15 Things You Learn as a West Virginian

15 Things You Learn as a West Virginian

Sound crazy? I promise it's all true.

184
15 Things You Learn as a West Virginian
Forest Wander

1. How to make pepperoni rolls.

How do y'all not know what these are? Well, you outsiders are gonna learn today. Here in West Virginia, pepperoni rolls are the bomb.com. You simply just put cheese and pepperoni in some dough and you put it in the oven. Bamb! I present you with pepperoni rolls.

2. How to NOT eat the berries on the ground.

Yes, smart one, these are poisonous. DO NOT EAT THESE.

3. How to walk on gravel barefoot without feeling or showing any pain whatsoever.

Yeah, it's a thing. When you forget your phone charger or your backpack in your car and you have to go get it but you don't have shoes on, you pretty much just get used to the pain of walking on the gravel.

4. How to swim in the bed of your truck…LITERALLY.

People are always so shocked to find out that we swim in the bed of our trucks. Come on now y'all. It's West Virginia, we are home to the people who do crazy and stupid stuff all the time. All you do is put a tarp down in the back of the bed and fill her up with water. Then boom, I present you with a five star pool.

5. Here, deer meat is always on the menu.

West Virginians don't play around. Deer meet is a viable part of your typical home cooked meal, but only if cooked right. All throughout high school, my dad constantly cooked deer meat for me, and I must say that it is amazing.

6. How to drive a four wheeler through and over anything

While living in West Virginia, you quickly learn how to maneuver your way through briars and bushes in the woods.

7. Almost everyone here hunts.

What'd you expect? It's West Virginia. Going into the woods and shooting deer is a regular for West Virginians. One time in high school, a guy in my class ended up accidentally shooting his foot and the bullet went straight through it (true story).

8. How to drive a car..even if it isn't 4WD

West Virginians quickly realize that the roads here are insane. You learn how to drive through and around potholes. In WV, most of us swerve around the potholes. This makes it easy on cops because if you aren't swerving, you're most likely drunk, because you're driving straight through the potholes.

9. How NOT to be scared if you hear animal noises at night while camping.

When you go camping in the woods, you'll mostly like hear the occasional coyote or mountain lion. It's nothing to worry about though, it's a common occurrence here in West Virginia.

10. In WV, Mac N' Cheese is a required menu item at EVERY event

West Virginians LOVE their Mac N' Cheese, there's no arguing with that.

11. How to avoid hitting deer while driving.

West Virginia just so happens to be the home of the deer that only decide to grace you with their presence when you're driving. In order to make sure you don't wreck, a helpful thing to do would be to look at the orange signs with deer on them, because if you see that sign there's usually a lot of deer in the area.

12. The proper names of the toppings of hotdogs

When having a cookout, there's almost always hotdogs involved. Here, in WV, you have coleslaw, and "SAUCE", not chili.

13. Mountaineers or the Thundering Herd

West Virginia is VERY into football. Here you’re either a Mountaineer fan, or considered apart of the herd (known to the Mountaineer fans as the "Thundering Turd"). You are either one or the other and there is NO in between.

14. It's "y’all" not "you all."

Most people say "you all," but West Virginians don't. Here, almost everyone I come into contact with uses "y'all" as a regular part of their vocabulary.

15. WV is a State

Shocker, right? Most of my friends in college that are from out of state had absolutely no idea that West Virginia was it's own separate state. To me, this is crazy because we literally go over the states and capitals in elementary school, so you'd think college students and adults would know this by now, but I guess not.