17 Things I'm Thankful For In 2017

17 Things I'm Thankful For In 2017

Take a step back and count your blessings.

370
17 Things I'm Thankful For In 2017
Sara-Ann Tonyan

This last year has been a roller-coaster ride for me with plenty of ups and downs, but I wouldn't change any of it. As Thanksgiving approaches, I thought it would be a good time to look back and reflect on all the blessing I have in my life. So, here are 17 things I'm thankful for this year.

1. High School Friends

During the last few months of high school, I heavily relied on my friends. They were always there for me and supported me when I needed it. I'm so grateful for all the amazing memories that will stay with me forever; all the cross country and track meets, every marching band and winter guard performance, prom dress shopping, ice cream dates, and so many more. I miss them like crazy, but I'm thankful that they came in my life and for all the memories we made.

2. College Friends

Being away from home for the first time and dealing with a new place and new schedule is a real challenge, but thankfully I've met some incredible people to help me through it all. I don't know what I would have done this first semester without them. One of my biggest fears about leaving my small town with friends I've known my entire life was being alone, but I found an amazing group of friends here and I am so thankful for them.

3. My Mom

She always puts me and my brothers before herself. She is the most selfless, outspoken, brave, and strong woman I know. My mom supports and loves me in everything I do, and I pray one day I can be half the mom she is. I never tell her enough how much I love her and how thankful I am to have her.

4. My Brothers

I won't ever tell this to them in person, but I'm really thankful to have my two brothers in my life. I can't imagine growing up or going through this past year without them. They can be a pain most of the time, but I know that no matter what happens the three of us will always have each other.

5. Meal Plan

While I do miss cooking and making my own meals, I really appreciate always having access to food with my on-campus meal plan. I never have to worry about going hungry, which isn't something everyone can say. I'm extremely thankful that while I do worry about a lot of things, food is not one of them.

6. Air Conditioning

You don't appreciate what you have until its gone. I lived in the hot and humid rain-forest for four weeks without any A.C., and that experience really makes you grateful for the wondrous technology that we take for granted here. Air conditioning is a true blessing.

7. Traveling

I took a leap of faith and went on a trip to Ecuador this past summer, and it changed my life. I'm so thankful for the opportunity to see more of the world. I know so many people who have never traveled in their lives, and I was lucky enough to travel to a different country at eighteen. I will always be thankful for that.

8. Marching Band

In high school, marching band was a huge part of my life and I loved every minute of it. It was incredible to be a part of something so unique and wonderful, and I am so thankful for that experience and what it taught me. Now I march at Ball State University on the color guard here and that is another blessing in itself. College marching band is very different than high school, but the sport and my love for it remains, and I'm so grateful I get to keep doing what I love.

9. My Boyfriend

As wonderful 2017 has been, it wasn't the easiest year for me. But, thankful, I had my boyfriend by my side the whole time. He is always there for me when I need him, supports me in everything I do, loves me even with all of my flaws, and constantly reminds me everyday that even when bad things happen that love always win. He really is a blessing in my life, and I'm so thankful to have him.

10. Winter Guard

As a freshman in high school, I fell in love with a sport that most people don't know about, and that passion carried me through four years. Everyone I met through guard is amazing, supportive, and incredibly talented. I will never forget my amazing team and coaches. We always pushed ourselves and each other to improve with every practice and give every performance our all. It was hard work and stressful sometimes, but I am so beyond thankful to been able to spin with them for four years.

11. Clean Water

Here in the U.S., many of us are so used to public water fountains, free access to public restrooms, and clean, running water. But in other parts of the world, water fountains don't exist because drinking the water makes you sick, you have to pay to use public restrooms, and many people don't have access to clean, safe water. Water is a necessity to life and I'm thankful that I have access to it, because it is a blessing so many people don't have.

12. All Four Seasons

People complain a lot, myself included, about the crazy and unpredictable weather we have in the Midwest. However, I still am grateful that we have every season throughout the year. Sunshine and heat in summer, colorful leaves and sweater weather in fall, playing in the snow in winter, and watching everything bloom again in the spring. Sometimes it feels like we get all four seasons in the same week, but I'm still thankful that I live somewhere that gets the best of all the seasons.

13. My Family

I know I've already mentioned my mom and brothers, but here is to the rest of my family. Family is extremely important to me and I am so thankful to have them in my life. They've all helped to shape the person I am today, and even though they aren't perfect, I don't know what I would do without them.

14. Hot Chocolate

There is no drink that I love more than hot chocolate. It truly is a gift from above and there is never a bad time to drink it. It is perfect all the time, 365 days a year, and no one can tell me otherwise. I am just super grateful for this beautiful beverage.

15. Past/Current Teachers

Learning has been a passion of mine, and my teachers helped push me to explore and learn more about everything. Now, I've had my fair share of not-so-good teachers, but I'm still grateful for the good ones who are passionate about their jobs and pass that passion onto their students.

16. My Hammock

The best purchase I ever made was a hammock from Ecuador. I love it and I use it all the time. When the weather is warm, hammocking outside is my little get away from everyday stress. Now that fall is coming to an end however, I have my hammock hanging in my room so I can lay down and relax whenever I want to, which is all the time because I'm a stressed college student.

17. My Education

Being able to read and write and have access to an education is something I am more thankful for than anything else. It is a blessing that over 700 million illiterate adults around the world don't have. Too people don't realize that and take it for granted. After writing this article, it is only right to step back and be thankful for my education and the ability to do something I love.