18 Things I Learned At 18

18 Things I Learned At 18

My Lessons Learned.

95
18 Things I Learned At 18
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/04/02/636582242411735177550621361_food-2589686_1920.jpg

I just turned 19. As I reflect on the past year, I realize how much I have grown and how much has changed. At 18, I went off to college. Living on my own for the first time and has allowed me to learn some valuable life lessons. Here are 18 things I learned when I was 18:

1. Everything happens for a reason

The college application process would have been a lot easier if I had kept this in mind.

2. Social media is deceiving

I don’t care what anyone says...freshman year is tough. All of your friends might look like they’re having a blast at college, but you need to remind yourself how easy it is to be deceived by Instagram posts.

3. Sometimes you need to de-stress

I have definitely learned that work will never stop. There will always be more to do. It is important to prioritize and tackle one thing at a time. However, it is even more important that you give yourself a break every now and then and do what you want to do.

4. It’s important to “stop and smell the roses”

There is nothing wrong with taking a nap during the day or watching an episode on Netflix before you start your homework. Enjoy the little things in life.

6. You don’t need to know your major right away

Don’t feel pressured to know exactly what it is that you want to do with the rest of your life.

6. Don’t pick a major just because it’s practical

I made this mistake by going into engineering for my first semester. I knew it wasn't for me, but I did it anyway.

7. Also, just because you like something doesn’t mean you have to study it

I like calligraphy, but it doesn’t mean I have to go to art school. It is important to realize you can have hobbies, and those hobbies don’t have to turn into your career.

8. “Adulting” can be harder than it seems

The first time I scheduled by own doctor’s appointment I really felt like an adult--and I honestly didn’t like it. This brings me to my next point...

9. No matter how old I get, I will always want my mom when I’m sick

I just will.

10. Grades matter...but not as much as I thought they did

When you interview for your first job, your GPA matters but not as much as your professional experience through internships.

11. Not everyone is going to like me--but I’m okay with that

Don’t try to please everyone. You do you.

12. Treat yo’ self sometimes

Don’t make yourself guilty for having a piece of cake or spending some extra money on a manicure. You deserve it.

13. Don’t feel bad about staying in on a Friday/Saturday night

It is okay to have some “me” time. In fact, it is important to have some “me” time every now and then.

14. My parents were right about some things

Sometimes I start to tell my friends things that they have told me.

15. It’s better to have a few good friends than 100 acquaintances

Choose quality over quantity.

16. Happiness can be a choice

Sometimes bad days are just a consequence of a bad frame of mind.

17. Exams in college are waaaay harder than in high school

I can no longer study the night before and expect an A. It takes some serious work.

18. After living in a dorm, home isn’t so bad after all

You learn to appreciate the comforts of your own bed and shower--no shower shoes necessary.