15 Things You Can Do In The Lou

15 Things You Can Do In The Lou

Because there's a lot more to STL than baseball.

25
15 Things You Can Do In The Lou

My family moved to Saint Charles, MO when I was five years old, so the first few years of my childhood were spent being a tourist in the Saint Louis area. Since my family and I aren't Saint Louis natives, we've never been huge baseball fanatics. This gave us a chance to see Saint Louis in a different light. We went to museums, tried local cuisine, and learned to love STL and the Midwest in our own eclectic way. Here are fifteen of my favorite locations to visit in STL whenever I make the trip into the city.

1. The Arch

Some say the Arch is the Gateway to the Midwest, but I think of it more as the home of giant croquet. All jokes aside, the Arch is an iconic location in STL and anyone that has lived in the area knows they're home when they see the monument in the distance. If you decide to stop at the Arch, be sure to go inside. The view from the top is impossible to replicate and there's a fun interactive museum that teaches you about how the Arch was built.

2. Anheuser-Bush Brewery Tour

Budweiser beer is one of the prides of Saint Louis. Even though it's now owned by a German company (I'm not bitter), there's no question that STL is the beverage's hometown. Taking a tour of the brewery is a must for any visitor. You get a free Bud product or soda to enjoy while you learn about Budweiser's history and the beer-making process. What more could you want?

3. Forest Park

If you plan on going to half of the attractions on this list, you are going to end up in Forest Park at some point. Art Hill is an especially iconic location within the park. It's a wonderful location to go sledding during winter months and there's an outdoor themed movie series hosted on Art Hill each summer. Last year's theme was major movies with anniversaries ending in zero. WARNING: During the spring and summer months there is a very high likelihood that you will stumble upon a wedding party taking pictures.

4. Ted Drewes Frozen Custard

Frozen custard is a local favorite in STL and the only place you should ever get it from is Ted Drewes. If you've never experienced frozen custard, it's definitely something you should try. The frozen treat isn't quite ice cream but it's not soft-serve either. It's a thick decadent dessert that makes any hot summer day better. Ted Drewes is best known for their concretes that are thick enough to be held upside down. If you want to give the custard a try on its own, I highly suggest both chocolate or strawberry. WARNING: Ted Drewes is always crowded, but in the words of Ted himself, "It really is good, guys and gals!"

5. Grant's Farm

You know those awesome Clydesdales featured in Budweiser's Super Bowl commercials? The commercials that can make even a grown man cry? Grant's Farm is where they all live. It's amazing. Warning for families with little kids: There's a very high likelihood that they will want to take a baby Clydesdale home with them after visiting Grant's Farm. Stuffed animal versions are available at the gift shop.

6. The Hill

This is Saint Louis' Italian ("I-talian" if you want to sound like a native) neighborhood and home to an STL delicacy: toasted ravioli. Toasted ravioli, lovingly referred to as T-ravs, are deep fried ravioli filled with either ground beef, veal, or a mix of both. No cheese allowed. They're served with a side of marinara and are one food every Saint Louisian you meet will probably force-feed you during some point of your visit. There are also a lot of great bakeries on the Hill. If you're lucky you'll run into a sweet old Italian man who will teach you the meanings of "grazie" and "prego" while you eat your cannoli (true story).

7. St. Louis Zoo

If you've ever lived in Saint Louis for any period of time, I'm sure you've heard the Zoo's tagline, "Can you come out and play?" The Saint Louis Zoo is a wonderful kid friendly location with tons of interactive options. One of my favorites as a child was the children's playground where you can slide through the seal exhibit or climb on a spider web made out of bungee cords. While many of the attractions inside the zoo have a small fee, admission into the zoo is free.

8. Science Center

The Science Center always has something for future inventors, explorers, or mad scientists. Some of the main exhibits include a full-size T-Rex that moves, a virtual construction site where you and your friends can design a new building, a bridge where you can stand over the highway and catch speeders, and a planetarium. The Science Center also holds STL's only OMNIMAX theater and also features a range of exhibits throughout the year. One of my favorite OMNIMAX memories was seeing Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. I also still vividly remember the Grossology exhibit from when I was a kid.

9. City Museum

The City Museum is one of the only places I know where adult and child alike can let their inner kid roam free. This is one of the most eclectic and wildly entertaining locations in STL. With an underground tunnel and a wire playground that goes high into the sky outside of the museum, there's so much to explore while you're here. Even though I've lived in the Saint Louis area for over ten years, I still find a new crevice to explore when I'm here. If you're looking for more adult fun, the City Museum also has several bars inside.

10. Fox Theatre

I will never forget seeing Wicked with my dad at the Fox. Every inch of the building is filled with grandeur and it's just a magical place for anyone that loves theater or music. This is definitely a pricier activity, but if you're wanting to turn one of your nights in STL into a special occasion, I would highly suggest seeing what shows or concerts might be coming to the Fox during your visit.

11. Crown Candy Kitchen

While Crown Candy Kitchen isn't too exciting from the outside, its retro soda jerk interior and mouthwatering menu make up for it. Crown Candy is best known for their milkshakes. These concoctions will fill you up before you're finished. If you don't believe this is possible, feel free to take on Crown Candy's challenge.

12. St. Louis History Museum

If you are as much of a history buff as my family is, you'll love the STL History Museum. The museum is a beautiful location in the middle of Forest Park, but also has a lot of fun facts about Saint Louis. You can learn about Charles Lindbergh and his journey flying the Spirit of St. Louis or find out more about the 1904 World's Fair, all for free. The museum also always has a featured exhibition with a set fee. I've been to a handful of these, but some of the most memorable include a Louis XIV exhibit and one on Missouri's role in the Civil War.

13. Fitz's Root Beer

If you want to experience a root beer float bigger than your head, go to Fitz's. Finishing one of these is a goal on most Saint Louisans' bucket lists. You can also get lunch here, so it's a great stop between all of your touristy activities. Fitz's is a local soda brand and the restaurant is also home to its bottling factory. While you enjoy your float and lunch, you can watch the bottling process. Yet one more eclectic experience in STL.

14. Ballpark Village

Ballpark Village is for 21 and up. It's a location right next to Busch Stadium and is home to a ridiculous amount of themed bars. Do you like country music? They've got a bar for that. Do you like piano bars? They've got a bar for that too. And of course, there's the sports bars, because it wouldn't be Ballpark Village without them.

15. The Loop

The Delmar Loop is a great strip of shops and restaurants just outside of the city. If you need a break from the major hustle and bustle of STL, I highly suggest hitting it up. It's super nice to window shop here during summer days and it's also home to some of Saint Louis' most iconic restaurants, including Blueberry Hill and Pi Pizza.

BONUS: The Muny

The Muny is by far my favorite Saint Louis attraction. As the largest outdoor theater in the country, The Muny is a wonderful time for anyone interested in musicals. The only catch is that The Muny is only open during the summer months, so if this sounds like something you want to see during your trip to STL, make sure to visit between June and August.