16 Things I Miss From My Childhood

16 Things I Miss From My Childhood

Hold onto your inner child forever. You will not regret it.

1722
16 Things I Miss From My Childhood
Turn Back To God

As you grow older, you are expected to change, mature and stop being a child, but why would anyone want that? My childhood was not perfect, but it was mine. There are so many things that I wish were acceptable for adults to enjoy, but society sucks. Society believes that once you turn 18, all of your pent up childhood awesomeness will cease to exist. But to its dismay, I will continue loving these things until I die. I will forever be a child at heart.

1. Board games

Sitting in the living room floor playing Sorry, Hungry Hungry Hippos, or maybe even Perfection was the highlight of my day. Nothing will ever erase all the memories made while playing some of the wonderful classic games. To be honest, I still play board games with my family. It has even become a tradition with my friends. Board games will live on forever.

2. Animated Movies

Don't get me wrong, adult movies are great. Everyone love some machine guns, blood and guts, or a good ole mushy rom-com, but animated movies are where it is at. Finding Nemo, Open Season, and All Dogs Go To Heaven will continue to be the best. I am 19 years old, and I would still much rather see an animated movie over any other (P.S.: If you have not seen Home yet, you should. Best. Movie. Ever.).

3. Nickelodeon

After school was done or the weekend begun, I would sit on the couch and turn on the TV to Rugrats, Hey Arnold!, and Spongebob Squarepants. Not going to lie, but these shows still rock and if they happen to be on TV, all homework is put on pause until the throwback shows were over. I still catch myself quoting Spongebob on occasion. "Are you feeling it Mr. Krabs?"

4. Disney Channel

As I laid in bed before the sleep timer on my TV would go off, I would indulge in Phil of the Future, That's So Raven, Recess, or Kim Possible. Disney shows are a little sad now. Maybe they should bring back the Suite Life of Zach and Cody (not Suite Life on Deck). It sure would make us happy. It wouldn't hurt to bring back some of the Disney original movies too. Everyone loved Halloweentown and Zenon: 21st Century Girl.

5. Cartoon Network

Same things goes for Cartoon Network as Nickelodeon. Bring back the shows. We miss the classic episodes of Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Laboratory, and Ed, Edd, and Eddy.

6. Dollar Store Toys

Cheap toys were something I didn't truly appreciate as a kid. All of the bouncy balls, slinkies, Play-doh, and sticky hand were neglected as a child. Now, I appreciate them and they never fail to put a smile on my face. I am 19 years old and was on cloud nine when my parents sent me a wonderful de-stress pack full of bouncy balls, slinkies, and even a hacky sack. Cheap entertainment is the best.

7. Naps

As kids, we hated naps. Now as an adult, I wish I could take them everyday.

8. Playing Outside

When we were younger, we had plenty of time to go outside and run around. We could play in the dirt, speed by on scooters, or play with bubbles and sidewalk chalk. Unfortunately, now I have a hard time even getting outside between class, homework, work and sleeping.

9. The Classic Toys

Who didn't love Webkinz, Gloworms, Legos, and much much more. Greatest. Things. Ever.

10. Children's Books

Whether the books were super simplistic or the beginner chapter books, the books were the best. Whether it was sitting in circle time reading the "Very Hungry Caterpillar" or "If You Give A Mouse A Cookie", or sitting in a bean bag chair reading a "Choose Your Own Adventure" or "Magic Treehouse", books were great. I would love to trade in my textbooks for those. Please and thank you.

11. Trading Cards

Trading cards are where all of the gamblers of the world started. Yu-Gi-Oh was alright. Pokemon was pretty great, but if you had Garbage Pail Kids, you are a boss. Garbage Pail Kids did a great job teaching our youth to be disgusting since the first grade. Thank you.

12. Field Trips

Remember the days that you got to skip class and go to the museum, aquarium, or observatory? Yes, these were the good ole days. Oh what I would give in order to go on field trips more often.

13. Recess

This kind of ties to going outside, but being able to run and scream at school was the best. I wish I would have taken advantage of it more when I was in school, but the past is the past. I just wish I was not too tall to play on the monkey bars. At least I can still play on the swings.

14. Making Messes

It was okay to have dirt, snot, or spaghetti sauce on your face. You were looked and adored by many. Now, you are stared at and prayed for your current crisis that you must be in due to your physical state. Life is a struggle. I wish I could make a mess and not have to clean it up.

15. Food

In college, you have to survive on macaroni and cheese and chicken nuggets. At least one thing carried on throughout my life so far. Although, I do miss fruit roll-ups and Cookie Crisp cereal.

16. Hakuna Matata

One of the things that I miss the most is not having to worry about anything. My parents were there to remind me to eat, brush my teeth, do my homework, etc. Once you grow up you have to rely on yourself on only yourself to get by in life. Well, that is yourself and your calendar on your phone.