19 Things I Learned At Age 19

19 Things I Learned At Age 19

A year of learning to forgive myself, and others.

70
19 Things I Learned At Age 19
Katarina Persson

As I celebrate my 20th birthday this week, I reflect on everything that I have learned at age 19. In some ways, I think that this year has been a year where I have learned and grown the most. But of course, that comes at a price. In return, I've had a year of really high highs and really low lows. But all in all, this year has been full of lessons that I will take with me for all of the years that are yet to come. Here are 19 of them:

1. We need feminism.

After watching countless women speak out about their sexual abuse, I became and took time to reflect on all of the ways that I have been degraded for being a woman and I can now proudly call myself a feminist.

2. How to actually do eyeliner.

There was a day somewhere along the way where things kind of just clicked for me and I'll be completely honest, I haven't really had a bad eyeliner day since.

3. Forgiveness.

Forgiving both myself, and others in every situation. I have made my fair share of mistakes and not to play the victim, but in the past year, I have watched people that I thought I could trust with my life turn on me. Instead of holding grudges, I have been forced to forgive them and move on.

4. Some people cannot be trusted.

Number 3 being said, there are some people that simply cannot be trusted. Although I've forgiven mostly everyone who has hurt me in the past year, there are some people who I have learned not to trust again.

5. There is absolutely nothing Taylor Swift can't fix.

Not only did "reputation"completely shape my year, but I learned to turn to Taylor Swift's old music in times of hurt and somehow, it makes things better. I related to the song Fifteen more when I was 19 than when I was 15.

6. Time can heal most anything.

And to quote my most relevant song of the year (Fifteen by Taylor Swift): "I've found time can heal most anything, and you just might find who you're supposed to be."

7. Washington D.C. is actually lame.

In the past year I visited the nation's capital for the first time and will honestly say that I wasn't as impressed as I had thought that I would be.

8. Your friends are there when you need them most.

This was the year where I learned to swallow my pride and turn to my friends when I needed advice or someone to talk to and I swear, I have been missing out.

9. You need to have your heart broken.

It took me going through my first real and traumatic heart break for me to do some real soul searching and to find myself. I truly now believe that you need to go through pain to be able to thrive in life.

10. I hate college, and that's okay.

College isn't for everyone. I liked high school more and that's fine. I'm here to get my degree and that's all. I can suck it up for these 4 years and make it just fine. This doesn't have to be the best time of my life.

11. Time goes a lot faster if you're always counting down to something.

Personally, to make college go by faster I started counting down the days to anything I was looking forward to (when I'd get to go home next, see my friends next, see my boyfriend next, the next holiday, etc.). Time started going by so much faster when I started doing this.

12. Taco Bell's menu is actually diverse and all around delicious.

For years I have stuck strictly to the Nacho Supreme and Baja Blast Freeze as my go to meal but this year I recently branched out to try the XXL Grilled Stuffed Burrito and I am changed. The menu overall is phenomenal.

13. I can live without Vine.

As much as it pains me to say it, life without Vine goes on. RIP.

14. I am more than my anxiety.

Some days are harder than others, but there has never been a day in my life where I let anxiety win. And the days where I beat it are accompanied with an incredible feeling of winning.

15. Never take a situation for granted.

The Manchester attack at the Ariana Grande concert opened my eyes so much. That could have been me. I was at her concert only 2 months prior. I took making it home safely for granted when there were so many who can't say the same.

16. There are cheats for Mario Kart.

Take my word for this and look them up on Youtube and thank me later.

17. To trust my gut.

There are times where we know the truth in our gut but simply don't want to believe it because it's not what we want to hear at the time. I've learned that our initial instinct is typically right, and to follow it.

18. But at the same time, to take chances.

We're only going to be on this Earth for a maximum of 120 years. Everything we do is temporary. It's worth taking chances.

19. There is still so much for me to learn.

As any teenager, I thought that I knew everything. Maybe it's the new adult in me, but I now know that I know virtually nothing. Here's to learning more lessons in my 20th year and in every year to come afterwards.