16 Things I Wish I Would've Known As A High School Senior

Procrastination does not solve your problems.

4
Molly Sanders

So it’s your final year of high school. Last time as a cheerleader, football player, band member, etc. You’ve been looking forward to this your whole life. Whether you absolutely hated high school, or absolutely loved it, soon you will be graduating and moving on to the next chapter in life. The best is yet to come, and I can only hope that you embrace your future with your whole being.

1. It's OK to be yourself.

There is no use in being someone else, because you won’t make genuine, lasting friendships with your peers. Stop paying attention to what others think of you. Be unapologetically weird, unique, crazy, you.

2. Don’t zone out in class.

I can’t tell you how many times I zoned out and did not pay attention in my senior year classes. Pay attention in class. You will learn life lessons and make your final memories with the students in your class.

3. Apply for college early.

Not going to lie, I submitted college applications at 11:00 p.m. on Dec. 29. Not my best idea. Get applications in early, and enjoy not having the stress that comes with procrastination.

4. Don't procrastinate.

“But I work better whenever I complete a project/essay at the last minute.” No, you don’t. I can promise you that if we look back at your work, the highest-quality work is created well before the deadline.

5. Apply for as many scholarships as possible.

No matter how big the scholarship is, apply. I cannot stress this enough. Every single penny counts, and all of those scholarships will add up in the long run.

6. Go to the school activities.

The football games, band concerts, etc. are all worth your time and energy. So many great memories will be made, and this will be your last time at these events.

7. Don’t try to be friends with everyone.

It’s honestly not worth it. Surround yourself with people who make you a better person and enrich your life. You don’t want to spend your last year of high school with fake friends by your side.

8. Be nice to people.

Being nice will get you way further in life than being mean and rude. Throughout the year, you will need to ask teachers and community members to write recommendation letters for you and a character assessment is usually part of that. You’ll get a better recommendation if you are a nice, happy person with a good heart.

9. Take pictures.

You most likely will not see any of your classmates ever again, so take pictures so that you can look back on all of the memories you shared together.

10. Where you end up going to college doesn’t matter.

This one is an important one. Some of your friends will end up at junior colleges, some will end up halfway across the United States; however, it does not matter where you go to college. What matters is your own personal experience that you have. You could fit in more at a small college than at an Ivy League, or vice versa. It all depends on what you make of it.

11. It’s OK to not attend college.

If being in the workforce works out better for you, or if you decide to wait to attend college then go do that. No one will have the same story, and where your destiny lies all depends on where you feel you fit in.

12. Don’t rush adulthood.

I know that being an adult seems like an exciting thought, but believe me when I tell you not to rush it. Making decisions for yourself can be very daunting at times. Be a kid while you can.

13. Cherish family time.

In a few short months, you won’t be able to come homes every night to a home-cooked meal and talk about your day with your family. Spend time with your siblings. Hug your parents. Make an effort to retain a stable relationship with them.

14. Stop posting all of your life on social media.

We get it, you ate a bagel for breakfast. Life is about so much more than social media. You do not need to post about your experiences just to validate them. Spend some time without your phone constantly in your hand, it’s refreshing for the soul.

15. Appreciate yourself.

Sometimes you need to take time to pamper yourself and be alone. That’s OK. Your overall mental, physical, emotional health is way more important than making a perfect score on that math test.

16. Overall, have fun.

It’s your last year. Make sure to take time to have fun, but also remember that good grades are always great when applying for college and scholarships. Memories made in high school are ones that you will cherish for the rest of your life.