With my birthday quickly approaching, I wanted to take the time to reflect on some of the biggest life lessons I have learned in my short 19 years of life. Things can get tricky sometimes and things can be incredible but whatever season you are in the midst of, these lessons are sure to help any of us.

1. Family can betray you.

The toughest lesson to learn is that even family can hurt you in the worst ways.

2. There is a greater plan.

Even through the trials and tribulations, there is a plan and a reason why. Hold out hope.

3. You cannot trust everyone.

Don't be so quick to share your secrets with every new friend you meet because you never know who might spill.

4. Choose your friends wisely.

THIS. IS. SO. IMPORTANT. I got so lucky with my group of friends because I know that in any situation they will have my back and support me. Don't surround yourself with people who will put you in bad situations either, make sure you have a good head on your shoulders.

5. Do what is best for you.

It is okay to be selfish every once in a while. You don't always have to put yourself through hell to please everyone else.

6. Do what you want to do and not what everyone else wants you to do.

Everyone has their opinions on what they think you should be doing and it's one thing to take into consideration what they are saying but do not let it be what makes your decisions.

7. Take chances.

Say yes to things you wouldn't normally agree too. Go on dates with boys you just met (be careful, obviously), text that guy first or message him first because let's face it: we only have one life.

8. You do not have to have your entire life figured out.

This took me the longest to figure out. Chances are more than half the people your age don't have everything figured out either so don't sweat it and take it day by day.

9. You will meet your life long friends with out even trying.

I would have never imagined me being as close with the group of people I am today and it happened because I wasn't looking and they are all the biggest blessings in my life (shoutout to my second family!).

10. Trust your judgment.

Your gut will always be right.

11. Be kind to everyone.

Even if they are hateful towards you, be kind.

12. Do not take yourself too seriously (it's okay to laugh at yourself).

I will be the first one to admit that I laugh at myself all the time. I fall down a lot and sometimes I say things that don't make sense but instead of getting embarrassed, I laugh it off.

13. It is perfectly okay to fail.

We all fail. You may be failing while all your friends are succeeding but that's okay because chances are they have all been in your shoes before and it will all work out.

14. Search for the positives in every situation.

The hardest thing to do. Ever. One of the worst days could happen and I still sit down and try to find a life lesson or a positive that came out of that day and trust me, it is challenging but worth it.

15. Time will heal everything

You don't need to get over that boy in two weeks or even two months and you don't need a timeline or grieving either. Things will happen when they are supposed too and time will heal everything.

16. Be open to change.

Allow yourself to grow and blossom into a new person with the same heart.

17. Forgive yourself for your past.

It's easy to constantly nag on yourself for what has been done in the past but make your amends and let it go. We all make mistakes and we all have room to grow.

18. Knowledge is a powerful weapon.

Pay attention in school and to the media. The more you know, the more you can achieve.

19. Appreciate every moment you have.

Soak it all in because you never know when the last moment you're going to experience is and when the last moment you're going to experience with another person is. Tell the people you love that you love them and never take a single breath for granted.