19 One-Word Resolutions You Need For 2018

Save money on that gym membership you'll only use for 3 weeks, and replace it with a one-word resolution!
1603

By the time this posts, I will be 19 years old, which is just crazy to me. With my birthday being New Year's Eve, I often spend my time thinking of New Year's Resolutions. Like most others, I'll say: "I'll go to the gym this year!" "I'm never going to eat chocolate again!" "I'm going to stop procrastinating!" "I'm going to lose 50 lbs!"

But let's cut the bullshit.

Look, I know New Year's Resolutions are motivational and inspiring, but we all know they never make it to February. And if I'm being honest, it's because we're setting ourselves up for failure, ironically. Psychologists refer to this as 'False Hope Syndrome,' which is when you give yourself an extremely specific and unrealistic resolution that doesn't correlate with how you internally view yourself.

I know what you're thinking: "Well I'm screwed. 2018 is going to be terrible."

BUT FEAR NOT! FOR I HAVE ANOTHER IDEA FOR YOU!

Listen to me, and listen carefully because I'm going to give you some specific instructions. First, write down your original New Year's Resolution(s). Then, take that paper, crumple it up, burn it, and take the ashes and dump them into a pool of acid. Trust me on this one, guys.

Now, get a new sheet of paper. Write down who you want to become in your life. When someone hears your name, what do you want them to think of? Ultimately, ask yourself "WHY?"

In continuation, write down a list of desirable characteristics. What characteristics will help you achieve the "WHY?" Do this with only one word no phrases! Now look up the definition of these words, and some words that are similar.

Lastly, choose one word from your list. That's right, just one. Choose the one that encompasses the "WHY?" of who you want to be. It's crucial that you only choose one, otherwise you'll become overwhelmed and mentally exhausted. Don't worry, there's no right or wrong choice. Just listen to your heart, and go with the word you're drawn to the most.

Now instead of this super specific and unrealistic resolution, you have a simpler and more broad term that you can apply to multiple parts of your life!

I know that this process is kind of difficult, and that's okay. I'm here to help you! In honor of my 19th birthday and New Year's, I listed out 19 ideas for your one-word resolution. These words are also 19 lessons that I've learned throughout my life. Make 2018 your best year yet!!!!

1. Love

Every single living being on this planet feels love and craves love. Think of love as the first domino in a domino knockdown. When love is initiated, it initiates other things like kindness, compassion, passion, tenderness, concern, peace, and so on. If we work on spreading more of it, to ourselves and others, then it will cause a beautifully crafted domino effect.

2. Advocate

This one is pretty simple in theory: learn how to be your biggest supporter! Advocate for what you need in your life and be proactive.

3. Seek

In my opinion, our society is pretty close-minded. Not many people like doing things that are out of their comfort zone. To break out of this zone, seek the new and widen your horizon.

4. Cleanse

Cleanse your mind, body, and soul throughout 2018. I promise you, when you do this, you'll see everything in a new, radiant, and beautiful light.

5. Joy

Most people tend to think that joy and happiness are synonymous, but they aren't at all. Happiness is externally triggered by your surroundings, is short-term, and is superficial; it's pretty easy to find and experience. Joy, however, you have to dig deep for because it comes from finding internal peace.

6. Find

Once again, this is pretty simple in theory: go out and find yourself. Find yourself beyond your persona on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, etc. Who are you truly? Who are you without social media?

7. Endure

Life is filled with high-highs and low-lows. However, we tend to forget about the highs when experiencing the lows; we think there's no end to the low. Endure through all the lows and battle it out because the deeper the trench is, the higher the peak will be.

8. Appreciate

This is kind of similar to endure. With life's highs and lows, we take the highs for granted and loathe the lows. Even the scale and learn to appreciate both. Accept the highs with love, and accept the lows with love because they make you into who you are.

9. Grow

Honestly, we grow mentally and physically without really noticing. But use 2018 to figure out what it is that allows you to grow, and utilize this!

10. Be

This probably seems a little weird on its own, but in a way it kind of represents what I mean: be you. Be original, be unique, and be who you want to be. You will find such an indescribable joy in your life once you do.

11. Fall

Let yourself fall. Take the L on that exam. Have that mental breakdown. It's okay to fall. In fact, it's a beautiful process. In falling, you learn how to get back up. We need failure to succeed.

12. Surrender

Surrender your reputation. If you spend your life being someone you're not just to keep up a reputation, you'll never find joy. When you surrender your reputation, you'll give your all to what you love and what you're passionate about.

13. Invest

Invest your time into people who are willing to do the same for you. Friendships and relationships are two-way streets; you need reciprocation and love reflected back to you.

14. Initiative

Become independent and take the initiative in your life! Stop depending on others for the answers you need; go out and get them yourself!

15. Fight

When it comes to your passions and beliefs, fight for them. Stand up for them. You'll find determination, motivation, passion, and inspiration you never knew you had in yourself.

16. Embrace

Personally, I think everyone comes into my life for a reason, no matter how long their stay lasts or how they act towards me. When you learn to embrace each one of them and how they influenced your personal growth, grudges will lift and your heart will grow stronger.

17. Heal

Similar to cleanse, take the time to heal the brokenness within yourself. Don't use "Only time can heal this," as an excuse because we all know we just use this to ignore the breaking. Face the breaking head-on, and fight the battle.

18. Strength

We often believe our strength comes from our highest moments in life, so when we are at our lowest points, we think we can never get out. However, our greatest strengths come from our weakest moments. Use your weak moments to find your strengths.

19. Breathe

Inhale, exhale. In through your nose, out through your mouth. Just breathe. Use controlled breathing as a calming exercise. Use it to realize that whatever you're feeling is valid and real. Breathe it out