18 Things I Was Extremely Grateful To Learn By 18

Now is the time in your life when the world is yours.

837
Rachel Abriola

Leading up to my birthday, I realized that the 18th year of my life was coming to a close and that my next adventure would be 19. It will be my last year of being a teenager. As I enter the new, upcoming year of my life, it marks a new chapter of my adventure that I call life.

Looking back at the past year, I realized that the year of 18 has shaped me and taught me lessons that I'll carry along with me to the upcoming year.

1. Surround yourself with the people who make you happy.

It's so important to surround yourself with good people. Find people in your life who bring out the best in you. Find the people who make you happy, laugh and that you have a good time being around.

2. Take every opportunity and follow every dream.

Go to every concert, go out on a Thursday night every once in a while, live your life. Take every opportunity because no great story comes from never taking an opportunity. Follow your dreams, do what you want to do. My mother said to me once that you're going to have to wake up every day and go to work, so pick something that will make you so happy that you will love to wake up every day and do it. Follow every dream; you have the power to make it happen.

3. Enjoy your time with your family.

Savor every minute with your family. Make time for them, go home. Hang out with your siblings. Watch a movie with your mom. Call your grandparents. My family are the people that I love most in the world, so spend all of the time that you have with them. I lost my grandfather this year and it's been difficult, but one thing that gets me through it is our memories.

4. It's the little things that count.

It might be a movie night in the lounge with your best friends, it might be going out to dinner and seeing your friends from home, it might just be laying in bed after a long day. There are so many little moments in life that bring you pure joy, so enjoy those moments and hold on to them. It's the tiniest little things that mean the most.

5. Love yourself and love others.

Love yourself. I've learned that it's important to love myself regardless of the flaws that I have. I'm not perfect and I never will be, and that's OK. Love others, too, because everyone is dealing with something, so be there, listen and love them.

6. Everything happens for a reason.

In life, there will be so many things that happen to you. There will be the good, the bad and the ugly. Take it in stride. When it rains, it pours, but at the end of it, there will be a sunny day.

7. Don't worry until you have to worry.

Do not sweat the little things that barely matter. I always worry and think about everything and overanalyze it. I've tried to stop that and go with the flow. Don't sweat the little things.

8. Do what makes you feel happy.

It's so important to make yourself happy and if that means being a little selfish, that's OK. It's not bad to be a little selfish from time to time and think of yourself.

9. Life is short, so don't take it for granted.

We don't know how much time we have and we don't know how long we will be here for. So enjoy your time and live your life to the fullest.

10. It's important to treat yourself.

Treat yourself! I have learned that life can be stressful and while I can handle it, it's important to take a step back and treat yourself. So yes, buy yourself something cute, treat yourself to a spa day or just eat that cup of ice cream!

11. Be optimistic.

If you are optimistic, good things will come your way. If you are always negative and looking at the bad things, bad will come your way. Be optimistic, be positive.

12. If you fail the first time, try again.

I've had failure in my life, I'm not perfect and not everything goes my way. I have failed in different ways, whether it's school or just in different things in life. Failure is a part of life. Learn from your failures and get up and try again.

13. Eat whatever you want, when you want.

Eat the ice cream, enjoy the brownie, eat the carb-loaded pasta. Who cares? Life is short, eat what you want. I'm all for being healthy and trying to work out, but really, eat what you want. It's OK and the world won't end!

14. Make yourself laugh once a day.

Laughter is life's best gift. Make yourself laugh and make others laugh. Sometimes, life is too serious, so it's important to laugh.

15. Make real friends.

Make the friends who are there for you no matter what. Find people who are real, genuine and are in it for the long haul. Find the people who are there in life's rainy days and sunny days. Hold onto those people because they are what get you through life.

16. Stand up for what you believe.

It's important to stand up for yourself. Stand up for what you believe and stand up for yourself. Never let anyone make you feel inferior.

17. Be strong, be independent.

Show yourself that you can do it. Handle every up and down with grace and class. Show yourself that you can take care of yourself.

18. Enjoy every second of your life right now and make it count.

As my mother once told me, now is the time in your life where the world is yours; you don't have to worry about anything but yourself. Enjoy your time, enjoy your life, do what makes you happy and have no regrets.