New England Patriots: 2 Week Recap

New England Patriots: 2 Week Recap

While it's early, it never hurts to take a look on what's good and bad so far with the Patriots.

35
New England Patriots: 2 Week Recap
White House Archives

While it is early on in this young NFL season, as Patriots fans, and fans of football in general, we have to over analyze everything. After week 1's loss to the Chiefs, the hot takes were spewing all over the place. Yes, it was week 1, but that team out there did not look like Super Bowl champs whatsoever So by some, overreaction seemed fair in a way. Week 2 rolled around and this team got back to what we all knew what they were. This team torched the Saints in almost all categories (passing: 436 yards vs 348 yards, rushing: 119 yards vs 81 yards). Going into Week 3, fans are feeling a little more confident after the beatdown they handed the Saints (granted the Saints are ranked last in team defense) but will have a tougher time against a 6th ranked Texans defense so let's take a look at 3 takeaways so far in this early season going forward to Houston and beyond.

1. Brady is back.

Week 1 was tough for Brady, yes, but that's because the Chiefs pass defense was on a different level that night and it was borderline impossible to find an open receiver. Brady just finished that game going 16/36 for just 267 yards and was sacked 3 times for a loss of 20 yards. It wasn't just Brady, but the whole offense looked off that night so maybe if the scheme that night was planned out differently, does this team come out with a win? Maybe. But the Chiefs defense was so on point, it'd be hard for any QB to succeed against them that night. Luckily, Brady was able to have a nice bounce-back game against the Saints and bounce back he did. Brady went 30/39 for 447 yards with 3 TD's. Every time Brady threw the ball, it just felt like it was going to go for some kind of big gain or touchdown. When you make a touchdown pass like what Brady did to Gronkowski, you know it's going to be a good game. Brady seemed more comfortable and 'into the game' per say, he had that fire in him that against the Chiefs toward the end seemed to be missing from him and the team. Consider the Saints game a reassurance for Pats fans concerned about this offense, Brady was back to spreading the ball around and connecting with favorite targets looking like the Brady of old. Going forward, we shouldn't be too concerned about Tom since he is, in fact, the GOAT.

2. Is Malcolm Butler and Stephon Gilmore (mainly Butler) ok?

Butler hasn't looked like the same dominant pass-defender this season. Against the Saints, he didn't even get the starting nod. Instead, New England went with offseason acquisition Stephon Gilmore and Eric Rowe. An argument could be made that the Patriots didn't rely on Butler as much because of his 5'11" size. The Saints do have some big and physical receivers, so the 6'1" Rowe at least looks like a better physical matchup.However, performance could also be the issue at hand. Butler surrendered a touchdown to Brandon Coleman during the game. Week 1 he also was flagged for a key pass interference play and while pass interference is ticky tack calls in general, this still was not a good look since it put the Chiefs down near the goal line. With his snap count decreasing slowly each game, some could say this is taking the turn of a Jaime Collins situation who was traded after week 4 last year. This will be something to keep an eye on for sure. As for Butler's partner in crime Stephon Gilmore, he just looks off. In week 1, he let up this embarrassingly bad touchdown pass and week 2 he just didn't stand out really. He was on Saints star receiver Michael Thomas most of the day allowing 5 catches for 89 yards but allowed a big play for 33 yards. Granted, I could just be being picky but for a corner, we're paying 15 million dollars a year for, I'd like for my top corner to show more emotion and passion when he plays and week 2 there were moments where he seemed to care but not care. I could be rambling here on Gilmore, I don't know. Mainly the concern is with Butler and what his fate will be since we know Gilmore will be the number 1 corner going forward.

3. Mike Gillislee is pretty fun.

Who would've thunk Mike Gillislee would be THIS much of a great fit with the Patriots? When signed, fans viewed him as a replacement to Blunt being more of a bruiser when running with the ball. However, he's been way more than that. After two weeks, Gillislee ranks in the top 20 in rushing and number 1 in touchdowns as well whereas Blount isn't even in the top 50 in rushing and ranks 31st in touchdowns. Seems like Gillislee is a nice upgrade and is he ever. It feels like the Patriots have a legit running back which has been a while and while he doesn't wow you with 150 rushing yards a game and crazy stats like that, he gets the job done and makes smart plays. While the team lost week 1, Gillislee scored 3 touchdowns that night and another this past Sunday against the Saints. It's fun watching this guy play since it seems he fits the system really well and catches the ball really well as well Going forward, I expect Gillislee to continue being a big factor for this team whether it's the run game or passing game, this guy has it all and it's going to be exciting to see what he can do.

As we can see, while it is early, the Patriots seem to look alright going forward and there is nothing drastic that this team has issues with. If this team lost to the Saints last week, then well we'd be having a different discussion obviously. However, they did what they needed to do and showed us all, don't worry, they were Super Bowl champs for a reason and champions adjust.