18 Songs Perfect For The First Days Of Fall

COIN, Passion Pit, and The Royal Concept will be making their way into your playlists this autumn.

249
Diego Sullivan on Unsplash

The first days of fall are the best days of the season. The summer sun is still shining here and there, but a cool breeze makes leggings and a light sweater totally acceptable. The most important thing is that it's just warm enough to keep driving with your windows down. And to do that, you need a good playlist to rock out to. Here are 18 songs perfect for just that.

18. "I Don't Wanna Dance" - COIN

If you know me, you also know that listening to COIN is more or less my favorite daily activity. Their latest album is full of feel-good jams, but this just might be the greatest.

Best Line: "I don't wanna let you down / no no no no / But I don't wanna dance!"

17. "Best Friend" - Foster The People

Last Monday, Foster The People rocked Philadelphia on their promotional tour for their new album, Sacred Hearts Club. While it's full of great music, their sophomore album, Supermodel, has more music that can easily be deemed great for dancing. "Best Friend" is a great example of that.

Best Line: "When your best friend's all strung out / You'll do everything you can 'cause you're never gonna let it get 'em down."

16. "Go For It (Shallou Remix)" - CRUISR

CRUISR has been teasing new music for quite some time but in the meantime, we can still chill out with some classics by them. Opting for the Shallou remix over the original gives it a little something extra, and this is the greatest song to drive to.

Best Line: "Bali or Timbuktu / Marianas or the moon / I'll be waiting for you."

15. "I'm Perfect" - Passion Pit

Passion Pit's new album, Tremendous Sea of Love, can feel a little "out there" sometimes, but "I'm Perfect" is truly the perfect dance track for you and your friends to party to.

Best Line: "Thank you, and thank you again / You're brutal, you're honest, you're my very best friend."

14. "Roll Up" - Fitz and the Tantrums

My friend Lisa describes this song as "the feeling you have when you walk out of a final and you don't really care how you did but you're feeling good regardless." That pretty much sums it up.

Best Line: "I don't care, I don't care if I'm losing my way / I'll be waiting for you as the night fades away / So roll up."

13. "Killer Whales" - Smallpools

Smallpools is the indie-electronic dance band you never knew you needed until your first listen. If "Killer Whales" is the first Smallpools song you've ever heard, you're in for it.

Best Line: "I keep my chest locked tight till the minute you come around / How did you reach my soul?"

12. "Was It Me" - Colony House

That '60s rock feeling is somehow encapsulated by this indie rock quartet from Tennessee. After seeing them (and writing about it) earlier this year, this quickly became one of my favorite songs.

Best Line: If this won't fix our problem / At least we know we tried."

11. "Trojans" - Atlas Genius

For some reason, this song works for everything. From workouts to long drives, this song is the cure.

Best Line: Write a song, make a note / For the lump that sits inside your throat."

10. "Tonight You're Perfect" - New Politics

New Politics have never repeated the amount of success that followed the release of "Harlem" but if any song deserves it, it's "Tonight You're Perfect."

Best Line: "Tonight you're perfect / I wanna fall in love with the stars in your eyes."

9. "San Francisco" - The Mowgli's

I know people who literally dislike every song by this band except "San Francisco." I think it's impossible not to feel good about life when you're listening to this song.

Best Line: "I've been in love with love / And the idea of something binding us together / I think that love is strong enough."

8. "Tell Me Tell Me" - courtship.

courtship. is an L.A.-based synth-pop duo with the perfect feel good sound. "Tell Me Tell Me" encapsulates what they're about in the perfect fashion.

Best Line: "Tell me you'll be my baby / and tell me again

7. "Be Impressive" - The Griswolds

The Griswolds are cool. Like straight-outta-Australia, indie-pop, undeniably cool. Every time I see them in concert they get better, and this song never gets old.

Best Line: "I'm never strong on my own / but you and I, we belong / We are young and we are free."

6. "You're The One For Me" - Great Good Fine OK

Not only is Great Good Fine OK an amazing name for a band, but this song is just awesome. Good vibes all around.

Best Line: "Hit them with a little bit of crazy / Hit them with a little bit of love."

5. "Don't Take The Money" - Bleachers

Bleachers is important to me, and this song is lyrically some of Jack Antonoff's best work. At a show, everyone is jumping around and dancing to this song, screaming the words. And that's the sign of a feel-good song.

Best Line: "You steal the air out of my lungs / You make me feel it."

4. "Sun Shy" - Dresses

Dresses is definitely an underrated band, and they produce the perfect music for a fun night out. "Sun Shy" is an electro-pop take on living your best life when the sun goes down.

Best Line: "Why are your eyes still closed? Can't do much when we're sleepin'."

3. "Sunshine (The Knocks Remix)" - POWERS

This is the epitome of sunshine and good times. Also, POWERS deserves to be played at every darty you go to.

Best Line: "Good times are gonna come now, look 'round / Baby it's true."

2. "Texas" - Magic Man

Magic Man never fails lyrically or musically, which is rare for a band. My favorite line from this song, written below, always reminds me of a perfect fall night. Blast this at your next bonfire.

Best Line: "So cover my skin with your sunkissed light / There's a bonfire burning tonight / We could be alright."

1. "Gimme Twice" - The Royal Concept

The ULTIMATE feel good song. No questions asked. The opening chord progression alone always makes me smile.

Best Line: "Say it, come and say it out loud / So they all can hear / I'm the one for you."

Here's to hoping your autumn playlsit just got that much better.