16 Places You Must Visit In The Canadian Mountains

These locations will blow you away with how spectacular they are.

34
Alexa DeClue

It is easy to forget about our neighbors up north because I have done that practically my entire life. My knowledge about Canadians was limited. What I did know from what other people said was that they were extremely kind and loved their maple syrup. But let me tell you, it is way more than just the people that make Canada a true hidden gem. Here are 16 places that you didn't know exist but need to visit ASAP.

1. Whistler, B.C

This place has spectacular views no matter where you look. Another draw about this amazing place is, the last Winter Olympics were held here and you can get a picture in front of the Olympic Rings.

2. Lake Minnewanka

Even though this lake was closed off by man, it still has the power to take your breath away. Don't let this picture fool you, this lake is huge.

3. Peyto Lake

It's hard to believe that this lake looks this blue and spectacular. These views are just a short walk from the parking lot and it's a view you can never get tired of. This blue color comes from the glacier that feeds the lake.

5. Bow Summit/Bow Lake

This view is a steep hike from Peyto Lake, so you're going to have to get your hiking shoes on. This path used to be an old fire road and with a view like this, it's obvious why. Bow Summit overlooks Bow Lake which is another glacier fed lake.

6. Columbian Icefields

It's a weird thought that you get to walk on top of thick ice that has been there for years and years. Parts of the Columbian Icefields are over three miles deep just to give you some perceptive.

7. Wapta Falls

This wide falls has some power behind it and has a little bit of a hike to get to. Just beyond the falls, the water calms down some and you are able to see a variety of rocks that have been carried along the river for miles that have some age on them.

8. Valley of the Five Lakes

Be prepared to hike some to get all five lakes, but you won't regret one second of it. Each lake has its own characteristics, including clear blue/green waters.

9. Emerald Lake

A must-see right off the parking lot. This lake gets its name from the obvious emerald color it has. And the amazing mountain range in the background makes it that much more stunning.

10. Johnston Canyon

This canyon has steel walkways that take you to the multiple falls within it. This is a great place to go to see just how powerful water can be over time. The depth of the canyon is thanks to water that has slowly worked away at the rock.

11. Maligne Lake

This lake is 70% glacier fed and definitely a must see. If you take a boat ride to Spirit Island (picture) you can see the part of the lake that is untouched by humans or boats, as well as the glacier that feeds the lake.

12. Moraine Lake

My absolute favorite spot visited when I went to Canada. The mountain range in the back ground, the color of the water, and the magic of it all is the major draw to the location. Since it is a favorite, if you're going to visit, make sure that you go later in the day when there is parking.

13. Lake Louise

This is another frequented location. If you want to do some hiking you can get higher views of the lake and get closer to the glacier that feeds the lake.

14. Takakkaw Falls

This waterfall is one of a kind. It is the highest continuous falls in Canada. It is also glacier fed and extremely powerful. This little gem is hidden away in the mountain ranges, so be prepared for lots of switchbacks.

15. Herbert Lake

This quiet lake is a perfect stop to make on your way to Bow Lake and Peyto Lake. The water is extremely clear, so you can see the bottom of the lake in the morning and evening hours.

16. Edith Cavell

This little piece of paradise is also hidden away in the mountain ranges.The glacier feeding this lake is shaped like an angel with outspread wings, which you can get up close and personal with.