​20 Facts You Might Not Have Known about How I Met Your Mother

The CockaMouse IS real...

1530
Rakafarian

“It’s gonna be legend- wait for it and I hope you’re not lactose intolerant because the second half of that word is...

1. David Burtka, who plays Lily’s high school boyfriend Scooter, is actually Neil Patrick Harris’s real life husband. Taran Killam, who plays Barney’s co-worker Gary Blauman, is actually Cobie Smulder’s real life husband. Alexis Denisof, who plays Robin’s coworker Sandy Rivers, is actually Alyson Hannigan’s real life husband.

2. During most of Season 4, Cobie Smulders and Alyson Hannigan were pregnant. Since the producers did not want their pregnancies to interfere with their storylines, large handbags and loose clothing were used to disguise their stomachs.

3. In the episode, “Doppelgangers,” all of the characters’ doppelgangers were based on versions of the characters’ selves that they themselves would like to be. Barney aspired to be Dr. John Stangels, who examines vaginas for a living. Lily aspired to be Stripper Lily, who has no trouble expressing her sexuality. Robin aspired to be Lesbian Robin, who does not have to depend on men for her needs. Marshall aspired to be Mustache Marshall, a successful lawyer with a cool mustache. Ted aspired to be Mexican Wrestler Ted, who is someone that is awed by every one of his friends.

4. Cobie Smulders was actually born in Vancouver, Canada, which is why she can be seen frequently donning a Vancouver Canucks jersey.

5. MacLaren’s was based on a real-life bar called McGee’s, in which the directors of the show would visit to brainstorm upcoming episodes. It is located on W 55th St., New York.

6. In the episode “Last Cigarettes,” the five friends are depicted as smoking addicts. However, in reality, Alyson Hannigan has voiced her complaints on her having to kiss Jason Segel, due to his tremendous smoking addiction.

7. In the episode, “Something Blue,” there was an actual wedding proposal during the scene when Ted and Robin were about to break up.

8. Victoria would’ve been The Mother if the show had ended early.

9. In every statistic that Barney used to help substantiate his wildest claims, he always used 83%.

10. All websites that were mentioned during the show are actual websites, such as TedMosbyisaJerk.com, lorenzovonmatterhorn.com, brobibs.com. More websites can be found here.

11. The CockaMouse is REAL. Producer Kourtney Kang discovered it while living in an apartment in New York.

12. There were only 12 instances during the series in which Barney was not wearing a suit.

13. Lyndsy Fonseca and David Henrie, who played Ted’s two children in the show, had known about the finale twist long before the show had ended. Both had to sign confidentiality contracts indicating they would not speak of their entrusted knowledge to anyone before the finale was shown.

14. Lily would’ve also had a musical number like Robin, but Alyson Hannigan begged the producers so much so that she did not have to perform.

15. Barney Stinson was named after a heroin dealer from James Ellroy’s book LA Confidential.

16. Many of the characters’ quirks, such as Ted’s vast array of knowledge and Marshall’s love for singing, are actual quirks of the actors and actresses.

17. Neil Patrick Harris was given a lifetime supply of Red Bull due to the number of free advertising he has provided for the company.

18. At the end of the show, Josh Radnor kept the blue French horn and Neil Patrick Harris kept The Playbook.

19. In the episode “The Pineapple Incident,” there was a deleted scene that explained how Ted woke up next to a pineapple. According to The Captain, “It’s an old sea captain’s tradition to put a pineapple on your porch as a symbol of hospitality,” which is why he kept one in front of house, leaving drunk Ted to steal it afterwards.

20. <<<SPOILER ALERT>>> There has been a lot of controversy surrounding the show’s ending on whether Robin really loved Ted or if she simply agreed to be with him out of fear of loneliness. There is a deleted scene of the finale that shows Robin revealing her true feelings to Ted after all these years. Claims have been debated on whether Robin had actually lied to Ted after he asked her if she loved him. Some say she only rejected him out of her fear of tarnishing his dreams of having children or losing him as a best friend. Watch it here.

...DAIRY!”