15 Quotes About Peace To Ease You Through Trump's Presidency

"Imagine all the people living life in peace" - John Lennon
98

Hearing our president call for "fire and fury" upon other nations, discriminating against transgender people, and advocating for the deportation of thousands of immigrants truly calls to mind the desperate need for peace that this country so greatly needs. Here are 15 quotes to remind us that peace is possible through compassion and understanding.

1. "Peace cannot be achieved through violence, it can only be attained through understanding." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

2. “Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

3. “When you do the right thing, you get the feeling of peace and serenity associated with it. Do it again and again.” - Roy T. Bennett.

4. “The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.” - Marianne Williamson.

5. “If we cannot end now our differences, at least we can help make the world safe for diversity. For, in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal." - John F. Kennedy.

6. “Where ignorance is our master, there is no possibility of real peace.” - Dalai Lama XIV.

7. “Without inner peace, outer peace is impossible. We all wish for world peace, but world peace will never be achieved unless we first establish peace within our own minds. [...] Only by creating peace within our own mind and helping others to do the same can we hope to achieve peace in this world.” - Kelsang Gyatso.

8. “Love is our most unifying and empowering common spiritual denominator. The more we ignore its potential to bring greater balance and deeper meaning to human existence, the more likely we are to continue to define history as one long inglorious record of man’s inhumanity to man.” - Aberjhani.

9. “In the midst of happiness or despair/ in sorrow or in joy/ in pleasure or in pain: Do what is right and you will be at peace.” - Jess Rothenberg.

10. “Peace is not the absence of conflict but the presence of creative alternatives for responding to conflict -- alternatives to passive or aggressive responses, alternatives to violence.” - Dorothy Thompson.

11. “If there is righteousness in the heart, there will be beauty in the character. If there is beauty in the character, there will be harmony in the home. If there is harmony in the home, there will be order in the nations. When there is order in the nations, there will peace in the world.” - Confuscius.

12. “Do not be afraid to take a chance on peace, to teach peace, to live peace. [...] Peace will be the last word of history.” - Pope John Paul II.

13. “Kindness has no religion. Religions are like narrow tracks but kindness is like an open sky.” - Amit Ray.

14. “In joined hands there is still some token of hope, in the clinched fist none.” - Victor Hugo.

15. “Ultimately, we have just one moral duty: to reclaim large areas of peace in ourselves, more and more peace, and to reflect it toward others. And the more peace there is in us, the more peace there will also be in our troubled world.” - Etty Hillesum.