The Benefits Of Attending A Small School

16 Reasons Going to A Small School Is A Big Blessing

So, you're worried about attending a small university?

63

This all depends on the person, but from personal experience, here are some reasons as to why going to a small school is actually better than going to a larger one.

1. Smaller classes.

This way you won't feel singled out when you try to participate, plus it will get easier to know your classmates and ask for help when the professor assigns ten assignments due by the end of the week.

2. Get to know the people better.

In and out of the classroom, being in a small school has allowed me to get to know people in my major, not in my major, in my class year and not. My best friends aren't even psychology majors, such as myself, but we get along just as well!

3. Get to know professors better.

Either through office hours or class participation, your professors will get to know you, and hopefully, you'll get to know them on a personal level, if you're into that. I didn't think my professors would ever know my name but I was proven wrong within two weeks.

4. More opportunities to do research alongside professors.

This goes along with getting to know the professors, but depending on your major, research may be very important. A smaller school means you have more opportunities to grow within your research.

5. Can get to class faster.

Naturally, a smaller class size would result in a smaller campus. So when I wake up at 8:56 for my 9:10 class, I know if I move fast then I'll make it on time.

6. Easier to adjust to and navigate.

Freshman year was an absolute struggle for me for the first week or so. I was late to at least five classes just because of the new campus. Thankfully, the campus was small enough to navigate in a week. Any larger and I probably would still get lost.

7. Your academic advisor will really get to know you.

(There's an exception because mine has been my professor for two semesters) But I've seen her a lot, either in class, office hours, or for other psych-related events and I feel like she really knows how much I care about succeeding in psychology.

8. Greater chance for leadership opportunities.

It's true! Especially if a lot of things you are interested in have been dominated by seniors. Cause once they graduate the opportunity is yours to grasp.

9. Big enough where you don't know everyone, but you know a majority of the people at the same time.

It's confusing but I think of it as bigger than high school, so you can avoid cliques, but smaller than a typically larger school so you won't get lost in the crowd.

10. Strong sense of community.

I've noticed this a lot at Rider, but everyone seems to be supportive of one another. Maybe bullying just stops in college in total, but everyone seems close with one another. Or if not close, then not complete enemies with others, which is nice to think about.

11. All people have come to this school for a specific reason...

...no matter what it may be. A lot of people at my school decided to go here because of the size. They came in thinking that they'll be surrounded by people they would soon be able to call their friends.

12. (Most) of the professors are full-time faculty.

This means that you will not have professors that give your education divided attention between that and outside research they may be doing.

13. Your work will be evaluated more efficiently.

More students = more papers = less time the professor takes to grade them, just reverse that for a small school.

14. More opportunities to explore outside of your major.

Sure, the general education classes like history and science may be required, but it does give you a broader sense of the world. Who knows? Maybe you thought you were meant to be an architect but then took a class on sociology and your whole life changed.

15. You can take advantage of the location.

OK, this depends on who you are. But from the rather small school I have visited, the majority are surrounded by cute, little, quaint towns. I absolutely love that aspect of my school — so getting to walk around Princeton with friends, or just going to Walmart, is always a fun adventure.

16. You feel like you count.

You don't feel like a statistic that the school hands out to the incoming freshmen every year.