"Harry Potter" Quotes For 19 Years Later

Remembering the magic from the stone to the hallows

678
Odyssey

If you were to ask almost anyone to identify the book series about the wizard boy with a lightning scar they would automatically know that you were talking about "Harry Potter." After having seven books, eight movies, an amusement park, a movie studio tour and a ton of merchandise from clothing to some of the candy that can be seen in the movies, it is hard to find someone who has not heard about the famous boy wizard who saved the world from evil dark lord Voldemort.

From the release of the first book in the United Kingdom in 1997 till now, "Harry Potter" has not only influenced the generation that it was released during, but also the one after it as can be seen in the movie adaption of one of Harry’s textbooks, “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” that will be in theaters in November. Many Harry Potter fans know that this past Sunday the book adaption to the UK musical, "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child," was released in America. This book follows the life of Harry’s second son, Albus Severas Potter, who has to deal with a family legacy that he never wanted to have.

In order to get you excited for the new book, if you do not have it yet -- or to remind you of how amazing the first seven books were -- here are 19 quotes to represent the 19 years between the release of the first book in the UK, and now.

1. “It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.” Albus Dumbledore ("Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone")

Dreams are amazing things, but it is not a good idea to be so caught up in them that you forget to live your life in the present. There is no point in wasting your life just because you wish that you had something that you do not have. That is how people went mad by staring at the Mirror of Erised. They wished for the thing that they saw in the mirror so they were never content with what they already had.

2. “Books! And cleverness! There are more important things-friendship and bravery and-oh Harry-be careful!” Hermione Granger ("Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone")

There are many things that make someone a great person, or wizard, in this situation. Harry believed that it was cleverness and knowledge, which is why he believed that Hermione was a great witch. Hermione, on the other hand, believed that bravery and being a good friend to others made someone a great wizard, which is why she believed that Harry was one. In reality, they were both great wizards but in their own unique ways.

3. "Always use the proper name for things. Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself.” Dumbledore ("Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone")

When you are afraid to call someone, or something, by its proper name then you are only increasing your fear in that person or thing. Dumbledore did not fear Voldemort which is why he called him by his name and corrected Harry when he called him "You-Know-Who." When people refused to call Voldemort by his name they were just increasing their fear in him even though he posed no threat to them at the time.

4. "To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure." Albus Dumbledore ("Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone")

Yes, life itself is a grand adventure, but if you believe it death can be the start of another grand adventure. Immortality is not always a great thing to have. Ask Edward Cullen. He gets to live forever but he also sparkles whenever he goes out in the sun. That does not sound very appealing.

5. “It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.” Albus Dumbledore ("Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone")

Standing up to your enemies obviously takes bravery because they are your enemies, but so does standing up to your friends. It probably takes even more bravery to stand up to your friends than your enemies because you do not really care as much about hurting your enemies' feelings than you do hurting your friends' feelings.

6. “Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain.” Arthur Weasley ("Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets")

Basically, if a diary starts writing back to you after you have written in it then throw it away immediately. I mean I do not think that you want to open up the Chamber of Secrets or anything. Seriously though if an inanimate object looks like it can think then it is probably dangerous.

7. “It is our choices... that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” Albus Dumbledore ("Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets")

Everyone has a set of abilities that they were either born with or have developed over time. These abilities though do not reveal who a person truly is. It is what we choose to do in life that reveals our character to the world. For example, a person might be talented at basket ball but they might not choose not to practice so therefore people might think that they are lazy and a bad player. On the other hand, someone who is not as talented at basket ball, but is willing choose to put in the time and effort to practice, might be seen by his or her other teammates as hardworking and a good player.

8. “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if only one remembers to turn on the light.” Albus Dumbledore ("Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban")

Dumbledore is basically saying in this line that there is good in any situation, no matter how dark and hopeless it might seem. The dementors were the personification of dark and hopeless situations but all it took was one happy memory to conjure a patronus and destroy them. If you try hard enough then you should be able to find the light in the dark situation.

9. "If you want to know what a man’s like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.” Sirius Black ("Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire")

One of the best ways to see the kind of person someone is to see how they treat people who are below them either in social status, in a work environment, or anywhere else where someone might be superior to someone. Most people treat those with whom they are equal to with respect because of the fact that they are equal with them. Many times, though, people who treat their equals with respect will not show that same respect to those who are inferior to them.

