20 Lessons Learned In 20 Years

20 Lessons Learned In 20 Years

Despite all this, I'm still not quite ready for adulthood.
8

Two decades are a long time, so when you turn 20, it's a big deal. In what feels like the blink of an eye, the teen years are gone forever. Over the course of your life so far, you've learned a few things, both big and small, that have made you into the person you are.

1. Working hard is the best way to get ahead.

Sure there are loopholes and ways to get around doing any work at all, but succeeding after working your ass off is way more satisfying. It may be difficult, but the end result it so worth it.

2. Some things worth having are better earned than given.

Like money for example. "Money doesn't buy happiness!" Tell that to the person with 23 cents in their bank account. Sure, you can get it from your parents, but earning it just makes it yours.

3. Cleaning your room is more important than you think.

Some people are able to function in a mess, but that's rare. Rearranging and downsizing can actually change your whole attitude and make you feel like a new person.

4. It's OK to be single.

Yeah, there are very few things worse than being solo when all your friends are with their S.O. But if you use it as a time for yourself, it kind of becomes empowering. You have your whole life ahead of you to be tied down, enjoy yourself now! It's really not that bad, and...

5. You'll find someone, don't be so dramatic.

My family has this saying, "There's a seat for every ass," which basically means there's someone out there for everyone. So when you're looking at someone and thinking, "Why does she have a boyfriend and I don't?" Just remember that saying. This is so not worth worrying about.

6. Keep up with current events.

Knowing what's going on in the world around you is important for a number of reasons, especially giving you something intelligent to talk about with your friends and family.

7. Give everyone a second chance.

Unless they have done something obscenely unforgivable, everyone deserves a second chance to prove they're not terrible people.

8. But don't waste your time on people who don't make you happy.

Seriously, if there are people who continuously upset you, you're not a bad person for cutting them out of your life. You don't need that negativity.

9. Be unapologetic.

Don't change who you are for anyone else, just be yourself in all your crazy entirety. If they can't handle it, then they don't deserve you.

10. Find some form of exercise you actually enjoy.

It's hard to believe, because exercising is the worst, but if you find something you love, it becomes more fun than work and still benefits you in the end.

11. Don't hate anyone.

Hating takes too much energy. If someone wrongs you, just be indifferent, move on with your life. You know the old saying, "Don't get bitter, get better." Live by it.

12. Stop blaming other people.

It's easy to point fingers when even the smallest things go wrong, but taking responsibility is the mature route. Sometimes it will even lead people to respect you more for being able to own up to your mistakes.

13. Learn how to laugh at yourself.

Once you're able to do this, life becomes a lot easier and a lot more entertaining.

14. It's OK to be selfish sometimes, but be selfless more often.

Everyone says to put yourself first, and that's great occasionally. But by putting other people before yourself, you become the kind of person others can rely on for support.

15. Life is too short to "diet."

Don't starve yourself because you want to look good in pictures. Remember, everything is OK in moderation, and once you start eating the right foods, you realize how good they can actually be.

16. Take pictures, but don't live life through a lens.

Sometimes at the end of the night, you wish you had taken more pictures, but being present in the moment is way more important. Really being a part of the experience is a better memory to have than a few pictures.

17. It's OK to be unsure.

No one expects you to know what you're doing all the time. It's OK if you don't have a set plan. Just live your life, and you'll figure it out along the way.

18. Take your own advice.

A lot of times, it's easier time telling your friends the harsh truth and fixing their problems, but you can't seem to help yourself. Remember the advice you've given to everyone else next time you find yourself in a similar situation.

19. Surround yourself with the right people.

Never be friends with people who make you question yourself or make you act like a different person. When you find a group you really click with, you become so much happier.

20. Live every day to the fullest.

You seriously don't know when your last day is, so live every day to the fullest. This is the only life you get to live; do everything you can.

So yes, two decades is a long time, and you experience a lot, but there is still so much more to learn. Sometimes it may seem like any little thing is the end of the world, but keep it together and you'll be fine. You're young, enjoy every moment and remember it's all going to be OK.