The 18 Most Important Lessons I've Learned At 18

Just by doing #5 you will see a difference in how you feel throughout your daily life.​

105
Tarah Elise Photography

18 years is a long time in my book considering that's how long I've been alive. I've had my good moments and my bad moments; mistakes were made, and lessons were learned. Especially in the last couple years, I've been figuring things out more and more every day. I've grown as a person and discovered my strengths, weaknesses, likes, dislikes, and how to handle tough decisions. Life has thrown me a lot of curveballs, but I've come out of every hardship a little bit stronger and a little bit wiser. I've still got a long way to go, but I came up with this list of the 18 most valuable lessons I've learned so far in my 18 years of life.

1. Never change yourself to fit someone else's standards.

One of the most important lessons I've learned so far in life is that I am who I am and nobody's opinion should change that. I grew up without using the internet a lot and watched it grow to consume my life. I know the media exploits people and paints a tainted picture of beauty, happiness, and the ideal life. I regularly catch myself comparing my body, belongings, and self-image to others, and that's a dangerous road. I just wish I could've learned sooner that your Instagram feed or number of retweets don't define you...you define you.

2. Don't have so much anxiety about the future.

I miss the old childhood days where I didn't have a care in the world. Now growing into an adult, it seems like every decision I make will have a lasting impact on my future. I feel like I'm always worried about how much I have to get done and I spend too much time planning. I'm learning that sometimes, no matter what you do, you can't control the future. You just have to let go and trust God to make everything okay for you.

3. Don't have so much anxiety about the present.

Going along with that, I've noticed everyone is always worried about the present as well as the future. Everyone's so anxious to get things done quickly and efficiently. It feels like there isn't enough time in the day. But we all need to remember to take a break here and there and just breathe.

4. Don't feed off of other people's energy; create your own.

This is an interesting lesson I've just recently learned. Of course, everyone has good days along with some bad days too, but I often found myself getting dragged into other people's bad days with them. I relied too much on other people being perky and positive, and then I would reciprocate. That's all fine and dandy unless you're surrounding yourself with the wrong crowd or your friends have a bad day. So instead, I try to remind myself to radiate energy and positivity, not suck it out of others. Waking up every morning and telling yourself it's going to be a great day will start you off on the right foot, and you might be able to change the moods of everyone around you with a bright smile.

5. Don't take things too seriously.

Anxiety has crept into the everyday lives of almost everyone I know in some way, shape, or form. We're all so focused on what could go wrong and always remind ourselves of the consequences. Before doing anything we ask ourselves if this is a good idea or if it will make our lives better, but who cares? I know you can't just live life recklessly, but for goodness sake go for a bike ride instead or doing your homework or skip the salad and grab a cupcake every once in a while. We could all use a little more delight in our lives.

6. Do what makes you happy.

Sing in the car, wear crazy socks, paint your nails, bake some cookies, play with your dog, read your favorite book...do what makes you happy. Ask yourself what little things can always bring you joy in life and do them. As much as you can.

7. Eat healthy foods.

If you want to eat 3 cheeseburgers a day, go for it. Don't let me tell you how to live your life. But, I have noticed that my body responds much better to leafy greens and vegetables than pounds of pasta and sweets. This life lesson doesn't involve dieting or a strict meal plan, I just came to appreciate the way my body feels when I give it something healthy, so I try to pick options that taste good and are good for me.

8. Buy cute, comfy shoes.

Walking 30 feet from my car to my high school and then staying inside all day meant I didn't need comfortable and reliable shoes. I just bought cheap knockoffs and they worked. But coming to college and having to walk to every class through rain, snow, and mud across campus made me rethink my shoe decisions. Don't give up style for comfort though, I promise you'll be able to find adorable sneakers, boots, or sandals that don't give you blisters that will also get you through whatever weather is thrown your way. It's a small lesson, but one to keep in the back of your mind.

9. Elderly people can make your day.

This one isn't really a life lesson as much as it is a friendly reminder. Elderly people are so sweet and can be such characters if you give them the chance. They can tell you so many interesting stories about whatever you want to hear about, plus they'll enjoy every second of it. The way they smile when they're talking about a sentimental memory is enough to brighten anyone's day. Even seeing an older couple holding hands out in public will never fail to make me smile. Appreciate them and go out of your way to show them you're not just another "teenage delinquent."

