15 Questions I Have For Saint Vincent College

I have some questions for my home away from home.

121
Mitch Lindsay

As a freshman at Saint Vincent College, there are things that I have questions about. Like why is Benny so warm, or why the caf is so good one day, then terrible the next? These are just the beginning of the gold mine of questions that have come to mind as I completed last semester, and as I work through this one.

1. Why are all the dorms so warm?

It's so warm outside, so why is the heat on in all the buildings? You know you are actually wasting money heating them right? None of us enjoy being roasted to death while we try to study or sleep?

2. Why is the weekday breakfast so much better than weekends?

Honestly, the food during the week is actually pretty decent. However, the weekends pose a different story. As much as I love cereal, it can get pretty boring when that's one of the only options that actually seem appetizing.

3. Why does the caf smell so strange?

Like everytime I walk in there, there's such a strange smell. I couldn't being to describe it, but it's not pleasant.

4. Bedpushing?

There's a picture in the Shack that states that at one point we held a world record for bedpushing. What is bedpushing? Who's bright idea was it? What on earth is it annyway?

5. Why so many firedrills in Benny?

Seriously, I swear our freshman building has so many firedrills. Is it because freshman have burnt food, or blown up a microwave, or do you just enjoy making us all leave the building?

6. Who's bright idea was it for registration for classes to open at midnight?

That moment of trying to click that button right as the clock turns midnight causes enough stress to keep us up all night. This then results in us all going to class the next day as zombies.

7. How come the Benny path is NEVER salted after it snows before the 8:30 classes?

I fell three time in one day trying to walk to my first class of the day. I walked so carefully, I can't imagine how the girl on crutched behing me managed to not fall over.

8. Why does the Shack close so early during the week?

With the exception of Thursday and Sunday, the Shack closes by 10. What if a student gets hungry while studying on any other night of the week and they don't have anything in their room? Why? You understand most students are always up late and need food, right?

9. Why is campus feel so dead on the weekend?

I swear when I walk across campus on Saturdays and Sunday, that there's no one here. It's so quiet and feels so strange.

10. Why do people think playing the piano in Carey is good idea?

Just because there is a piano there and regardless whether you can play or not, does mean you should sit down in the middle of the day and play a diddy. Most people there are studying or trying to get work done, and playing is distracting. If you wish to play in the middle of the day, go up to the practice rooms.

11. Speaking of practice rooms, why is the third floor of Carey so warm?

Even in the middle of winter, I walk up there and I start sweating. It's kind of uncomfortable. No one wants to go up there to practice music and leave sweating buckets. It's just gross

12. What is a Bearcat?

I know it's an animal, but I don't think Vinny actually looks like a real animals. What does an actually bearcat look like and why can't Vinny look more like it? Because I personally think that Vinny looks like a racoon.

13. Why can't all the dorms have pods?

Yeah it's hard to describe what a pod is an outsider, but that's okay. The pod gives you first group of friends and relatively good place to hang out. Unless you live in 5E, because then that's questionable. Also, I know why we couldn't swipe into other pods last semester, but why couldn't we get it back this semester? It's so much easier than having to knock on the door and have people let you in.

14. Lastly, why is everyone here so friendly?

What makes everyone that comes here so friendly? I sweaer everyone person on this campus smile and wave and say hi to even total strangers. Don't get me wrong, I love it. It's what makes this place feel like home. Is there something in the water that makes everyone nice?

15. What makes this place so great?

I have an idea, but there's so many things that make Saint Vincent so great. What gives this place the charm it has? Because it's wonderful.

Even though you have your questionable things, thanks for being my second home, SVC. There's no other place I'd rather be (well other than camp). Not gonna lie, I get kinda homesick while on break. I miss waking up to see the beautiful bascilia in the morning. I miss walking through Melvin Plates on my way to class.Thanks for being actually pretty great SVC. You da best!