17 Facts About St. Patrick And His Holiday

It's not just about drinking and wearing green.

168

Since Chicago is known for their incredible St. Patrick's Day festivities I thought it'd be appropriate to give a quick, fun fact lesson about the holiday. Shouldn't we know why our city dyes it's river green anyways? Since it falls on the 17th day of March, here is a list of 17 facts about St. Patrick himself, and the holiday.

1. St. Patrick was born in Britain, not Ireland

St. Patrick was born in Britain 387 AD during the time the Roman Empire had reign over this region. He was also born into a family of priests.

2. St. Patrick was actually kidnapped by Irishmen

At the age of 14 or 16 (history tends to disagree in the age) St. Patrick was kidnapped and forced to tend sheep in Ireland near the countryside for almost 6-7 years until he escaped back to Britain.

3. Christianity was not the religion of Ireland, they were actually Pagans.

Pagans were people who held religious beliefs of polytheism meaning they believed in multiple gods; which many of the religions throughout the Roman Empire held. St. Patrick was raised Christian, so when he was in Ireland tending sheep he was the only Christian there. Often times he found himself praying to God, and eventually received a dream (which he believed God sent to him) and found himself escaping Ireland and going back to Britain.

4. St. Patrick decided to become a priest after escaping Ireland.

While in Britain, St. Patrick studied for many years to become a priest and eventually made the role of Bishop. After his studies, St. Patrick decided to return to Ireland and evangelize.

5. St. Patrick taught in Ireland for 40 years eventually converting the country to Christianity

It is said that at this time many miracles came about in Ireland. In fact, some believe that due to St. Patrick he was able to drive all of the snakes out of Ireland; however, it is believed that post-glacier Ireland never had any snakes, to begin with.

6. Legend says the Shamrock is supposed to symbolize the Holy Trinity

Usually, the shamrock has 3 leaves attached to it, one for the father, one for the son, and one for the holy spirit.

7. St. Patrick didn't wear green, he wore blue

Traditionally, St. Patrick's day was celebrated wearing blue, not green for St. Patrick always wore blue as his vestments. If you look at ancient Irish flags, you will see the color blue.

8. St. Patrick's day started using green as the holiday's color in 1798

At this time, Ireland was in the middle of a rebellion. During this time, the clover became the symbol of nationalism and the color green then took over.

9. St. Patrick's day started to become celebrated in the U.S. in 1737

During this time was when America started to see a rise in Irish immigrants. In fact, over 34 million Irish immigrants came at this time. Thus bringing the holiday tradition with them.

10. St. Patrick died on March 17th 461 AD

Hence, why March 17th is the day St. Patrick's day is celebrated and where it got its name.

11. The holiday is traditionally a feast day

On this day Christians, or Catholics to be more specific, are allowed to set aside their lent restrictions on food and alcohol consumption. This is why drinking heavily is associated with this holiday.

12. You can see St. Patrick's tooth and jaw at the Dublin Museum

They're in a box, but it's cool.

13. During the Seige of Boston, "St. Patrick" was a code word

March 17, 1776, is known as Evacuation day where general Washington issued an order that those wanting to pass through continental line should reply "St. Patrick" after given the password "Boston".

14. No one really has checked to see where St. Patrick was buried

It has never been confirmed, but it is believed that he lies in a little town known as Downpatrick.

15. 100 lbs of dye was dumped in the Chicago River in 1961

This was the year the dyeing of the river became a tradition in Chicago for this holiday and it was all thanks to Stephen Bailey, a business manager who got permission to dye the river green. Today, we use 25-50 pounds of green vegetable dye.

16. The White House also dyes its fountain green

This started in 2009 thanks to Michelle Obama who is a native to Chicago and wanted to have a little home at her new home.

17. New York started the tradition for the St. Patrick's Parade - not the Irish

In 1737, Boston held the first St. Patricks day parade and later in 1762 New York City had it's first St. Patricks day parade. And we all know New York is well known for their many parades throughout the year.

Though those who are not Irish take this as an excuse to binge drink, St. Patrick's day is a day to celebrate one's Irish heritage and to remember the Saint who brought Christianity to the nation. So my fellow irish family and those who want to be irish for a day, go grab that geuiness and drink up with a better understanding as to why we drink on this day.