15 Surefire Ways To Avoid The Freshman 15

The Freshman 15 IS avoidable and you CAN beat it.

21
Miami Student

With the school year coming to a close, high school seniors are graduating and are about to head off to college. New beginnings, new faces, new opportunities and … new freedom. Freedom to eat what you want, do what you want, see who you want. The “Freshman 15” tends to go hand in hand with these new freedoms. Coming from someone who has experience the exciting new beginning of college and STILL managed to lose 15 pounds from the beginning of freshman year, I have a few tricks on how to prevent the Freshman 15 in from the get-go.

1. Start a workout regime

Whether it’s running a few miles every day or lifting weights, start a workout regime! From the second you step foot on campus, you should learn where the gym is and be working out 4-5 times a week.

2. And stick with it

Forming a workout regime will do nothing for you if you give up after one month. It only takes 21 days to form a habit, give or take a week. If you can stick with your gym regime for a few weeks, you’ll be good to go for the full semester.

3. Watch what you’re eating

This seems obvious, but you’d be surprised how difficult it is to watch what you’re eating in college. Free food is EVERYWHERE. The dining hall has an endless array of desserts. Fries are served with every meal. Restaurants become the social hangout place. Mom isn’t there to tell you what to eat. It becomes very challenging to watch what you’re eating. If you’re trying to maintain your weight, 1600-2000 calories/day is a good intake level to prevent weight gain. Of course, if you’re highly active or sedentary you can consume more or less calories.

4. Don’t drink in excess

A typical alcoholic drink has 150 calories. When you’re drinking to get drunk (as many college students do), as opposed to drinking one or two drinks, you are loading your body with calories. Many of my high school classmates gained weight solely from drinking every weekend. On a given night, if you drink 5 alcoholic beverages - that’s 750 calories, almost half of your daily needs, solely from alcohol.

5. Try to eat three meals a day

Many college students have the most bizarre eating schedules. If you’re wanting to avoid the Freshman 15, it’s important for you to eat every meal and a regular time. Eating small, frequent meals can boost your metabolism and even help you lose weight. You don’t want to skip breakfast, eat lunch at noon, dinner at 11 pm, and be snacking on junk food all day.

6. Don’t make excuses

Not only is this a good tip for those trying to avoid the Freshman 15, but it’s also a good tip for any time you want something. Don’t make excuses. You DO have time to workout. You CAN eat healthy. You ARE capable of avoiding the Freshman 15.

7. Minimize in-between meal and late night snacking

I gave up snacking and it was the best decision for me. However, it’s not always feasible for everyone. Snacking can be good for you if done correctly. Don’t snack on oreos and cheetos at 3 am. If you need to snack, try choosing healthier options such as fruit.

8. Sleep!

So many students pull all nighters. When you aren’t getting enough sleep, you are increasing your body’s chances of retaining weight. Note: Don’t say you don’t have time. You do.

9. Build muscle

Instead of focusing on trying to lose weight, try focusing on building muscle instead. By building muscle, you can tone up while slimming down.

10. Be smart

If you're prone to late night snacking, keep healthy snacks on hand. If you have a sweet tooth, keep healthy sweet snacks on hand (fruit, trailmix, etc.)

11. You can say no to food

In college, free food is EVERYWHERE. Unfortunately, it's usually not healthy food. Learn how to say no to this free food once in a while. It will help in the long run.

12. Join a fitness club

It doesn't have to be anything too intense. Maybe just a kayaking club or running club. Anything that will get you up and moving, and hopefully help introduce you to some amazing people who will keep you motivated in the process.

13. The cafeteria can be your friend

I often hear people talking about how the cafeteria is so unhealthy. Yes, this can be true. BUT there are also several ways to make cafeteria food healthy. I found that I actually eat healthier now than I ever did living at home. There are so many options readily available to you - take advantage of them! Eat as many fruits and veggies as you can. If you want to indulge (which you absolutely should do once in a while!) do so in moderation. If you want some ice cream, have one scoop and a topping. Not a large bowl with several toppings every night for dinner. Have a piece of pizza, have two! But make sure to stop by the salad bar and get some veggies as a side.

14. Set realistic goals for yourself

Setting the bar too high can be as detrimental as setting it too low. When you set goals, make them realistic. Instead of trying to lose 10 pounds in one week, try to set a goal for lifting weights. Instead of quitting your unhealthy eating habits all at once, weed one out one at a time.

15. Build up your confidence

This is essential. College is your time to spread your wings and learn more about yourself than you ever had. Work to build your confidence and everything else will fall into place.