10. Watch your favorite childhood movies.

You'd be so surprised at how many memories will come flooding back when you watch one of your old favorite movies. Even if you've completely forgotten about a movie existing, dig through your old DVDs (or VHS) or browse the internet to find old Disney Chanel Original movies and you'll immediately be transported back to your childhood days. It will make you nostalgic but you'll even pick up on some new jokes or plot lines that you might have never noticed when you were younger.

11. Hug your friends and family every chance you get.

Hug your parents. Hug your best friend. Hug your uncle. Tomorrow is never a given, so make sure you tell everyone important in your life just how much you love them. Thank them for standing by you through thick and thin and for supporting you no matter what. Never let things go unsaid, and overuse the phrase, "I love you." Don't say it if you don't mean it, but if you have a relationship that is strong enough, don't you dare ever let them forget it.

12. Listen more than you talk.

This lesson stands out for me not because I have an extremely hard time with it, just because I've noticed so many other people not utilizing their empathy skills. You've probably heard the saying "listen to understand, not to reply." Those words hold so much truth to them. Don't turn every conversation into a two-sided, story-telling one if someone needs your ears. Be someone's rock and support, listen to their stories, and hear out their farfetched ideas. Even beyond that, don't wait until someone is about to break down before you ask if they're okay. Make it a habit to start asking people how their day is going and genuinely concern yourself with their response.

13. Make eye contact.

Probably one of my least favorite things to do, but oh boy does it matter. Nowadays, instant messaging and communication ruled by technology is the norm. Face-to-face contact sometimes doesn't exist with relationships, so when they occasionally happen it can awkwardly throw you for a loop. Sometimes it can be tough to keep eye contact with someone, but forcing yourself to do it more often will pay off for you in the long run, and you won't regret it. Having such a simple skill nowadays is rare and it will set you apart from others.

14. Don't depend on technology.

It's the 21st century and technology is everywhere. It's crazy to look back on my childhood and remember all the playing outside or arts and crafts that I did. I lived without internet, wifi, and an iPad, and had an incredibly fun and exciting childhood. Now it seems like my entire day revolves around technology and I can't go 15 minutes without encountering it somehow. I've learned that every once and a while, a break is good. Put the phone down, go outside, and read for fun. Make memories with your friends without snap chatting ten videos to everyone you know. Hand write a letter to one of your relatives or go for a drive on a beautiful day. Experience life without a screen.

15. Protect your body.

Obviously, as a kid, I was as carefree as I wanted to be and only did things that were good for me when my mom told me to. Now I'm learning and realizing how many things can harm my body. I learned that my body was precious and I should do everything I can to protect it. Wear sunscreen, moisturize, save yourself for the one you love, drink herbal tea, eat leafy greens, and take your vitamins. You've only got one shot at this life and you want to prolong and protect it as much as you can.

16. Set goals every day.

An excellent way to take care of yourself is to set daily goals. Whether it's to get at least ten hours of sleep, drink one hundred ounces of water, wake up early to do yoga, cook one meal a day, or take your dog for a walk. Do whatever you can to benefit your mind or body.

17. There's two things you don't mess with: political and religious views.

Some people nowadays are so ignorant and will do or say anything just to get a rise out of people. I'm all for sharing your ideas and open discussions, but harassment and bullying are things no one should tolerate. You're entitled to your own opinion, but when it comes to someone's morals, leave it alone. Religion and political affiliation are a choice and a lifestyle that you have no right to attack people for. Don't even try making claims about another person's beliefs if you haven't walked in their shoes and seen things from their point of view.

18. Appreciate how blessed you are.

I've lived 18 years longer than some people ever got the chance to live and I'm healthy and happy. That in itself is something I should be grateful for. When life is in full swing and it seems like we're constantly rushing from one place to another, we often forget how blessed we truly are. We overlook the immensity of our personal belongings and the love and support from friends and family. We continually strive for bigger and better and get upset when things don't work out the way we planned. This lesson is just a reminder to stop straight in your tracks, look around, and remember that you are so incredibly blessed. Thank the people who helped to get you there and give back to those less fortunate than you.