year, I was a second semester senior. I was ready to end my high school career and eager to start college. I thought all the stress of college applications and standardized testing was over. I was a free woman. Or so I thought. I didn't expect that the "waiting game" would be just as, if not more, stressful. I was way done writing essays, almost done submitting the very last applications. There was nothing else I could do but sit back and wait. I overthought every little thing, I kept being reminded that senior year grades could cause your school to change their mind about you, So this is some advice for all you second semester seniors out there. Some of these, I figured out on my own, most of these I was told by older friends who had already been through this. And now I'm passing it on to you.

1. Take the time to breathe.

Whether that means taking deep breaths, doing yoga, reading a book for fun - whatever it may be. Take some time out of your week and do it. You'll feel better.

2. Your scores are not all that matters.

I took a chance and applied to school I thought I'd never get into. It was considered a far-reach, but I wasn't rejected. My scores weren't what they should have been, it had to have been my personal statement that made them consider me, even for a second.

3. Keep your hopes up.

Miracles do happen. You never know what talking to the admissions counselor can do. If it's a financial issue, they might be able to get you a scholarship. It never hurts to have them put a face and a name together. Demonstrated interest is a thing, and it does have an impact.

4. Spend time with your friends.

It's your last few months of seeing each other every day, unless you're lucky enough to go to the same school. Enjoy it. They've been by your side for at least four years, and now even if you're at the same school, you might not be able to see each other daily. Go out to lunch, talk and laugh and smile. You might not do it again for a while.

5. Don't forget about your family.

This is stressful for them too. Your parents aren't going to be responsible for you anymore. You're siblings aren't going to see you every day. Make time for them too.

6. Worrying about roommates is useless.

Seriously. Don't worry about it before you have to. Chances are you'll get along fine. You don't have to be the best of friends, that doesn't mean you shouldn't try. But don't worry about it until you're moving in. You have plenty to worry about beforehand.

7. You don't have to go to prom if you don't want to.

You really don't have to. It feels like a social obligation, but you don't have to go. My friends tried to convince me that it's a "right of passage" that's supposed to be the best night of your life. I spent my prom on my couch in my pajamas with my siblings playing Mario Party 9 and I wouldn't have it any other way. Prom has it's own set of stresses, and by choosing not to go, I avoided what made a girl not in my English class run in and scream at her so-called best friend for a good 15 minutes.

8. Buy that yearbook.

You may not be in it much, you may not have won a superlative. Buy it anyway. It may bring back memories in the future, if not just having it signed by people that matter makes it special. You aren't going to remember what your math teacher said to you in 15 years, but you might be able to read it.

9. If you don't think you want to keep in touch with someone, don't.

There are plenty of people you'll lose contact with naturally. If there's a toxic friend you don't want to hurt, now is the best time to slowly leave them in your past. Go on with your best foot forward. Bring only those you're willing to stay up until midnight to talk to knowing you have an 8am in the morning.

10. Don't make your decision based off your friends.

Picking a school is serious, don't choose one because your friend likes it. Two of my best friends and I wanted to go to the same school. We had it all planned out, we'd be roommates and everything would be perfect. When we visited the school, I fell in love, they didn't. Each of us ended up being the only ones in our friend group going where we are. But each one of us is happy with the decisions we made. We love our schools, even though they might be rivals.

11. Study for those AP exams. (OK, maybe not all of them)

By May first, you should know where you're going. So you should know what tests you can get credit for. Be smart, study for those. You can satisfy gen-ed requirements, making it easier for yourself in the long run.

12. Visit your favorite spots in your town with some of your favorite people.

You're gonna miss both. The pizza on campus is not gonna be as good as your local Italian restaurants, and the Starbucks on the corner will always be your favorite. Maybe it's because the manager knows your name and order, maybe it's because they'll give you a Trenta and charge you for a Grande around finals time. Or maybe it's actually better than every other Starbucks, who knows?!

13. Be good to your counselor, thank them for all they've done.

If there's one person who will remember you after you graduate, it's your counselor. They've guided you through the process, and written a recommendation for you. Thank them, stand out from all the other kids they've helped.

14. Go to graduation.

Walk across that stage, shake hands with the principal. Enjoy your moment, you worked hard for it. Put on that cap and gown no matter how unflattering the cut and color, and enjoy it.

15. Take pictures in your cap and gown.

Enjoy every second you can in those, decorate your cap. Take pictures with your friends. You'll cherish those for a long time. Maybe even more than your prom pictures.

16. Get your teachers to sign your yearbook.

You don't get to ask them to say nice things to you all the time. You don't know what someone really thinks of you until you hand them that book. If anything you'll be able to show your grandchildren what you looked like in high school.

17. Don't spend all your money on college apparel before you even get there.

You don't realize how much free stuff is handed out before you get there. Buying a couple of sweatshirts is different from buying hundreds of dollars worth of stuff. You don't need to buy everything in the store. You have the next four years to do that.

18. If you end up committing to a school that wasn't your first choice, go in with an open mind.

Anything can happen if you keep an open mind. You may find that the people you meet make you love the school, you might still hate it after a semester or two. If that happens, you can transfer. You might find that the opportunities presented to you make you stay even though you don't like the people. If you go in thinking you'll be miserable, you will be.

19. Don't make promises you can't keep.

You'll find yourself promising lots of things to lots of people. You won't be able to keep them all, you'll be too busy to remember them. So keep only the ones you know you'll be able to. You'll feel less guilty about it in the long run.

20. Enjoy the summer, fall comes around faster than you think it can.

Don't spend the entire summer dorm shopping, everything is cheaper at the end anyways. This is the first summer that you aren't going to see all your friends after. You'll be in a new place, making new friends, so use your last summer wisely. Even if you have a job or intern somewhere, keep your weekends free. don't start college with regrets.