10. "Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy.” Albus Dumbledore ("Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire")

In every situation there is always a right way to do something and an easy way to do something, and sometimes they are not the same way. Dumbledore is warning the students that because of Voldemort's return they will have to choose between joining Voldemort to save themselves, which is what is easy, or stand against Voldemort and risk losing their lives, which is what is right. Even though most of the time we are not in life or death situations we still have the choice to either take the easy way out or do the right thing which might be harder.

11. “You place too much importance... on the so-called purity of blood! You fail to recognize that it matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be!” Albus Dumbledore ("Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire")

People should not pre-judge a person because of what they look like or who their family is. They might grow up to be a movie star, a famous singer or the next president of the United States. A person's social status at birth does not pre-determine the kind of person that they will grow up to be. For example, Dobby was born as a house elf which is basically a slave, but he ended up saving Harry’s life. You can never tell how great a person will be based on the social standing that they are born into, you just have to wait until they grow up in order to see how great they will be.

12. “We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided. Lord Voldemort's gift for spreading discord and enmity is very great. We can fight it only by showing an equally strong bond of friendship and trust. Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.” Albus Dumbledore ("Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire")

When a group of people are united under one goal then they are strong, but if they allow small differences like race, gender and other personal characteristics and beliefs to divide them then they will be weak. Opposing teams might try to pick out your team’s faults, like Voldemort, and try to tear your team apart using these faults. This will probably cause your team to lose whatever you are trying to compete in. If your team is united under the common goal of winning, despite the small differences between the players, then your team will be strong and will have a chance at winning.
13. “We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.” Sirius Black ("Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix")

This quote kind of relates to Dumbledore's quote about our choices showing who we are more than our abilities. Everybody has the ability to either be a good person or a bad person, and it is their choices in life that cause them to be one or the other. Voldemort decided to make bad choices so he acted on the dark part inside him while Harry, on the other hand, made good choices so he acted on the good part inside him.

14. “Harry, suffering like this proves you are still a man! This pain is part of being human… the fact that you can feel pain like this is your greatest strength." Albus Dumbledore ("Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix")

Trials and suffering are a normal part of life. It’s these trials that shape us into the person that we are meant to be. Being able to feel pain, but also being able to get through the pain will help you to become stronger as a person. Suffering does not mean that you are weak; it just means that you are a normal human being who is going to grow as a person as a result of the trial.

15. "Age is foolish and forgetful when it underestimates youth." Albus Dumbledore ("Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince"

)

Many older people believe that the generations that come after them are going to screw up the world as they know it. They call them selfish and lazy, but in reality they are underestimating the positive impacts that the younger generations can have on the world. Many of the major heroes in "Harry Potter" are teenagers and they are basically the ones who save the world. For example, Hermione Granger is young but she is probably a better witch then many witches who are twice her age.

16. "We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." Albus Dumbledore ("Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince")

Pain and suffering should not cause someone to stop fighting for what they believe in. Those two things are a major part of life and people grow stronger as a result of them. If Harry had quit fighting for what was right the first time his lightning scar hurt him then Voldemort would have taken over the world and would have killed millions of innocent people.

17. "I don't think you're a waste of space." Dudley Dursley ("Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows")

I believe that this quote is very significant because it shows that even after all those years of bullying Harry Dudley actually cared about Harry and did not find him to be a waste of space in his house. He actually seemed to want Harry to go with him and his family to safety even though Harry said no. If you looked at their relationship throughout both the books and the movies you would assume that Dudley despised Harry, but in reality he did not.

18. "Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." Albus Dumbledore ("Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows")

What we place importance on in our lives reveals where our heart truly is. For example, if someone is focused on wealth and power then they have a greedy heart. Dumbledore is basically quoting Matthew 6:21 from the Bible which talks about storing treasures in Heaven instead of on Earth because the treasures stored on Earth will be destroyed by moths and rust or stolen by robbers. Treasure that is stored in Heaven, on the other hand, will last forever.

19. "Always" Severus Snape ("Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows")

Even though Voldemort has been defeated, and Harry, Ron and Hermione have left Hogwarts to start their careers and to start having families, the Harry Potter fandom is still here. We are still eagerly waiting for our Hogwarts letters that have yet to come as we look at our muggle schedules for our muggle schools. We got sorted on Pottermore because we wished to know what House we truly belonged in. We get excited for every Harry Potter weekend that ABC Family does, which is often.

We re-read the books, and re-watch the movies, feeling like each time we are reading the books and watching the movies for the first time. We will be the ones who have our copies of "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child" the weekend it comes out in our local bookstore because we pre-ordered the book months in advance, and we will be the ones seeing “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” during opening weekend. We do these things because we know that, no matter what, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome us home.