16 Influential Celebrities You Didn't Know Were Communication Majors

You hear that, Mom and Dad?
3571

Often questioned, bashed, and belittled, Communication degrees are seen as a waste of time. However, some of America's most influential figures received their college degrees in Communications, such as:

1. Stephen Tyrone Colbert

Colbert is a Primetime Emmy award-winning comedian, author, writer, producer, actor and singer, and host of the "Late Show with Stephen Colbert" on CBS. He attended the Northwestern University School of Communication in Evanston, Illinois.

2. Jermaine Lamarr Cole (J. Cole)

J. Cole is a Grammy nominated hip hop recording artist, songwriter, and record producer. He studied Communications at St. John's University in New York City, New York.

3. Ellen Lee DeGeneres

DeGeneres is an Emmy award-winning comedian, writer, actress, author, producer and host of "Ellen" on NBC. She studied Communications at the University of New Orleans in Louisiana.

4. James Thomas (Jimmy Fallon)

Fallon is a a comedian, actor, singer, writer, producer and host of the "Tonight Show" on NBC. He studied Communications at the College of Saint Rose in Albany in New York.

5. Matthew David McConaughey

McConaughey is an Academy Award winning actor and producer. He studied Communications at the College of Communication at the University of Texas in Austin, Texas.

6. Stacy Ann-Marie Keibler

Keibler is an actress, model, and retired professional wrestler from the WWE. She studied Communications at Towson University in Baltimore, Maryland.

7. David Michael Letterman

Letterman is a comedian, writer, producer, actor, and the former host of the longest airing show late night talk show in American history, "Late Show with David Letterman." He studied Communications at Ball State University in Muncie, Indiana.

8. Howard Allen Stern

Stern, also recognized as the king of broadcasting, is a radio and television personality, producer, host, author, and actor. He studied Communications at Boston University in Boston, Massachusetts.

10. Wendy Williams

Williams is a television personality, actress, author, and host of daytime talk show "The Wendy Williams Show." She studied Communications at Northeastern University in Boston, Massachusetts.

11. Jacoby McCabe Ellsbury

Ellsbury is a Golden Glove and Silver Slugger award-winning Major League Baseball player currently playing for the New York Yankees. He studied Communications at Oregon State University in Corvallis, Oregon.

12. Carrie Marie Underwood

Underwood is a Grammy Award winning and Golden Globe nominated singer, songwriter-actress and American Idol winner of Season Five. She studied Communications at Northeastern State University in Boston, Massachusets.

13. Al Lincol Roker

Roker is a television personality, actor, author, weather forecaster and host of "Wake Up With Al" on The Weather Channel. He studied Communications at the University of New York at Oswego in New York.

14. Hannah Storm

Storm is a television sports journalist, host, and the co-anchor of "Sport Center" on ESPN. She studied Communications at the University of Notre Dame in Indiana.

15. Jerome Allen "Jerry" Seinfeld

Seinfeld is a Primetime Emmy award-winning comedian, actor, writer and producer. He studied Communications at the State University of New York at Oswego in New York.

16. Erik Jon Spoelstra

Spoelstra is an NBA championship professional coach and the current head coach of the Miami Heat, a team of the National Basketball Association. He studied Communications at the University of Portland in Oregon.

So many successful Comm majors out there, it really makes the following quote true:

"Intelligence, knowledge or experience are important and might get you a job, but strong communication skills are what will get you promoted." — Mireille Guiliano