16 Things I Learned While I Was 16

16 Things I Learned While I Was 16

How the sixteenth year of my life grew and shaped me as a person.

169
16 Things I Learned While I Was 16
Grace Jicha Photography

1. You don't know everything about everything

... and that's okay. Be open to suggestion and learning more about the world.

2. There is no such thing as wrong timing

The boy who steals your first kiss might not end up marrying you but he will teach you so many lessons about love, life, and yourself. He was the right one for that time, and there will be other right ones for other times in your life. Everyone enters your life for a reason and everyone walks out of your life for a reason.

3. Love is a choice

You can feel love towards someone and show them affection, but truly loving someone is choosing to love them every day despite the chaos of life and the moments you don’t feel as close to their heart. You love them every day, you choose them every day.

4. Heartbreak hurts

Having your heart broken will feel like the worst pain you’ve ever felt, but you’ll come out of it a stronger, more resilient person with a new level of self awareness.

5. It's okay to cry

It’s okay to be sad, but don’t dwell on the past. Open your heart back up and fall in love with life, it’s a wonderful gift.

6. Forgive others

Let go of the past. There is not one person who hasn’t made mistakes and done things they regret, you included.

7. Letting someone go doesn't mean you don't love them

It just means you learned how to love them differently and in a way that doesn’t break your heart.

8. Live in the now

Do not focus on “someday I’ll be happy” , “someday I won’t be heartbroken”, “someday I’ll be successful”. Go out and be happy today. Take the love you stored up in your heart for the boy too dumb to chase you and give it to the people present in your life. Pour it out upon others. There is no limit on how much you can love someone, you have so much to give. Love endlessly and strive towards success and what makes you happy.

9. Junior year is important

Develop a strong work ethic and get good grades because even though college seems far away, those grades will help pay for your tuition, and your strong work ethic will be valued by employers when you’re in search of a job.

10. It's okay to take a mental health day

I promise you won’t fail algebra if you miss a day of class. Your mental health is more important than your GPA.

11. Celebrate your accomplishments

Treat yourself to a new shirt when you ace a math test. Take off work to go out on a Friday night after submitting a research paper. Acknowledge your achievements and embrace them.

12. Value your time because it is fleeting

Spend every moment doing the things you love with the people you love. Go out mini golfing with your family on a Friday night instead of staying in and watching Netflix. Go adventuring with friends instead of staying in on a Sunday afternoon. These are days you will never get back and memories you’ll cherish throughout the years.

13. Be there for your friends

You will make the world of a difference in someone’s life if you take the time to listen to them and reassure them that they are valued and everything will be okay.

14. Start off every morning with devotions

Even if you have to wake up a little earlier, spending time with Jesus, the one who loves you the most is the best way to start off your day.

15. Don't put your friends on blast on Twitter

... or any social media, for that matter. Don’t put your acquaintances on blast on Twitter. Walk up to people and handle the situation by having a mature conversation, it’s more effective and worthy of respect.

16. Look good for yourself

Dress up for school because it makes you feel more confident, not to impress anyone else. Curl your hair and do your makeup because it makes you feel beautiful, or go naturally. Do whatever makes you feel like the confident and beautiful person you are.