16 Things I've Learned in 2016

16 Things I've Learned in 2016

The most important lessons I'm carrying with me into 2017 and beyond.

9
16 Things I've Learned in 2016
Tarah Elise Photography

1. Learning from the experience is more important than the outcome.

Don't focus on the bad relationship that just ended or the test you bombed last week. Discovering more about yourself; your personality, your values, your strengths, your weaknesses, and your passions are more important in the long run. The things you learned in the process are much more valuable than the end result.

2. Always do more than you need to.

Overpack and bring more T-shirts than days on your vacation "just in case". Write more than you need to on that essay because having too many ideas is way better than lacking things to say. Run an extra mile just because. Eat that extra piece of cake. It's better to give your all than to not try, because your purpose is to live your life to the fullest potential, not waste your days on regrets.

3. Your parents really do know everything.

Between the two of them, they've probably gone through every "mid-life crisis" you think you're having. They know how to help find the best solution or can at least point you in the right direction. Their years of experience make for some wise words of advice whenever you need it.

4. Never underestimate the power of a cute outfit.

Look good, feel good. I've noticed myself sitting up straighter, walking with confidence, smiling at every person I pass, and overall just being in a better mood when I dress to impress. Sweatpants and messy buns are comfortable and easy, but when I put on some makeup and do my hair, I'm showing the world a better version of myself and that makes me feel like I could accomplish anything.

5. Everyone could always use another friend.

Don't ever think that someone is too popular, you're too different, or they already have enough friends. I promise it's not true. People deserve the benefit of the doubt and everyone has more to them than first impressions. So strike up a conversation about something you have in common or ask to grab coffee sometime simply because they seem nice. You never know if that awkward first encounter will be the story you tell to your kids about how you met your best friend.

6. Plan today so you aren't stressed tomorrow.

Procrastination is not productive. I REPEAT: PROCRASTINATION IS NOT PRODUCTIVE. Honestly it only stresses you out, makes you crabby, takes away your precious hours of sleep, and produces a subpar end result. Just don't do it. Plus, if you get things done ahead of time, you don't have to worry about it and can go about enjoying your day or make room for other fun activities.

7. Don't hold in your emotions.

Say what you're feeling when you're feeling it. Moments fleet, opportunities pass, and people move on. You don't want to wake up the next day and realize it's all over. Time is precious, pain is temporary, and "what if's" can haunt you forever.

8. Sing whatever you want whenever you want.

If you want to belt out the lyrics to "Baby It's Cold Outside" in the middle of September, go right ahead. Music is a way to express yourself in ways that words cannot begin to describe. If it helps you heal, concentrate, or feel joy, then I don't see a reason not to.

9. There's always enough time for one more Netflix episode.

If you've been studying at the library for 3 hours straight, go ahead and watch a quick episode. Your brain needs to take a little rest before you power through the rest of your homework. Or if you've been active and productive all day and wish you could watch an episode before crashing, but its 1 in the morning...go ahead and watch it. You deserve a treat after a stressful day. And if you only have one more episode until the next season, you might as well finish it off. Life is short and you can't worry about boring, adult things 24/7.

10. No dream is too big. You can make it happen.

One of the most important lessons I've learned this year is that you can make your dreams a reality. Most people just assume it's not possible and don't even bother trying. But if you really, truly want to accomplish a goal, you can. And even if the exact plans you had don't work out, there are tons of other options that allow you to do what you love. They just might not be the goals you had your eyes set on.

11. A movie night with your best friend can cure any bad feelings.

Seriously. Heartbreak, loneliness, disappointment...anything. There isn't anything more therapeutic (and free) than picking out a classic movie to watch, making some popcorn, and snuggling up with your friends. Sometimes it's all you need to be put in a better mood.

12. Never give up an opportunity to travel.

There are so many beautiful and fascinating languages, foods, cultures, and people all over the world. You can find an adventure everywhere you look and each street corner reveals a new path. Wanderlust is real, and once you catch it there's no going back. You'd be surprised at how many pieces of yourself you can discover in the bricks of historic buildings, the gentle breeze coming off the ocean, or in the breathtaking views overlooking an entire city.

13. A small act of kindness can have a bigger affect than you'd think.

I can't tell you how many times my day was made by a complete stranger. A random compliment, a door held open, a few nice words, or even a simple smile can transform my day from bad to good.

14. There's no such thing as too many phone chargers.

Honestly. I need one in every bag I own and a couple portable ones in case the other 5 aren't working.

15. It's okay to not get along with everyone.

Not everyone is going to like you. That's a hard fact to accept sometimes, but it's the truth. Your beliefs, interests, and personality will clash with so many people, but that doesn't mean they are any less valuable. Stay true to who you are and surround yourself with others who compliment your one-of-a-kind spirit.

16. You have the power to change the world.

A friend once told me that anyone can change the world. The world is not one, collective mind; but rather, it is made up of billions of perspectives. Your contributions matter. If you can make someone's day, open their mind up to new ideas, reshape their views of purpose, or impact their life in any sort of way, then you have just changed the world.