I'm A 19-Year-Old With A Love For Classic Television

Don't let the opinions of others define what you love

5
tvnewscheck.com

We have all heard about the vintage fad. Certain people will like something because that is what is "in this month" and others will refuse to like it because it is "too mainstream." I personally cannot help but find how ridiculous it is that we, humans with our own minds to think with and form opinions will like or dislike something simply because of a fad.

There is a stereotype that "hipsters" are very into vintage, that it is cool. While i may not agree with the reasoning behind this i can agree that just because something isn't new doesn't mean it should be discredited. I live in a small town, we don't have cable and we had dial up internet until i was in sixth grade, and even now our satellite internet is not fast enough to stream videos. Due to this i missed out on "Netflix" and popular cable shows. Instead i would turn to the twelve channels that we got on our TV. I began to fall in love with the old shows from the mid 60's and 70's. Shows including Gilligans Island (1964-1967) which was a tale of stranded castaways. Hogans Heroes (1965-1971) which is a comedy of WWII prisoners of war who committed sabotage from inside a German prison camp. Happy Days (1974-1984) and Laverne and Shirley (1976-1983) both which in a comedic manner show the adventures and stories of a family living in the mid 50's to mid 60's and a pair of roommates living in Milwaukee in the same time period.

My lack of access to cable and streaming service led me to be able to watch and appreciate what now may be classified as "classic television." Even now 13-2 (Me-TV) and 6-2 are my two favorite channels at home. With Me-TV airing these "classic" tv shows and 6-2 airing a wide variety of movies from different decades.

Even though there has been a shift in values from the time when these shows first aired. I believe them to be timeless. Lucille Ball was funny when her shows first aired in the early 50's, and she has me, a 19 year old in the year 2016 laughing now. Just because these shows were made before my time does not mean i should discredit them. I do not enjoy these shows because they are "vintage," i enjoy them because they are wholesome which is refreshing and genuinely make me laugh. They can be a good change of pace to intertwine with modern television.

Just as we can learn from our past, we can appreciate it as well. Just because you enjoy "vintage" television, or you play records still and enjoy music from before your time. It doesn't make you "hipster" and it doesn't make you old. You shouldn't discredit these things because you are worried how others should react. If you enjoy something you should embrace it, it is who you are. I may be called weird, or grandma by some of my friends due to my love for old televisions, records and movies, but it does not change that it is a part of who i am. So if old TV is something you enjoy be a "oldie" with me! And if you have never heard of any of these shows, you should give them a try. You may be surprised!
.