15 Places To Visit In NYC

15 Places To Visit In NYC

Ideas for your trip to "The Big Apple."

23
15 Places To Visit In NYC
Kate DeVita

New York City, in my opinion, is one of the greatest cities in the world. It is a place where anything can happen. One day you could be minding your own business, walking down the street, and run into a film crew. You never know who you could run into or what you will see. New York City is a great place with a variety of activities fit for a romantic trip or a friend’s night out. Here is a list of places to visit:

1. Broadway

This is where the theater district is located. You have not seen a show until you have attended a Broadway show. There are a variety of kid-friendly musicals and also more adult shows. Recently, I went to see Kinky Boots and it was one of the best shows I have ever seen in my life. The cast was beyond talented, the music was catchy, and the sets were extraordinary. Before the curtain call started, the entire theater was giving a standing ovation. I had never seen that reaction from an audience before. Truly, every show is extraordinary.

2. Dylan’s Candy Bar

This candy store is a store founded by Dylan Lauren (the daughter of Ralph Lauren). When you walk in you can smell the sweet sugar in the air. All types of candy lovers will be satisfied with the variety of choices and the multiple floors dedicated to candy. There are three locations: 33 Union Square West, 315 E 62nd Street, and 1011 3rd Ave.

3. Serendipity 3

This is a fun, eclectic restaurant known for their foot-long hot dogs and especially, the frozen hot chocolate. The frozen hot chocolate comes in a variety of flavors including: regular, mint, salty caramel, and peanut butter (my personal favorite). This is one of my favorite restaurant spots in the city because a few scenes from the film “Serendipity”, staring John Cusack and Kate Beckinsale, were filmed upstairs. Serendipity 3 is located at 225 East 60th Street.

4. Bryant Park

The park is located at 40th and 42nd Streets & Fifth and Sixth Avenues. It is a lovely park in which to have a picnic or take a romantic stroll. There are shops and cafes nearby. During the summer months "Good Morning America" holds their free summer concerts here. If you want to see your favorite artist perform I suggest getting online before 5am. In the winter, there is an ice skating rink and beautiful Christmas tree. It is a nice alternative to Rockefeller Center.

5.New York Public Library

The library is located at 5th Ave at 42nd St (right near Bryant Park). This is a lovely place to go if you are a book nerd who appreciates large libraries or if you need to cool off on a hot day. Unfortunately, I have yet to make it inside. Film crews have been known to use the outside as a filming location, so I was unable to get past the crew. Either way you can see something exciting. The building also has exquisite design and would be a real treat for architecture enthusiasts.

6.Central Park

This is a huge, beautiful park in the middle of the city. When you are in Central Park, it does not feel like you are in the city at all. It feels like a completely different space in the middle of nature. There are many different locations within the park such as The Central Park Zoo, Strawberry Fields (tribute location to the Beatles), the Alice in Wonderland statue, and so much more. It is a beautiful and inexpensive way to spend the day. It runs along 5th Ave between 57th and 110th street.

7. Alice's Tea Cup

This is a restaurant based on the children’s story "Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland" by Lewis Carroll. It is a fun place to have a meal or just dessert and tea. The menu is Alice themed and there is a special menu for just teas. The food is delicious and the atmosphere is wonderful (pun intended). Alice’s Tea Cup has 3 locations: 102 West 73rd Street, 156 East 64th Street, and 220 East 81st Street.

8. Max Brenner

Brenner's is located at 841 Broadway. It is a chocolate bar and restaurant. Max Brenner’s specializes in chocolate drinks and desserts, but they serve real food as well (I recommend any type of the Mac & Cheese). You can order dessert crepes, fondue, hot chocolate, alcoholic beverages, milkshakes, and more! This is a chocolate lover’s dream place.

9. Sugar Factory

The Sugar Factory is located at 835 Washington St (in the Meatpacking district). It is a restaurant known for its large goblet candy-themed beverages (alcoholic and non- alcoholic). It is also a place that many celebrities flock to. When you walk in there is candy and pictures of celebrity visits everywhere. Ultimately, it’s a sweet place to go with friends or a special someone. (Note: Do not attempt to drink an entire goblet beverage by yourself. It is large enough to share with someone).

10. The Metropolitan Museum of Art

The museum is located at 1000 5th Ave. It is a wonderful art museum filled with a variety of pieces from multiple time periods. The Met is famous for its rooftop view of the city (it is an Instagram worthy view). According to their website, there is a suggested admission price; however, at the museum ticket counter, the ticket amount is up to you, but they ask for you to be as generous as possible.

11. Various TV Studio Tapings

Many TV shows such as “Live with Kelly and Michael” and “The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon” tape in New York City. Both of these shows, and more, require a live studio audience. Tickets to show tapings are free, but can be hard to get. If you are interested you can go to the specific shows website or 1iota.com for more information.

12. 230 Fifth Rooftop Bar-

The bar is conveniently located at 230 5th Ave. It is a posh bar that includes heat lamps and decorated igloos (during the winter months) and bath robes in which the guests can lounge. You come for the drinks (I recommend the Bellini), but stay for the beautiful view of city skyline. (Note: You must be 21 or older to enter. If you turn 21 at midnight, they will make you wait.)

13. Empire State Building

The Empire State Building is one of the largest skyscrapers in New York City. It is a spectacular piece of architecture, at least according to Ted Mosby from “How I Met Your Mother”. The Empire State Building’s 86th floor observation deck has an incredible view of the entire city. If the height concerns you, there is an enclosed portion to view the skyline. Some visitors say they feel the building shake because they are so high up, but it is an amazing, and windy, experience. There is a reason King Kong chose to climb this building. The Empire State Building is located at 350 5th Ave.

14.Madison Square Garden (MSG)

This is the place to go for entertainment. You can see basketball and hockey games, as well as concerts. This is one of my favorite indoor arenas. For more information on Madison Square Garden Events you can visit their website or Ticketmaster.com. MSG is located at 4 Pennsylvania Plaza.

15.National September 11 Memorial & Museum

This is a place that every American should visit at some point in their life. I have not visited yet, but it is at the top of my list. I have heard how quiet and moving it is to be in the presence of this location. I look forward to paying my respects. The Memorial and Museum is located at 180 Greenwich Street.

Overall, there is an abundance of activities and adventures waiting for you. Take the time to enjoy and respect New York City.