15 Signs Winter Is Coming To A Campus Near You

The beast of the dorm room heating system has been awoken.

79
Unsplash

1. Coats are making their comeback, in all different shapes and sizes

On the average walk to class, you will see girls in their giant parkas, boys still wearing shorts and t-shirts in a poorly thought-out attempt to show the weather they’re tougher, and everything in-between.

2. Lectures start to get suspiciously less crowded

You’ve probably thought about skipping a class because of the weather yourself. That 11-minute walk seems far from worth it when you can see the snow flurries from your window while you lie in bed wrapped like a burrito in blankets. You finally force yourself to fast walk to class, and when you get there you see that many people made the choice to stay in bed, wrapped burrito-tight.

3. The beast of the dorm room heating system has been awoken

Nothing beats waking up in the middle of the night sweating because they suddenly turned on the furnace. It’s either so cold you have to walk around with a blanket wrapped around you like a cape, or so hot that you have to put a wet washcloth to your head for some relief.

4. You have to switch your normal iced coffee order to something hot

No one wants to walk anymore. A lot of people are even giving up on biking. Everyone wants to take the bus. Public transit becomes increasingly more frustrating than normal in the fall and winter months.

8. There is absolutely no foot space in your classes anymore

All the coats occupy the isles and people wear bulky shoes. Slipping into a middle seat when people take all the inner and outer-most spots becomes even more awkward and cumbersome.

9. You constantly have so much more laundry to do

The outside temperature is 35 degrees in the morning when you wake up to walk to class. Your class is nearly 80 degrees. Layering becomes essential. When you get back to your dorm after class, you start sweating from all the work walking up those hills just took. Then you have to change, resulting in a larger pile of dirty laundry. The laundry room is always full. Queue, even more, frustration among the people that have to stay cooped up together for a few months.

10. You eat in a lot more

Even the two-minute walk to the dining hall becomes questionable. Is it worth it to freeze for two minutes? I’m sure the sale of frozen dinners rises because the consumption sure does.

11. You also eat a lot more in general

We don’t hibernate as humans, but when it gets cold, we eat like we do. I can only imagine that’s what Thanksgiving looks like to other species – a pre-hibernation feast. You take in a lot more calories and hate yourself for not wanting to make the short walk to the gym in the cold. The freshman fifteen and winter go together quite nicely.

12. Netflix becomes your best friend

As if Netflix wasn’t already your ride or die, starting now it asks you if you’re still watching more and more often, and is the friend you turn to when you give up on going out. Binge-watching entire seasons in a weekend was a habit you thought you may have gotten rid of, but alas- old habits never die.

13. Shoe games change

There are some people, including myself, that still try to get away with wearing Birkenstocks by rocking them with socks. For most people though, the boots that take up so much closet space are making frequent appearances and outfits have to be planned accordingly.

14. Your hair takes a beating

Hats ruin whatever styling you just did, but going without a hat subjects your ears to a brutal torture they don’t deserve. Showering during the day becomes a hassle because if you forget to blowdry your hair, it may just freeze. If you’ve never experienced ice chunks forming in your hair, you probably have the luxury of living somewhere warm. All the heat you use stresses your hair out, but we’re all still secretly celebrating that there’s no humidity to make it frizzy.

15. And finally, Christmas music begins playing a bit too early

We all know someone (or are the someone) who started playing Christmas music the first time they heard the potential for even a trace of snow in the forecast. Break out the Mariah Carey and start thinking about how you’ll deck the walls of your shoebox… I mean, dorm room…