15 Ways To Tell That You Are Rhode Island AF

How are we still driving?

95
500px - Newport Rhode Island Waterfront Sunset

Growing up in little Rhody is an experience like no other. We may be small but we have the world to offer. We are so unique from everywhere in the United States, being the only state that has just one area code. We grow up by the sea learning about our enriched history and tales as old as time. The water is sometimes rough, but this state is ours.

1. Your Dunkin crew knows you by name, car and order.

"Hey Dana! Medium peppermint mocha, regular? Okay have a great day at school!”

The Dunkin run is an essential part of your daily routine. Luckily, there is a Dunks within every 5 miles from wherever you are in the state. You just feel wrong if you don’t go to your usual Dunkin though. They're like your family there, you can’t cheat on your Dunks, that would be wicked rude.

2. Anything more then a 15 minute drive is out of the way.

You want to go up to Boston? Well, okay but we’re going to have to stop for snacks.

Small town? Try small state. You can probably get to the city, beach, your grandparents house who live 5 cities away— all in 15 minutes. You are so used to everything being within such easy access, it becomes a troop to pick your cousin up at the Boston airport during the holidays.

3. You can go anywhere in the state and still run into at least 5 people you know.

Heading to 'Ganssett? I’m sure you’ll run into your auntie at the beach. Grabbing a drink? You’ll probably see 6 of your friends at CharlieO’s. Going to AppleBee’s in your hometown? Prepare to see at least 3 people from your high school. Going to a family dinner at Twin Oaks? You’ll probably see your grandpa’s best friend there.

4. If you’re meeting a fellow Rhode Islander for the first time, odds are they know someone you know.

So where are you from?” Cranston? West or East side? OMG-- do you know *insert name of someone you know somehow here*?"

Odds are,they know your uncle’s best friend’s sister’s kid, or maybe they played baseball with your brother’s friend. It’s a small place filled with a lot of people who all seem to be connected. You’re never really surprised if you meet someone and they say they know your cousins.

5. Dels is great and all... but have you had Mr. Lemon?

Yes, Dels frozen lemonade goodness is essential to every Rhode Island summer, but lets talk about how great Mr. Lemon is. It’s so much smoother then Dels! If you drink it with a straw don’t get offended if a Rhode Islander smacks it out of your hand. That is the wrong way to drink your frozen lemonade pal.

6. Awful Awful Mondays are awful awful good.

Nothing brightens up a Monday like a milkshake from Newport Creamery, and two for one is an even better. Its the perfect excuse to lighten up post weekend blues after a long day of school.

7. Yes I’m aware party pizza is just gravy on dough…

Party pizza is the best, okay? Yes, it may just be a slice of flattened, undercooked bread with gravy spread all over it, but it is perfect. Sometimes simple is best.

8. What actually are R's? I think I’ll add one at the end of this word that it doesn't belong on.

“I sawrah him on da Hill the othah day”

Go ahead and mix a Boston accent with Italian american slag and poof, ya got a Rhode Islandah’s accent. It would be a wicked good idear ta haveahchaat ova some caa-ffee milk. I’ll never forget trying to find my gate in the Orlando airport. I didn’t even have to look for the number, I knew it was mine by the way everyone was taalkin'.

9. It feels like a perfect night to go to down to Thayer St. and dress like hipsters.

Grab your friends and head downtown to the Street in the heart of Brown University. You will be surrounded by artsy city kids who look like they just walked out of an Urban Outfitters’ photo shoot. You’ll find some small, but simply amazing restaurants . A night in Providence is never complete without a stop at Antonio’s Pizza, especially after a water-fire. You and the girls love grabbing crepes during your breaks between classes at La Creperie. Nothing is better then a s’mores martini from Kartabar on karaoke night . Sometimes on a crisp fall day, its nice to just walk around Thayer Street and embrace the hipster atmosphere.

10. Let’s sail away on da Block Island ferry, take a trip to Block Island today.

If you live / lived in Rhode Island, I know you sang that

Going to the Block with your friends and family by your side is one of your favorite summer past times. Hopping on the ferry, bike riding around the island, adventuring through the cliffs and then exploring the shops is the perfect way to get away. And the best part? We don't even have to travel far to escape and leave all our worries behind.

11. Exploring Newport is one of your favorite things to do in the summer.

Another great Rhode Island summer favorite is driving over that beautiful bridge to cross over to Newport. You can para-sail over the island and watch fireworks by the dock side on the Forth of July, but don't forget to stop at Diego's for some nachos that will blow your mind. So many laughs and memories come out of the day trips popping in and out of the shops of Newport.

12. You feel like you're in a magical world of red and orange in the fall.

It smells like apple cinnamon in the crisp autumn breeze.

There is nothing like cursing over the Situate reservoir during late October. You are surrounded by brilliant hues of red and orange reflecting off of the water. It’s the perfect place to take an adventure and embrace the beauty Rhode Island paints itself in the fall.

13. Sure there are lots of hills here but you know exactly where the Hill is.

Federal Hill is the little Italy of Rhode Island. The best pasta in the state comes from Venda. Nothing is better than the Hill on Columbus Day. Everyone comes together for a festival in the streets. You watch your grandparent’s float in the parade with a plate of raviolis in your hand. It's easily the best day of fall in New England.

14. You pretty much live for beach days.

*Rhode Islander talking to someone from the Midwest* So you’re telling me you’ve never seen the OCEAN? How do you even live in the summer?”

It’s a really scary thought knowing there are people out there who have never seen the ocean. Your summer days are spent catching sunny rays and hopping over the waves. You couldn’t even imagine a world where you weren’t more then 45 minutes away from the sea. You grew up around boats and sea food. You would define your perfect summer day with Del’s in your hand, an Allie’s donut in the other and enjoying the beauty of the Rhode Island shoreline. A day at the beach is not complete without a stop at Iggies for some chowdah and calm cakes.

15.When you visit other states it blows your mind that everything is SO far away.

“How are we still driving”

It takes roughly 45 minutes to drive from state line to state line. Everything is compacted into a little world where everyone knows everyone.So we may not have an NFL football arena and we’re divided by Red Sox and Yankee fans, but we wouldn't have it any other way. Other states seem so big to us, and we have a hard time getting used to calling things by their county. The 401 may be small but we’ve got a lot of heart. Even if you move away, a Rhode Islandah always finds their way back home.