19 Things I Have Learned In 19 Years

19 Things I Have Learned In 19 Years

The things I have experienced, and the emotions I have felt have shaped me into the person I am today.

35
19 Things I Have Learned In 19 Years
Taylor Markee

I have been 19 for a few months, and have been really thinking hard about everything I have learned in these past years. I have so much life under my belt for only being 19. The things I have experienced, and the emotions I have felt have shaped me into the person I am today.

Here are 19 things I have learned by 19:

1. First and foremost, life is short.

I learned this at the very young age of 13. That was the year I saw my first loss. It was a big loss, and it taught me to remember that life is short. We don't know how many days we have on this earth. I have faced a loss so many times in the past few years, and it hasn't been fun, but it is something that has taught me so much about life. It doesn't last forever.

2. Write every day, and about everything.

Thanks to my high school teachers, I learned to love to write. Writing is so important because we are only human we can't remember everything. By writing, you can take note of your favorite parts of your day or even your least favorite parts. Writing is very therapeutic, and even if you think you aren't a good writer, write anyway.

3. Always lend a helping hand.

I love to help people, it is part of my personality. I always think about everyone before I think of myself. I have been put in situations where I have gotten no help, and it is a bummer. Everyone needs somebody. I am lucky to have two or three solid friends to help me through the tough stuff. Whenever I notice that someone I know is having a bad day, I always talk to them about it. You never know how much you could impact that person by just talking to them and listening.

4. Drink coffee in the morning.

This is silly, but it is definitely important. I am always exhausted so without coffee, I am not sure if I would make it through my days. In fact, I am sitting in Starbucks right now with a coffee by my side. It is the one thing I can rely on to give me energy, besides the naps I never have time to take. I am neither denying nor confirming that I am addicted to coffee.

5. Pray.

Life isn't always easy. People are hurting in the world, there is suffering that is out of our control. Praying may not fix everything, but it does help, and God is always ready to listen to us when other people are not.

6. Always say thank you to the shuttle driver.

I go to a smaller college in Florida, and we are so lucky to have shuttles that pick us up and drive us to campus. Because if we are being honest it's too hot to walk to class most of the year. These shuttle drivers spend their days, making sure we get to class safely. So always say thank you. They don't get much in return for what they do, so always let them know that they are appreciated.

7. Always let your friends know that you appreciate them.

I am one of those people that is constantly thanking my friends, or reminding them how much they mean to me. Like I said in the beginning, life is short. Let your friends know that they are loved and appreciated.

8. Patella Femoral pain syndrome is no joke.

I got diagnosed with PFPS in high school after noticing an increase in knee pain. I did not know the extent to this syndrome until after my physical therapy sessions were over and they still hurt. It is something I have learned to live with, and I never take the good days for granted because there are a lot of days where I am in constant pain. I never knew walking across campus would be so hard.

9. Trust in God.

This one is tough for me because of all the loss I have faced. But it is something that we should all do. No one knows God's plan for our lives, and sometimes that is scary but He knows what is best for us. God never fails, and He has a plan for all of us.

10. Love yourself.

This isn't always easy, but it is something that I have learned throughout my years that is important.

11. Call your family.

Life can get busy, and it is hard to remember to pick up the phone and call back home. I am so bad at remembering to call home every once in a while, but I try to make it a point to call at least once a week and check in.

12. Take a break from social media.

This is one of the most important things to remember. We get so lost in social media on a daily basis, and it is important to take a break.

13. Bad days happen, and it's okay.

I hate having bad days. I always try to hide the fact that I am having a bad day because I don't want to bring anyone else down. I have learned that bad days happen and it's okay to embrace them. Some days are just harder than others.

14. Treat yourself, every so often.

Life gets tough, and it's important to do something for yourself every once in a while.

15. Worrying isn't going to change anything.

I am a worrier. I worry about everything. It is such an unhealthy habit but it is something that is so hard to break. Throughout the years, I have learned to turn to my friends or God when something is making me worry.

16. It's okay to not be okay.

Life is not going to be perfect all the time. Just make sure that you carry a positive attitude as much a possible.

17. Talk to other people.

You can learn so much from other people, if you listen to them and their story.

18. Enjoy every single day you get.

I can't stress this one enough. This goes back to the beginning with life is short. We need to enjoy everyday that we are blessed with on this earth. We never know what could happen, and how soon we could lose everything.

19. It will be okay in the end.

Things may not be perfect right now, but God knows what He is doing with our lives.