16 Things That Need To Stay In 2016

16 Things That Need To Stay In 2016

Sorry, you aren't welcome in 2017.

9
16 Things That Need To Stay In 2016
Party city

Here's to the new year, and probably same you. Here's to new beginnings, and new things to blast our social media. It’s no joke that that 2016 wasn’t a great year on any level. It was in fact so bad that people actually were getting a little feisty about the year on social media. However, as excited we all are about Venmo and the Snapchat face filters following us into the new year, it’s safe to say that there are a couple things that are better left in the hands of our friend 2016.

1. Rain Drop, Drop Top

This just started, and let me just say, it's unnecessary. This has basically become the equivalent of #YOLO, people just add to their social media post without any purpose.

2. White lives vs. black lives / people's skin vs. people's skin

Let’s be real, it's 2016 and it shouldn’t be about the color of skin that someone has. It’s not black people’s year, last year wasn’t the year of whites. It was just a sucky year for all of us. As long as people keep pinpointing race against race, racism from both sides will exist. Its 2017, its time for the human population to grow up.

3. The mannequin challenge

This is just another social media fad that serves no purpose. As amusing as the videos were, it’s just another thing that shouldn’t exist in the new year.

4. Harambe

The mourning of a gorilla really can go to rest. Why this gorilla was so much more special than all the other animals killed in 2016 is beyond me, but I think it’s safe to say that it’s time to put Harambe to rest for good.

5. Netflix and chill

A grand old gesture from teenage and college boys alike that took a rising in 2015 and carried its way to 2016. As much as the idea of watching Netflix in bed for countless hours really is pleasing, it’s the whole expectation of “chill” that bothers me. There are classier ways to get a girl to cuddle with you. The idea of Netflix and chill can stay, but the saying can leave.

6. Body shaming

I don’t care who you are or who you are talking about, let’s all just get this straight. It’s not any of your business what someone looks like, is it really bothering you? Nope. No effect on you. It’s not OK to make fun of or tease anyone about their body. If you do it, it’s probably happening to you, and how does that feel?

7. Not accepting your own body

Men and women both struggle with this, and it’s something everyone needs to take a cold hard look at. There are things we cannot change, but you can change how you choose to feel about it. Open a bottle of wine, eat a salad, and let's just all be happy in 2017.

8. Chokers

This is a fad could have died in 2003, and whoever brought them back needs to take a solid look at how they are presented. You basically are choking yourself to make a statement, then you get all of these long ropes attached, and it’s a dangerous hazard. They also awkwardly cut your neck in half, so unless you have a naturally long neck, it makes you look way shorter.

9. Taking L's

This phrase is commonly used when you drink too much and do something stupid. I get it. No one should be taking L's, because everyone should be winning in 2017.

10. He's not my president

Actually, Donald Trump is your president. As long as you are a US citizen, he’s all yours. Do America a favor and give the guy a chance.

11. Any whining about how Baylor beat Boise State

It happened in 2016 and it should stay there. If I see one more tweet about how terrible that is, I will scream, especially if it starts with rain drop, drop top. It happened, so let’s all just move on.

12. Instagram stories

If I was the inventor of snap chat, I’d be a little upset. Not only is this a total rip off of Snapchats' stories, but its beyond repetitive. I get it, you are eating at a restaurant, I don’t need to see it on both Instagram and Snapchat. When you are double posting, you are making people choice which to follow you on: Instagram or Snapchat.

13. Feminism vs. expecting guys to pay for things

You call yourself a feminist but you don’t want to pay for your own Taco Bell…. OK? Here's the thing, right now the feminist movement is really pushing equal pay for women. If you expect to be paid as much as men, you can expect to pay as much as them. Take a note from Smashly Ashley and her raps: get your own insurance, don't depend on men, and fill your own tank. Buy yourself some flowers because boyfriend isn’t a synonym for bank. **Side note: A guy should choose to pay for you, not be expected to. I would gladly accept flowers.

14. Taylor Swift

I hate to say this, but I think we are all over her. Her music has become way too Meghan Trainer and not in a good way. You can only listen to a girl complain about a breakup so many times before it starts to become background noise.

15. Reality TV

Really, no one cares about Keeping Up With the Kardashians anymore. Ever since the world got the blasting news about most reality tv being fake, it just didn’t sit well anymore. Also, no one really knows who these people are, aside from the famous Kardashians. I could not name one Real Housewife…why are they even famous again?? Give me more Grey's and less Real Housewives.

16. Vaping

You aren’t any cooler by putting water vapor tobacco inside of you. I guarantee that the smart doctors of 2017 are going to discover that it isn’t any better for you. It’s also extremely annoying. The smell is awful and you trying to do cool tricks with the smoke is not helping your popularity status. Do us and your lungs a favor. Drop the vape.