Top 19 Things I Learned Before my 19th Birthday

19 Things I Learned Before Turning 19 Years Old

Age only defines you if you let it.

76

So November 26th is my birthday. I was born on Black Friday and I always tell people, "My parents got me half off at the store" and people either laugh or stare at me until they get the joke. I usually make a YouTube video based off of this topic, but this year I decided to write an article instead. Today I am going to share with you 19 things that I have learned over the course of my life so far. Some of the things will be silly and others pretty serious. Enjoy!

1. Be Yourself

NUMBER ONE LESSON. If there is anything I can share with anyone is that it is highly important to be yourself. Why try to be someone else when you are so great at being yourself? Sticking to your true colors shows confidence, and it is important to have a good self-esteem. Self love is so critical to one's life. Don't throw away your needs and personality away to be someone else. Not worth it.

2. Dedication and Hard Work Lead to Success

You will not get anywhere in life if you do not work hard. Be dedicated and work at what you love to do. If you don't love what you're doing, change it! You have your whole life to find your calling (not really but kind of), and you have control of what path you take. Yes others may influence you along the way, but in the end it comes down to what you do and HOW you do it. Work hard, and work harder.

3. Grilled Cheese>>>

This would be an example of a silly lesson I learned. Grilled cheese is such a great snack/meal. So easy to make and so delicious to eat. Don't fight me. It is so simple that it is amazing.

4. Be Nice To Everyone

Treat people the way you want to be treated! Common lesson that everyone should know. If you treat people with respect, they will treat you the same way (most of the time). Listen it is just better to be nice to people. It takes less energy to be nice than it is to be cruel. I hate that this world is full of hate and that it is so hard for everyone to get along. Go out of your way every now and then to do something extra nice for someone. Not only will it make them feel good, it will make you feel better as well.

5. Everyone Has Their Inner KidĀ 

Everyone is a child on the inside. No matter how much you suppress it there will always be that thing inside you dying to do something childish again. It's there. For me I just always bring it out. I find it better to feel and act young even as you are maturing. I'm not saying to be a little brat, but what I am saying is that it is okay to let loose! Just live your life and be happy. Do things that you haven't done since you were a kid because you CAN.

6. The Pythagorean Theorem

A squared plus B squared equals C squared. Look it up.

7. Middle School is HellĀ 

Everyone hates middle school. I have not met one person who has told me that they genuinely enjoyed middle school. Puberty hits you, crushes happen, people make out in the hallways, and the teachers "prepare" you for high school like you are about to die. It is ridiculous. I think it should be elementary school, high school for 7 years, and then college (if you choose to obviously). Bye middle school.

8. Sports Aren't For Everyone

Typing this up as I sit in the studio for our Sports channel on our college campus. I love sports. I just hate playing them sometimes. Right now I'm doing sound for the show and I love it. The topic about sports interests me. Playing a sport for FUN is great. I hate competitive leagues. Whenever I played as a kid my coaches made it about winning and not having fun. I got so frustrated and as a 2nd grader I should not be feeling that way! If you aren't good at sports or you don't like playing them it is totally okay. Also FLY BIRDS.

9. Sleeping in The Cold > Sleeping in The Heat

Logic. You sleep with more layers when it's cold and it works out. You sleep with less layers when it's hot and it still sucks.

10. Don't Take People For Granted

When you find people in your life that you care about and they care about you, do NOT take them for granted. Always be there for the people you love and as time goes on you will see who truly matters in your life. You never know when people will walk out the door, and you never know who is going to walk right in soon after that. Friendship and love is a pure concept of life. Again, be yourself and you will find the people that will love you for who you are.

11. Easy Mac and Cheese is a GIFT

After living on a college campus for over 2 months now, I have come to having a daily meal of Easy Mac and Cheese. Every. Single. Day. It is the most beautiful piece of food I ever tasted. Just need to heat it up for 3 minutes and BOOM. A delicious bowl of Mac and Cheese right in front of you. If you're a college student and you want to save money, get some Easy Mac and Cheese.

12. The Elderly are Some of My Favorite People

So I work in a nursing home as an activities assistant and it is the best thing in the world. I literally play games and eat food with the residents. Greatest job ever. What I love most about working with the residents is talking with them about anything. They give the greatest advice and they are so honest. Sometimes a little TOO honest, but still. Having conversations with them makes my day, and they always have the right things to say. Hearing their stories from their pasts and sharing jokes just makes me feel so happy. It makes me realize that when I get older, I want to make sure I lived a great life so that I have awesome stories to tell just like they do.

13. Musical Theatre is Very Powerful

I started participating in musical theatre when I was in sixth grade. Greatest choice I ever made. I got to meet some of my closest friends through theatre, and I am so glad it is a part of my life. When I see a show, I feel so many emotions from the actors and the songs they perform. This is an art that has been here for centuries, and I'm so happy to see that it is still growing. Musical theatre taught me that I can't be afraid to be vulnerable anymore, and it honestly made an impact on who I am as a person today. It is truly amazing when a story you love and know so well comes to life on stage right in front of you.

14. The Dark Will ALWAYS Be Scary.

Bro I hate the dark. Catch me turning on every light in my house when I'm home alone running up the stairs because I'm afraid some freaking demon is chasing me. True Story.

15. Family is Everything

I get it. Not everyone has the greatest family situations. You need to be grateful for your family that you have, whether they are blood related or even just some friends that you've grown really close to over the years. Family is family. They should be there for you and vice versa. Family is about values and love and being there for the ones you care about most. I'm truly grateful for my family. Blood related or not. That goes for the people that I lived with all my life, and same for the friends that I've gotten really close to over the years. I love you guys.

16. Seafood <<<

I'm sorry but the act of eating fish just grosses me out. It is not good! I'm pretty sure the other day for lunch I ate a sandwich with fish in it, when it was supposed to be some kind of chicken sandwich. I lost my appetite after that one.

17. College is a Once in a Lifetime Experience

If you are in college I have one thing to say: enjoy it. I'm already more than halfway done with my first semester like what the heck? Before you know it I'll be a junior in college trying to find internships for a possible career. College is a one time opportunity to make it count for four years. Don't sit around doing nothing. You're paying a lot of money for four years so you better make it count.

(that last sentence was kind of an @ at myself lol).

18. Christmas Time is the Best Time

Totally get that not everyone will agree with me but I LOVE Christmas. Already listening to my Pentatonix Christmas playlist and it gets me in the festive mood. I still get excited for Christmas despite how old I am. I love decorating, eating cookies, seeing friends and family, buying gifts for friends, doing Secret Santa, going sledding in the backyard, and EVERYTHING. How can you NOT love Christmas? Don't be a Scrooge or a Grinch this year. Go out and make some Holiday cheer for people.

19. Time Flies

You think I'm kidding? Yesterday I was in my toy room playing with some Power Ranger action figures, and today I'm in a college dorm room an hour and a half away from my home. It is crazy to think that there is no going back. There is no going back to the playdates next door or the 5 year old birthday parties where you would get that great toy you always wanted. There is no turning back from the work in front of you today. Time flies. Yes, it is important to keep moving forward, but NEVER lose your values. Most importantly, never lose touch with you who you are. It is great to mature and grow as a human being, but it is also important to remember your roots and how you got to where you are by the stuff that you did in your past. Enjoy every moment of your life because you never know when it could all go wrong.

Those are 19 things that I learned before turning 19. I hope you all enjoyed this article as much as I did. I really liked typing this up for once instead of filming a video about it (also go subscribe to my channel thanks). Life is short, and it is critical that we use our time wisely. Enjoy your day everyone!

Your Friend,

Al