15 Things San Francisco Taught Me Before I Packed My Bags And Left

Be cautious, but don't forget to be free.

26
Emily Bordelove

We all knew that person in high school who planned to get on a plane with a one-way ticket to the out-of-state college of their choice and never look back. I was that girl: the poster child for leaving, for hating Las Vegas, for thinking that I needed more than what home could ever offer me. So, I went to the University of San Francisco for my freshman year of college. I didn't do as much research as I should have. I didn't look up living costs, or what living in a city truly looks like. I just saw that I was offered a scholarship at a university in California, and bought a plane ticket. It was possibly the most reckless decision I've ever made.

It's been a little over a year since I left San Francisco and transferred home. In the year I lived in the city and learned that it wasn't a place I wanted to live, it taught me countless other lessons that make it impossible to regret choosing to go there in the first place. I'm grateful I went, I'm even more grateful I chose to come home, but here are 15 lessons San Francisco taught me before I said goodbye.

1. I Love The Sun.

Sure, dancing around in my rain boots was fun for an hour, but after not seeing the sun for what seemed like months, I returned home as possibly the palest Greek-Italian that ever existed and yearned for 110 degree summers.

2. Public Transportation Is Not For Me.

After seeing a still drunk or possibly hungover woman throw up all over the bus, an elderly man scream Bible passages at me for several blocks, a grown woman urinate in her seat, and a man open up several packets of Sweet and Low and dump them into a pile on the floor, I knew that when I came home I needed to get a driver's license.

3. How To Be Independent.

We're taught that going out alone to certain places is not a part of the social norm, but going to a restaurant and a movie by myself was more empowering than I ever thought it would be. The art of the "selfie date" is an imperative skill to hone.

4. How To Have Opinions Of My Own.

Before college I'd just assumed I would be a part of the same political party as my parents. Going out on my own allowed me to think critically about what I truly believe in. I learned that I'm not a part of the same political party as most of my family members, and while it might make Thanksgiving a little uncomfortable, it's okay, because it's my opinion.

5. Boba Tea Is Wonderful.

My roommates in college practically had to beg me to try it, but once I did I was hooked. And after dozens of Las Vegas boba adventures, I'm proud to say that every friend I've ever taken to boba with me has loved it too. You're welcome boba converts! (I do however apologize to your wallets)

6. Family Is The Most Important Thing There Is.

I thought one of the best parts about moving away would be getting some space and living my life apart from my — now 11 person — family. I missed being part of the pack, and all of the food wars, cacophonous car rides, fiery magic tricks, lack of personal space, and other shenanigans that came with the territory.

7. You Can Have Fun And Still Get A 4.0 GPA.

In high school I was nothing short of a hermit. I was relatively involved in school activities, but I never went out at night, and certainly not to parties. Being on my own not only allowed me to figure out the balance of fun to studying that worked best for me but also how much fun letting loose every once in a while can be.

8. There's Not Just One Way To Be Beautiful.

Maybe that's just how high school is for everyone, but the pressure to look like a specific kind of person was amplified in that setting for me. Being surrounded by such a diverse group of people in San Francisco with different clothing, different hair styles, different personalities and interests, different bodies, and different complexions made me realize that you don't have to look and act like the models and the movie stars to be beautiful.

9. How To Step Out Of Your Comfort Zone.

To be more accurate I didn't just step out, I jumped out of my comfort zone my freshman year. I said yes to the boy in the laundry room inviting me to the street fair where we ate empanadas on the sidewalk. I said yes to the girl on my floor asking me to go to a fraternity party where I got my first taste of Greek life. I said yes to getting spontaneous matching helix piercings with my roommate even though I was terrified it would hurt. Be cautious, but don't forget to be free.

10. Just Because You Graduated, Doesn't Mean That Life Won't Feel Like High School Sometimes.

There are always going to be people who gossip, talk behind your back, and who act like teenagers no matter how old they get. Just shake it off.

11. Good Things Can Happen After 2 A.M.

Late night drives across the Golden Gate and Bay Bridge with the windows down top the list.

12. I Am Not A City Girl.

While it is possible I am the only person on the planet who prefers Suburbia to the city or to the country, I just can't see myself living anywhere else. I took home for granted, but the city helped me understand that Laura Ingalls Wilder was right, "Home is the nicest word there is."

13. Poetry Extends Beyond Shakespeare.

Spoken word gave me a voice when I was still unsure of what I was trying to say. I'm still not even sure what I'm trying to say in the grand scheme of things, but I'm not afraid to try anymore.

14. Talking To People From Different Backgrounds and Cultures Will Teach You More About The World Than Any Textbook.

If people just talked to each other and listened without judgment and with compassion, many of the issues we're facing today could be solved.

15. My Mom Is My Best Friend.

She is the most patient, selfless, and compassionate person I've ever known. I had no doubt that whether I was calling her because my 10pm class just got out and I didn't want to walk alone, or I just needed to hear her voice when I was crying in the stairwell, or I just wanted to talk about our days, that she'd be there. I have no doubt in my mind that that's how it will always be.

If I could go back in time and choose to go to UNLV right out of high school, would I? No. The lessons I learned living on my own in San Francisco are priceless. Am I happier than I've ever been going into my junior year of college at UNLV this fall? Yes, yes I am. Sometimes the wrong decisions lead us exactly where we're supposed to be.