Over spring break, I reread The Virgin Suicides. It was a spiritual experience, the most spiritual experience I've had since watching Gilmore Girls for the first time. The sentences are lyrical, the ones you want to forget right away just so you can experience the same indescribable emotion for the first time, again and again. But at the same time, they're the ones you never want to forget. Has anyone else ever had that emotion? Forget it. If you haven't, I'm a mere imbecile, but this book is not. It is genius. So, even if you have not encountered this emotion, you still need to read the sentences and the words and the meaning that lies in the spaces between them.

Here are 16 quotes that will make you want to dive in right this second.

1. “Basically what we have here is a dreamer. Somebody out of touch with reality. When she jumped, she probably thought she'd fly.”

2. “We felt the imprisonment of being a girl, the way it made your mind active and dreamy, and how you ended up knowing which colors went together. We knew that the girls were our twins, that we all existed in space like animals with identical skins, and that they knew everything about us though we couldn’t fathom them at all. We knew, finally, that the girls were really women in disguise, that they understood love and even death, and that our job was merely to create the noise that seemed to fascinate them.”

3. “He hadn't suffered the eternity of the ring about to be picked up."

4.“She was the still point in the turning world."

5. "They became too powerful to live among us, too self-concerned, too visionary, too blind. What lingered after them was not life, which always overcomes natural death, but the most trivial list of mundane facts: a clock ticking on a wall, a room dim at noon, and the outrageousness of a human being thinking only of herself."

6. "It didn't matter in the end how old they had been, or that they were girls, but only that we had loved them, and that they hadn't heard us calling, still do not hear us, up here in the tree house, with our thinning hair and soft bellies, calling them out of those rooms where they went to be alone for all time, alone in suicide, which is deeper than death, and where we will.”

7. “It occurred to us that she and the girls read secret signs of misery in cloud formations, that despite the discrepancies in their ages something timeless communicated itself between them, as though she were advising the girls in her mumbling Greek, "Don't waste your time on life.”

8. “Something sick at the heart of the country had infected the girls. Our parents thought it had to do with our music, our godlessness, or the loosening of morals regarding sex we hadn't even had.”

9. “Her head appears to be on fire but that is only a trick of the light. It was June 13, eighty-three degrees out, under sunny skies.”

10. “They made us participate in their own madness,because we couldn't help but retrace their steps, rethink their thoughts, and see that none of them led to us.”

11. “You're a stone fox," he said, and took off.”

12.“But most often she watched the candles as if their outcome held her own, the flames almost extinguishing themselves, but, by some greed of oxygen, persisting.”

13. “The sky grew darker, and the light abandoned the daytime, so that we found ourselves always moving in a timeless murk, the only way to discern the hour the taste of sour burps, toothpaste in the morning, redolent in the afternoon of the jellied beef of school cafeteria meals.”

14. “The essence of the suicides consisted not of sadness or mystery but simple selfishness. "

15. "We couldn't imagine the emptiness of a creature who put a razor to her wrists and opened her veins, the emptiness and the calm. "

16. "Her brain going dim to all else, but flaming up in precise points of pain, personal injury, lost dreams."