19 Lessons From 19 Candles

19 Lessons From 19 Candles

Why go through life letting the struggles win? Find a positive outlook instead.

51
19 Lessons From 19 Candles
cbaquiran

You learn something new every day, sometimes it’s how to bake a cake, sometimes it’s a breakthrough in your field of study. Throughout my life, I have been exposed to many situations and have always tried to discover something new each day. However, I can’t exactly remember what new thing I have learned every day in my nineteen years of life so far, so here is a list of some of the more important life lessons I have learned.

1. You’ll only hear what the media wants you to hear, so the truth can take a little searching

Fake news is a real issue and it doesn’t just apply to politics. You should always be on the look out for what is true and what is “news"

2. The five people you spend most of your time with are who you start acting like

Choose friends that make you a better you and be careful not to start spending too much time hanging with the wrong crowd.

3. Hot chocolate fixes everything

Your favorite mug and a warm chocolatey drink. There’s no better cure.

4. Trust your parent’s instincts… they are usually pretty accurate

I know it can be oh so very frustrating when your mom tells you exactly what you did not want to hear but trust her, she probably has a little bit more experience than you think.

5. Don’t overlook the time spent sitting and talking with family

Yes, you will survive if you put your phone in your room and spend time with those who love you.

6. It’s the little things that mean the most

When you hear someone say “it’s the thought that counts” there is quite a bit of truth to that. You don’t have to always go over board on a gift or go out to the nicest place for dinner, sometimes a home-cooked meal is the best idea.

7. You’ll have friends for a reason, friends for a season, and friends for a life time. The tricky part is figuring out which it is.

If you start drifting from the friends you thought would last forever it’s okay, you never know if you’ll cross paths again or if they were just meant for that part of your life. Don’t overdo yourself trying to keep something that isn’t meant to last.

8. Don’t fall for someone you haven’t built a friendship with first

Friends first. Then love. It is really hard to go into a relationship when you do not know much about them. Life may seem like it’s moving fast but it will only feel faster if you jump into a relationship without warning and full speed ahead. Slow down and build a friendship first. I can almost guarantee both people will feel happier and safer.

9. If you are struggling, God is always there to help

Don’t forget about the One guy above who created the flowers and animals and you especially. If you talk to Him and build a relationship, He will always be there to help.

10. Determination and dedication will go a long way

Practice makes perfect and the determination will carry you through. Always follow through and stay strong in what you believe.

11. It’s important to know and remember where you came from

Where you came from has a major influence. Whether it be somewhere that brought struggle to your life it can push you to keep fighting and show who you are, but also if you had the track of being handed quite a bit growing up, use that as encouragement to have the ability to do the same for your family or a charity in the future.

12. A healthy lifestyle is key

Living healthy does not just mean how you eat; although that is important, it also relates to being rested, having a healthy work life, staying active, and not abusing your luxuries.

13. If it's something worth doing, it's worth doing it right

Why go through the trouble of doing something twice? If you do it right the first time you save that future time frame for a chance to be productive in another way.

14. A home cooked meal can’t be beat

You’ll come to realize that when you live off dining hall food and take out that there is nothing like smelling food grilling in the backyard or a casserole being taken out of the oven. Take advantage of the home cooked meals that come your way.

15. School doesn’t always go your way but not giving up says more than your grades do

It’s crushing when you study your... butt... off for an exam and don’t do as well as you thought you did. But that can be a lesson as to what worked and what didn’t in terms of studying or even writing. As long as you keep working to your highest potential that will go further than the B you got in Finance450.

16. The days you start brand new are the ones you’ll feel your best

It’s important not to let baggage from yesterday carry over to today. You have the past, present, and future. Live like it.

17. No matter how old you are, always stay young at heart

Nobody wants to be the grumpy neighbor the kids are scared to run into outside, keep the young life in you by staying connected to the kids on the street, always having a soft spot for Disney, and don’t forget what you were like when you were a teen, you too were head over heels for a high school love once.

18. Don’t live in a bubble

The world is too big and there are too many opportunities to become cultured. Take advantage of them. Try a new type of food, reach out to a foreign community, learn a new language. There is nothing wrong with always learning, you never know what else might come out of a new experience.

19. FOE. Family Over Everything.

This is something I started hearing a lot in high school and it is a lifestyle I will carry until I’m old.