15 Unrealistic Things That Happen In Teen Movies And Shows

I guess the unrealistic things are meant to give us a sweet escape from reality

1541
Sarah Sykes

I'm a sucker for teen novels, movies, and shows. Let's face it, we all wish that we exist in this fictional world because of High School Musical making it look fun to go to and want us to be friends with Wildcats.

What bugged me about teen movies and shows was that they are unrealistic. I guess that they're meant to unrealistic because they allow us to escape from reality and get us through difficult times through our crucial period of adolescence.

Here are 15 unrealistic things that happen in every teen movie and show:

1. The teens are always insanely attractive

I still laugh how fictional teenagers are attractive in the movies when in reality, some of us still haven't even reached the age of good looks. Some high schoolers are still considered to be cute and too young to be considered attractive. Fictional teens seem like they do not have acne problems, while the reality teens struggle with acne battles. I wonder what's the secret to having perfect skin.

2. Public romantic gestures

I'm pretty sure some girls wish their boyfriends pulled a Heath Ledger by singing in front of your soccer team. It does not happen in reality unless the boyfriend makes more effort than he usually does.

3. Stalking is seen as cute and endearing

I do not understand why the media glorifies stalking. People tend to view it as endearing and cute. Right, receiving a restraining order sounds like a cute result.

4. Kids always dressing nice

Since our jobs are to study and pay attention without getting paid, we cannot always afford to dress nice. In reality, teens wear sweatpants. It is impressive that the Gossip Girl characters to dress nice every day and I don't remember a single scene of any of them wearing sweats.

5. We don't always look this old

What people think 17-year-olds look like:

I'm almost 20 years old and some people think I look old enough to be a high school senior when I'm really a sophomore in college. We definitely had moments in which we wonder how is it possible that the characters look older than they are portrayed when in reality we look like babies. Some movie stars are in their early to late 20s and still portray as high school and college students. I guess the acting matters more, not age.

6. Not all girls wear dresses and high heels

In reality, some schools do not even allow girls to wear high heels and dresses because of dress code issues. Besides, you're just going to school to learn, not to a fashion show.

7. Cheerleaders are always portrayed as snobbish

Not cheerleaders are snobbish. I have met a few girls in high school that are actually total sweethearts who just want to show school pride.

8. For some strange reason, teens talk like they are intellectual adults

I agree that we have met some high schoolers and college students with words of wisdom, but it always doesn't work this way. I'm not saying that teenagers are stupid, not all of them make the smartest decisions. It's part of their learning process.

9. The outcast gets a glorious makeover

Not all makeovers give the outcasts instant attention. In reality, teenagers tend to be too caught up in their own lives to focus on someone else's. There is a possibility with attractive people managing to be unpopular.

10. Huge dorm rooms in college

We saw teen movies, especially the dormitories. We have expected to have walk-in closets and a huge room. I live with two girls and our dorm is barely half the size of Rebel Wilson and Anna Kendrick's dorm room.

11. Hallways or cafeteria

In most teen movies, we don't see many kids in the classroom. It seems like that they spend 7 hours a day, hanging out in the cafeterias and wandering through the crowded hallways.

12. Over-the-top raging parties

It seems simple to throw a party while the parents are gone. Buying 20 packs of alcohol with a fake I.D., inviting 300 people, and cleaning up a Hurricane Katrina of trash sound easy.

13. It seems like that there is never homework

According to studies, high school students spend 3.5 hours on homework every night. In the movies and on television, it seems like that students spend more time having fun than studying, while in reality, all we do is work, work, work (thank you Rihanna, for getting this song stuck in my head).

14. Curfew is nonexistent

I don't remember a parent mentioning a time he or she wants the kids home by.

15. Sneaking out seems easy

In most movies, the teenagers know how to sneak out in the middle of night without waking up their parents or breaking their necks.