18 Things I Would Tell My 18 Year-Old Freshman Self

Laugh, cry, stay out late, eat ice cream every day and dance like no one's watching. You'll never be this young and carefree again.

99
pexels.com

So much occurs between Freshman and Senior year of college. Everyone grows and changes in so many ways, learning from past actions and figuring out who they really are.

For the majority of Seniors (myself included), we frequently think back to certain moments and events that we experienced as Freshmen, as well as analyze the type of people we were.

For some, this can bring about feelings of regret, humor, sadness, joy, etc. Each of us could definitely impart words of wisdom on our past selves, traveling back in time and informing ourselves of what we know now and what we wish we had done differently, but alas, that is not possible. Being 18 is hard. Being away from home for the first time is harder. We can only take everything that has happened within these four, formative years as lessons.

With that said, here are 18 things that I would tell my 18-year-old Freshman self:

1. First of all, I'm so proud of you

You have survived your first few months of college and have made so many new friends. I can't believe you were never homesick! I guess that showed UMaine was really the best fit. Cherish your freshman dorm room, it's honestly the nicest room you'll have during these 4 years haha, though that heating vent really does suck...

2. Go spend more time with your dorm-mates!

Don't be so shy! No one knows you here and it's time to start fresh. Everyone in this dorm is so welcoming and fun, go and introduce yourself! Go door-to-door even! Because you'll never have such a close-knit dorming situation ever again. Stop hesitating to socialize with the kids upstairs, they'd all make amazing friends. But hey, you did manage to create many friendships with a nice group of them that have lasted all throughout college, so nice job!

3. Don't be so regimented

Getting up 5 days a week at the crack of dawn to workout, really? You certainly didn't have to go so much and could've benefited from taking some days off.Sleep is nice, cherish it! Yummy food is also nice, eat that pizza, enjoy the ice cream bar at your favorite dining hall. You're only 18, you can eat those extra calories!

4. Change your major NOW, not next year!

Please, business is not your strong suit, but Political Science is! You can avoid a whole lot of course-catch up if you change now. Who knows, maybe you'd find an internship opportunity early rather than Junior year. However, do keep business as a minor.

5. Loosen up

It's freshman year! Go out and enjoy parties and all that comes with it! You have so much free time and will never have so little-homework again. Plus, UMaine throws some of the best parties, I don't know what you're so afraid of. So what if you're out late? Just sleep in and skip the gym...sheesh.

Trust me, that A on that test has long been forgotten, but that party you missed could've been remembered forever. And please, do not wear snow boots and a sweater to your first party...you will regret it while you're overheating on the dance floor.

6. Join more organizations now, not next year!

Though you're in two amazing groups now, do more research on all the clubs and organizations UMaine has to offer! Joining these particular organizations now rather than Sophomore year will be more beneficial in the end. You also will have more time to enjoy being a part of them.

7. Join Greek Life this year!

I know that you wanted to wait one year before joining a sorority, but looking back now, you'll wish you had been able to have been an active sister for all four years, giving you more time with your chapter. You had been so close to going through with it this year, but I guess it was just all too overwhelming at that moment. However, because you joined when you did, you got the most amazing Big sister and pledge class!

8. Study harder

I know economics and statistics make you want to yank your hair out, but trust me, that GPA will matter for years to follow. It can be easy to lose interest studying but focus on the benefits that will come if you actually buckle down and focus. And you have so many resources out there to help you if you fall behind.

9. Don't overthink and worry so much

Unfortunately, you still overthink and worry to this day, but maybe if you had just tried working through these issues early on, you might've become the outgoing person you always wanted to be. Social anxiety is common, but most of the problems that you're dealing with right now are just exaggerated fears.

Nothing is ever as bad as it seems, and if you don't take risks and go out on a limb once in a while, you will never know what could have been or how far you could go.

10. Thank goodness you wrote your resume so early

The campus Career Center is super helpful with editing resumes, and since you had this done so early, you will continue to perfect it every year. Resumes are one of the most important aspects of job searching. Without this assistance early on, you likely would have put off writing your resume until Junior year. So thank you for getting a head start on this so soon.

11. Save your money!

Yes, those cute clothes online are tempting, but did you really need to spend so much this year? Every penny saved counts, and you should really buy what you absolutely need. Yes, you'll get a great retail job this summer, but that doesn't mean you can squander your savings so fast. Because I'm telling you now, groceries and necessities are EXPENSIVE and you'll want a little extra cash for weekly social outings too.

12. Tell that boy who was interested in you that you were interested too

I know that the whole concept of dating is new and daunting for you, but this is your first year of college, where you very much should be dating and finding out what you like and don't like about guys. Why you were so hesitant with that one guy who always asked you to hang out, texted you every day/night, and pretty much made it clear he liked you, I just don't understand.

Maybe you were just scared that you were overthinking how much he actually liked you, and maybe you let the opinions others had about the whole situation get to you, but I'll tell you this; if you don't just suck it up and be honest with him about your feelings, you'll lose your chance with him for good. And you will regret it very, very much. You just needed to be straightforward with each other and communicate how you both felt, for who knows what would've happened then.

However, don't be too hard on yourself about it, because no one really knows what they want Freshman year. At least you'll always have some funny, sweet memories to look back upon.

13. Keep playing guitar

Don't go more than two days without playing your candy apple red, Fender Stratocaster. You were such a dedicated guitarist in high school, playing in the school rock band and all, don't just let that talent go to waste. Yes, college makes it harder to keep up with hobbies, but music is such an amazing outlet. Don't undo years of practice because you're too tired. But you can always brush up on it when you have free time, it's in your muscle memory.

14. Cut that toxic friend out of your life immediately

That girl you believe is still your friend is not. She manipulated and used you for many years, so why are you still in touch with her? Please let her go, understand what makes a true friend and what makes a toxic friend. Yes, it's hard, but it's what's best for you.

15. Don't be afraid to ask for what you want

College is not the place to be timid or hesitant. If you see an opportunity that will better you, in the long run, take it! Yes, you will hear many "no's," but you will also hear many "yes's." It's part of life, being able to deal with failures. But you won't know how far you can go if you don't open your mouth. Never again will you have so many opportunities within reach than you do right now. Take advantage of it!

16. Don't change yourself to "fit in"

Never stop wearing your favorite band tees and listening to metal. Don't throw away that Pink Floyd wall poster either. You are your own person and should never conform to blend in with everyone else. Over time your interests will definitely change, but don't drift so far from who you really are just to please those around you. Those who truly want to get to know you will do so no matter how you are. You would probably gag if you saw your wardrobe and room decor now, but don't worry, you still enjoy listening to your old favorites every so often and keep your band tees in your shirt drawer.

17. Keep a diary

There's no better outlet than the written word. Keeping a diary allows you to privately get out all of your thoughts from the day, and help you to remember so many things about yourself that you would've forgotten otherwise. You will look back on some entries and laugh at how silly you were, and wonder why you thought how you did. I wish you had started one Freshman year rather than Junior year, but better late than never!

18. Cherish each and every moment this year

Freshman year will fly by. You will change so much and become so independent. Yes, you'll hit rough patches but you will get through each and every one and be so much stronger in the end. Savor the moments where your best friends all live in walking distance from you, and how understanding professors are. Laugh, cry, stay out late, eat ice cream every day and dance like no one's watching, because remember, you'll never be this young and carefree again.