18 Quotes for 2018

18 Quotes for 2018

Some Inspiration for the new year!

87
18 Quotes for 2018

2018.

Two thousand and eighteen.

Twenty eighteen.

Can you believe it?

Another year has come and gone, and while many people absolutely despised 2017, I actually thoroughly enjoyed it. Of course, it was a very scary year in terms of news' headlines, and I would never discredit any of that. However, I think because of the glum news and overall negative aura that seeps its way into our lives, everyone is quite frankly sick of the negativity and sad news. From many tweets, Instagram captions, blog posts, etc., I have gathered that the "mood" for 2018 is overall highly positive.

I have also seen an abundance of people mention self-care and self-love, and this is extremely important as well. There is so much self-deprecating humor used nowadays, and while that is fine as a type of coping mechanism, it can be damaging to how your mind thinks. For example, if you're constantly calling yourself "trash," or "garbage," or anything along those lines, you may begin to actually feel that way about yourself, even if it's simply joking. I've experienced this first hand. I used to focus on all of the traits I did not like about myself and call myself out on it, rather than think about and recite the ones I did like. But, my mind convinced that there were, in fact, nothing to like about myself in the first place. This past year, I made it a goal to beat that "voice in my head." While it is still a struggle, I have improved significantly. It certainly takes time to "train" the voice, and not everything you hear will always be positive, but it helps to try, even if it's just a little bit each day.

I was extremely delighted to come to the conclusion that a multitude of people were on board to make 2018 the year of improvements. Everything is easier when its a group effort. We can all keep each other on track. While I am a writer, words resonate with me greatly. So, to better explain my "moods" throughout 2018, I collected a couple quotes from Pinterest that I enjoyed to share with all of you:

1. "Never be afraid to try something new because life gets boring when you stay within the limits of what you already know." -Anonymous

This quote hit me particularly hard, mostly because I am famous for staying within the limits of my comfort zone. I want to make this quote a virtue for myself this year because it's so important to try new things and expand your horizons.

2. "My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style." -Maya Angelou

It is no surprise to me that this quote was from Maya Angelou; she was a fantastic writer and poet. Her childhood contained many trials and tribulations, but nonetheless, prevailed and became known as one of the best poets and writers of all time. This quote is nothing short of inspirational.

3. "The moment you realize your worth...things begin to change." -R.M. Drake

If you have never read anything by or heard of R.M. Drake before, I highly recommend reading any of his books for some inspiration. He has a way with words that just make perfect sense. This quote is a reminder that you're always and have always been worth it. Once you realize how talented, remarkable, and extraordinary you truly are, you become unstoppable.

4. "Forever is composed of nows." -Emily Dickinson

I have absolutely adored this quote for awhile now. It is a reminder that every moment is fleeting. Even forever that seems like it would last a lifetime is composed of right nows. Seize the moment.

5. "If you can't do anything about it, then let it go. Don't be a prisoner to things you can't change." -Tony Gaskins

This quote is so important. In 2017, I learned that there will be people, things that were said, and situations that you cannot change, no matter how hard you try. It's better to just accept that the past is the past, and it's better to just keep moving forward from there.

6. "Sweetheart, marry your goals, remain committed to success, be loyal to your dreams, it's okay to choose yourself." -R.H. Sin

The word choice of 'sweetheart' can be a bit derogatory, I suppose, but overall, this quote speaks volumes. It's a reminder to never lose sight of your goals, remain committed to them, and it's okay to be selfish sometimes. It's normal and okay to want the best for yourself.

7. "Comparison is the thief of joy." -Anonymous

Wow. For almost my entire life, I have compared myself and my experiences to other people. It is so, so, so important to remember not to compare yourself to others. Everybody experiences life differently. Nobody is the same. It's okay to react differently to situations than others. It's okay to be uncomfortable when others are not. Your feelings are valid.

8. "If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." -Vincent Van Gogh

The word "paint," is interchangeable in this context. If your head is telling you that you can't do or accomplish something, then go out and do it. Prove the voice in your head wrong. It never hurts to try anything new, you don't have to be the best at it. All that matters is that you tried it and you're enjoying yourself.

9. "The simple things are also the most extraordinary things, and only the wise can see them." -The Alchemist

10. "I know this transformation is painful, but you're not falling apart; you're just falling into something different, with a new capacity to be beautiful." -William C. Hannan

11. "You should do what you said you were going to do that one time before you got all tired and then got super busy and pretty much forgot." -Anonymous

I love this quote because it's super honest. We all get caught up in life that we forget what we wanted to accomplish, but never lose sight of it. It doesn't matter when you do it, as long as you do it at some point.

12. "I think you've really got to wait and see how things play out. Sometimes a decision you might consider a regret or failure in the present can turn out to be the catalyst for something extraordinary in the end. Some of life's wildest journeys begin with a wrong turn." -Beau Taplin

13. "Do not chase another human being. Instead, chase your curiosity. Chase your development and your goals. Chase your passion. Strive to work for something bigger than yourself, and instead of trying to convince someone that you fit within their world--build your own." -Anonymous

14. "How you make others feel about themselves says a lot about you." -Anonymous

15. "At some point, you've got to realize that some things aren't meant to work out, that some people aren't meant to be yours, and that some wounds take more than lifetime to heal." -R.M. Drake

Another R.M. Drake quote, just because I think he's brilliant.

16. "It doesn't matter how good you're doing, those sad nights will creep up on you from time to time and that's okay. Doesn't mean all your progress is gone." -taken from Tumblr

17. "Your standards should be high for both your friendships and romantic relationships. Everyone you surround yourself with should have qualities you actually admire." -taken from Tumblr

People tend to forget how important the people you surround yourself with that you claim as friends are. Who you surround yourself contributes to your well being just as much as a relationship might. Also, strong friendships are more relevant than relationships.

18. "Never accept anything less than you deserve. Remember, you teach people how to treat you." -Anonymous

I hope you enjoyed these eighteen quotes for 2018, and truly took them to heart. Here's to a positive, healthy, and safe 2018! I hope you all have the best year yet :)